Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAussie Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 00:19
I know little, but what I heard was quite nice.

Sebastian Hardie/Windchase is great, especially the Windchase album from 1977 - Symphinity.
Unitopia - liked what I heard, great band
Anubis - very good neo-prog
Voyager - great power-prog, I've listened to three of their albums.
Karnivool - sounds good, I need to explore more
Circles - I saw them featured here on PA, one of the few djent albums I listen to every once in a while.

Be'lakor - not prog, but one of the best metal bands I've heard lately, fans of Opeth should give this band a chance.

Edited by Cristi - February 08 2015 at 00:24
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 23:57
Aussie prog does seem to be doing well at the moment, there's a small festival called ProgFest being held annually in multiple cities, and multiple bands are getting attention.

That said, it's not exactly diverse- there's a heavy/prog metal scene and there's an instrumental/post/math scene, and that's the vast majority of Australian prog covered. 

The prog metal scene is not something I particularly love, but a bunch of bands like Arcane and Anubis seem to be getting a lot of love by followers of the genre. A lot of people in the 00's also talked about the 'Australian alt metal sound', led by Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, Cog and The Butterfly Effect. Karnivool would be my favourite Australian band, 'Sound Awake' is phenomenal.

The instrumental scene is surprisingly strong (and more up my alley), the biggest names are probably Sleepmakeswaves and Tangled Thoughts of Leaving- here's a good overview: http://arcticdrones.com/staff-picks/australian-instrumental-rock/ I went to see Tangled Thoughts a few months back, supported by Brisbane band Hazards of Swimming Naked and NZ's Kerretta, for an overly loud all-instrumental night of music.

Also no one's yet mentioned Closure in Moscow, or Tame Impala, the latter of which isn't exactly prog but would be of interest to most prog fans.

Edited by Kazza3 - February 08 2015 at 00:00
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 22:54
Can't go past Sebastian Hardie (or their later Windchase incarnation) as far as classic, Aussie Prog goes. I live here and don't know much else (Aragon, Unitopia, that's about it).
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 22:09
Big fan. If you're into metal, there's not much better than Chaos Divine. Their first album sucks, their second is one of my favourite metal albums of all time, and their third (soon to come) looks like it won't have much metal in it at all

Also:
Arcane
Breaking Orbit
Dead Letter Circus (if they are really prog)
Battle Circus (from NZ but have the Aussie "sound")
Hemina (kinda metal)
Quiet Child
Projected Twin
Eleventh He Reaches London

And Ne Obliviscaris if you like extreme stuff
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 21:23
Aussie Prog Rock is great, with a bunch of gifted young bands and artists as e.g. Plini, 22 yrs old guitarist and composer from Sydney.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 18:55
I also like the Merlin Bird, a fine prog-folk recording as well as the sensational Resonaxis, a band that has church-organ as lead instrument. Delicious! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
k3no444 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 18:46
Hey everyone! I'm hoping everyone is having a great weekend. I'm looking for new albums to review on my blog, and noticed that I've been writing a lot about Australian prog rock bands. I really dig the bands Karnivool, Caligula's Horse, Hibernal, Full Code, Anubis and more. How many here are fans of Aussie prog rock? Does anyone have other suggestions to list in my blog?

Check out my blog if you're looking for something to pass the time.

Have a proggy weekend! Big smile
Please check out my music blog and follow me on Twitter!

http://kenoalbumreview.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/kenoalbumreview
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123