Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collaborative music project ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 07:24
I have no problems in "working in parallel". My original idea was to put no more than one track each on each song, but why putting limits to creativity? I think we can do multiple tracks at a time. Instead, I'm thinking about driving the process. I suggest that the author of the initial track has the right to cut/paste/delete/modify what comes. Changes can be discussed, but this is part of the normal process of composing when in a band. An idea can be accepted or rejected, or accepted in part.

Let's see what happens. 

P.S: - may I have an invite to song #3?

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 07:38
^Sounds good to me. By all means, people can go haywire with what they come up with. (we still need a vocalist) 
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 08:57
Well, the initial burst of creativity seems to have spawned 3 tunes... I wouldn't want to start any more at this stage definitely.

All 3 are at a pretty embryonic stage, and I personally feel it would be nice to get an idea of structure for each, as in: how's it going to run start-to-finish? What other musical elements may be needed?

I was hoping to have a look at all three from that point of view, and I think at the moment I could contribute to all three in that sense.

But after that... I'd say yeah: one song at a time is a good plan!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 15:04
Three different songs with some bridges to connect them have made Atom Heart Mother some years ago. 
Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 10:50
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

P.S: - may I have an invite to song #3?

But of course!  PM sent :)
Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 13:23
I have someone in mind for vocals, but want to wait until things are a bit more together. Even if it's just for one track... she's a great singer - almost androgynous voice, maybe somewhere between Geddy Lee and Grace Slick!
Not sure if she's into prog as-such, but would be nice to have something fairly nice to entice her with! She collaborates on bandlab already so that's hopeful at least.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 17:38
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Let's see... song name.. song name, that's tricky, here's some ideas:
Eastern Numbers

You mean the early working title for "Awaken" by Yes?  Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 17:39
^Shhhhh that's definitely not where I got that from
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 17:40
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

^Shhhhh that's definitely not where I got that from

LOL Beer
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 18:44
Interested to hear what you all come up with.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 06:38
Re: song #3

I think an organ in Niacin style would fit well, but I'm not sure to be skilled enough for a thing like that. I'm not a keyboardist. In case I'm brave enough t attempt, or anybody else comes in, I suggest making your guitar and drums tracks a bit longer. I'd wait some bars before the organ enters.

I see no other mates are joining the first two tracks. No more volunteers? I'm avoiding adding other stuff to the first two tracks in order to let to others enough room to add their ideas.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 06:56
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Re: song #3

I think an organ in Niacin style would fit well, but I'm not sure to be skilled enough for a thing like that. I'm not a keyboardist. In case I'm brave enough t attempt, or anybody else comes in, I suggest making your guitar and drums tracks a bit longer. I'd wait some bars before the organ enters.

I see no other mates are joining the first two tracks. No more volunteers? I'm avoiding adding other stuff to the first two tracks in order to let to others enough room to add their ideas.

I'm busy working on a second album right now, but I'll see what I can contribute

GUD77 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUD77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 12:08
I heard the synth part on Dreams of eastern snow and combined with the guitar I think it sounds a lot more like Space Rock. Il see if I can record some drums for it over the weekend.
Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 12:19
Originally posted by GUD77 GUD77 wrote:

I heard the synth part on Dreams of eastern snow and combined with the guitar I think it sounds a lot more like Space Rock. Il see if I can record some drums for it over the weekend.

Guilty as charged! Space rock is my vibe I have to admit :)

I still haven't found time to really arrange much of a piece out of it... but cool if u want to try something that would be great.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 12:23
Originally posted by Megistus Megistus wrote:

Originally posted by GUD77 GUD77 wrote:

Guilty as charged! Space rock is my vibe I have to admit :)

I still haven't found time to really arrange much of a piece out of it... but cool if u want to try something that would be great.

If people record some bits, I can arrange things

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 14:25
I've been reading this thread off and on for a while and think it's a great idea and hope more musicians can throw in the pot.

If anyone is interested, I could upload the isolated drums file. I always liked how I recorded these, stereo, but two different mics, and always wanted music on top, but I did upload a song with bass and sax. It could use some guitar (and whatever else).

My one problem would be finding the chords! I'd have to hop on the piano and try to figure it out, which would probably take a while.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 14:53
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I've been reading this thread off and on for a while and think it's a great idea and hope more musicians can throw in the pot.

If anyone is interested, I could upload the isolated drums file. I always liked how I recorded these, stereo, but two different mics, and always wanted music on top, but I did upload a song with bass and sax. It could use some guitar (and whatever else).

My one problem would be finding the chords! I'd have to hop on the piano and try to figure it out, which would probably take a while.

Im Game!

You can email me the drums as a wav. file because I use NCH Mixpad.  Or send them as working files 

(I might be able to open em.)

It would be nice if you could make a separate Wav. for your drum tracks, and a separate wav. for your layered music.  Just the two.      

If you send the whole mix as a wav. I can work with it too, but there is not a whole lot of room left.

I spied a little magic in your style at 3:00 to 3:35 or so, Maybe I could expound on that nice riffing there.

It would be fun.

New to this thread. Was active here many years ago and just came back!
Looking to collaborate in some way.

[email protected]   My Name is Rick.

Edited by Valdez1 - February 14 2024 at 15:13
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 15:45
Good to hear about Space Rock. Before trying to add anything to the three tracks I'd like to wait for others to join in. As soon as I can I'll add the organ track, but my intention is to just give an idea of what I mean waiting for a proper keyboardist to replace it.
Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 16:26
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

This is good stuff!

Sounds like song #4  (as you probably know we already have 3 embryonic song ideas on bandlab)

I like the drum recording, nice open jazzy feel.
Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2024 at 16:28
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

Im Game!

You can email me the drums as a wav. file because I use NCH Mixpad.  Or send them as working files 

(I might be able to open em.)

It would be nice if you could make a separate Wav. for your drum tracks, and a separate wav. for your layered music.  Just the two.      

If you send the whole mix as a wav. I can work with it too, but there is not a whole lot of room left.

I spied a little magic in your style at 3:00 to 3:35 or so, Maybe I could expound on that nice riffing there.

It would be fun.

New to this thread. Was active here many years ago and just came back!
Looking to collaborate in some way.

[email protected]   My Name is Rick.

Hey Rick!  Do keep us all informed of what you do with this tune. I'm happy to contribute guitar and/or mixing skills.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>