Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are male vocalists more popular than female inPROG
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre male vocalists more popular than female inPROG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 08:04

Is this a man singing or a girl Confused (sounds like a girl to me LOL)

Great female vocals!
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 08:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

More prevalent, yes.  More popular?

QFT.

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah....   after having singers like Richard, and David make me question my sexuality with the sensual powers of their voices LOL it is nice to have a female singer, whose voice makes me feel like a MAN again haha.

btw... beats by light-years song of that sh*t that comes out of female fronted prog-metal bands.

how can people listen to that stuff...  god awful operatic styliings...

In the main you are correct here re the Gothic divas after the 'monochrome makeover',  but please give Diablo Swing Orchestra a fair go (as they say down under) - maybe the exception to 'da rool bro'. (as they say everywhere)

I don't know if DSO is really a good counter-example. Sure, they may intentionally frame it in absurdity, but the most of the female vocals are pretty standard (especially on Butcher's Ballroom).
Hail Eris!
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 15:16
I think that the female voice is much better than the male voice actually, but as you said, I can't think of many prog bands with female vocalists.   I quite enjoy the singers on National Health's self titled.  Also always liked the singer on the Bruford albums. 

In psychedelic rock I listen to more female singers.  Jefferson Airplane, United States of America to name some.
EdgeOfTheWorld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 16:45
I think in terms of the British prog scene female vocals seem to be at the top of the tree. It's nice to see good UK prog bands like Touchstone taking melodic female vocals and not plastering them with operatic frills.
A Torn Mind | Scottish Progressive Rock
www.atornmind.com
www.myspace.com/atornmindband
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2010 at 12:20
Originally posted by ignatiusrielly ignatiusrielly wrote:

Well, with a few exceptions like Sonja Kristina, she is an amazing singer...and used to be so beautiful tha I would have surely fallen in love with her had I been born 15 years earlier!!!!

I did fall in love with her when I was a teenager, and was fortunate enough to see Curved Air live a couple of times in the mid 70's.

Sonja was a truly amazing performer, and dare I suggest: the ultimate rock chick?
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 08:34
Speaking as a female vocalist, I myself prefer male voices in all rock music... Few women have pulled it off I feel because it appears to me that rock music requires a voice with depth, soul and some guts about it. Two females I have much respect for are Janis Joplin and Grace Slick, they are the two women who set the standard for female rock vocals and frontmanship without a doubt and I'm still waiting to hear someone who can compete with them...
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 04:53
Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

Two females I have much respect for are Janis Joplin and Grace Slick, they are the two women who set the standard for female rock vocals and frontmanship without a doubt and I'm still waiting to hear someone who can compete with them...
Angela Gossow ?
No, just kidding. Her hiring surely helped boost Arch Enemy sales though...

Women vocalists are the best in soul/ black music (etta james, aretha franklin, yvonne fair, minnie ripperton, randy crawford, tracy chapman...)
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 19:31

I have nothing else to say....
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 19:32
That Pentangle song is wonderfulClap 
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 19:35
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

That Pentangle song is wonderfulClap 

That entire album is wonderful
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 19:42
Some female vocals get on my nerves, where as I can usually take most male singers, even if I don't always particularly like them. 

However, when a woman's voice IS good, it's gooooooood. Clap
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 19:46
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Some female vocals get on my nerves, where as I can usually take most male singers, even if I don't always particularly like them. 

However, when a woman's voice IS good, it's gooooooood. Clap

Well said, I think this is because a poor female singer = shrill and this obviously is more offputting than a poor male singer. 
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 20:15
...and I forgot about this one:

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 20:22
I am surprised no body brought this up (and I cannot believe I forgot about it )

Edited by ProgressiveAttic - March 01 2010 at 20:25

jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 20:33
I am a huge fan of good female vocals - Anne Wilson of Heart is one of my favorite vocalists of all time, and early Heart albums definitely contain some classic proggy tunes (Soul of the Sea, Song of the Archer, Mistral Wind are as proggy as any early Tull). But I have yet to hear anyone since who is nearly as good. Anne Wilson is very ballsy - she can belt with a lot of emotion, strength, and covers a lot of styles form soft to rocking. Other singers like Joni Mitchell and Sandy Denny are great, though more on the softer style. But most of the female vocals I hear in bands like Magenta, Glass Hammer, IZZ, seem a little too flat and lack the strength of the others I noted...almost like they were recorded in an apartment where they are afraid to wake up the neighbors.

Maybe the problem isn't the vocalists, but the men who are producing them!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 21:30
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

I am surprised no body brought this up (and I cannot believe I forgot about it )

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, this must be the worst vocal interpetetion of this song (particularly the first singer). She's really screaming in a rather unpleasant way what is originally a very beautiful song. Ofcourse the original is superb and shouldn't be overlooked.
progressive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 00:27
Originally posted by Mind_Drive Mind_Drive wrote:

Hi everybody, i have a big problem...
I just wondered why all of my favourite vocalists are male.. then i was confused because i suddenly could not think of any band i really love with a female vocalist. is this a prog-related phenomenon or why are there so few female singers in this genre?
- -

Do you mean prog-related or prog-related?

Hmm, when thinking of it, many female singers seems to be in some kind of more avant-garde and obscure bands... well, avant-prog, folk, and then symphonic & "avant-garde" metal.

But I've loved almost all of them, and I know quite much, but don't want to name anyone. Actually I don't even know the names. Well, I say Dagmar Krause from Henry Cow.

But the reason why they aren't so popular...

How many woman players there are? Not so much. Women aren't so much into prog.

But when there are those female vocalists, why don't some people like them? Male vocals are many times softer, deeper, more consistent, and not so irritating (that's partly because of the customs). There can be some expectations for female singers, like "It should be f*ckable voice", or "I hate it when I start to think f*cking and I hate that kind of human customs", or "I want to be alone, I'm afraid of rare things like women".
Somehow female vocals are more peculiar. It has something to do with evolution.

Anyway, I'd say that those who don't like female vocals are bad people. People should go inside themselves and really listen to the music.

Though, I also love male vocals that sound like female. Or somehow pitiful. Or peculiar. Ok, not always. And maybe the problem is me, when I try to aim to the odd things.

► rateyourmusic.com/~Fastro 2672 ratings ▲ last.fm/user/Fastro 5556 artists ▲ www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=4933 266◄
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 20:11
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, this must be the worst vocal interpetetion of this song (particularly the first singer). She's really screaming in a rather unpleasant way what is originally a very beautiful song. Ofcourse the original is superb and shouldn't be overlooked.

well I didn't watch this video... you know... take the studio version as the reference

Edited by ProgressiveAttic - March 03 2010 at 11:09

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2010 at 21:36
Well, the version on Pulse is much better than this one, but still the original rules.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345