Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion were only a big deal for Brits?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 22:29
I am in a prog community in Second Life. One of the people is a huge Marillion lover, loves everything from them, their solo works, spin-offs etc. One is a Marillion hater. The lover is... American! The hater is... English! Go figure! LOL
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 15:55
Their debut album in '85 was a big deal among our prog loving community in Michigan--and I remember "Kayleigh" being an MTV 'hit.' I, personally, never really caught onto them. They toured as warmup of Sylvian-Torn-Isham in 87--my friend met the massive man that is Fish at the bar--but I was much more into Sylvian, Torn and Isham than the "Gabe-era Genesis revivalists." 

Never knew anything of their demise and transition into "Hogarth era" until I joined PA in 2008! 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 16:05
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Their debut album in '85 was a big deal among our prog loving community in Michigan--and I remember "Kayleigh" being an MTV 'hit.' I, personally, never really caught onto them. They toured as warmup of Sylvian-Torn-Isham in 87--my friend met the massive man that is Fish at the bar--but I was much more into Sylvian, Torn and Isham than the "Gabe-era Genesis revivalists." 

Never knew anything of their demise and transition into "Hogarth era" until I joined PA in 2008! 

Debut was Script for a Jester's Tear in '83. The '85 album that featured Kayleigh was their third.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 17:14
I understand there is a big following in NL as well, all these Marillion weekends etc?

But then again UK and NL are little siblings in prog...
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 17:30
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

So they never broke the US. So what? Cracking America is not the be all and end all. And no US prog band has ever really cracked the UK. Did Kansas ever chart in the UK? No. And it doesn't matter.

Carry on Wayward Son charted in the UK, and all the Fish-era albums charted in the US but you're right, that doesn't validate a band, nor does lack of commercial success invalidate one.

Personally I loved all the Fish-era Marillion albums and considered them a refreshing departure from a lot of the tripe that was being pushed out in the early 80s on both sides of the pond (you can't blame us for Kajagoogoo or Flock of a Seagulls).

Marillion didn't achieve popular success here but I personally know several people who own some of their albums so at least they appealed to some with discerning taste.   
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 05:10

Frankly, what any other country thinks of them is irrelevant.

They have a large cult following in Britain which has kept them in business for nearly 40 years.

8 top 10 albums including a no 1, 4 other top 40 albums. That's a good start. And they sold well in Germany and other European nations too.

So they never broke the US. So what? Cracking America is not the be all and end all. And no US prog band has ever really cracked the UK. Did Kansas ever chart in the UK? No. And it doesn't matter.

I was going to say pretty much the same. They were pretty big across Europe.

I think they suported Rush around the time of Fugazi, in the US/Canada to a rather lukewarm reception, especially in the US. The Real to Reel live album was recorded in Montreal, and that sounded like quite a well recieved gig.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 09:52
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Frankly, what any other country thinks of them is irrelevant.

They have a large cult following in Britain which has kept them in business for nearly 40 years.

8 top 10 albums including a no 1, 4 other top 40 albums. That's a good start. And they sold well in Germany and other European nations too.

I was going to say pretty much the same. They were pretty big across Europe.

I think they suported Rush around the time of Fugazi, in the US/Canada to a rather lukewarm reception, especially in the US. The Real to Reel live album was recorded in Montreal, and that sounded like quite a well recieved gig.

The band still have a strong Canadian following, and, in line with other 80's survivors, do well in Eastern Europe. They also seem to be breaking into Latin America.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 12:37
Personally - I remember the video for kayleigh (i was 14 i think), and then getting the album and thinking 'hm', and never listening to it again

I think alot of US folks had that experience

I do tend to think that like the Kinks, and the Jam, Marillion was slightly too British in certain ways to really click in the US

Not knocking anything though - many things that click in the US are horrible crimes against humanity and civilization - sorry

Edited by Gully Foyle - June 19 2017 at 12:38
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 13:44
"Kayleigh" definitely got airplay on MTV in the US and on some rock radio stations, and even some alt rock stations. I was getting into prog at around this time and a local station had a prog program on Sunday nights and the DJ played full sides of Misplaced Childhood. My college roommate wasn't into prog but had heard of them because of MTV. I saw them when they toured to support Misplaced Childhood in 86 and Clutching At Straws in 87, and they did pack, but these were 1,000 to 2,000 capacity clubs. Thinking back to that time, the type of rock music that my peers listened to was mostly new wave/alternative or hard rock/hair metal, and Marillion did not fit in either space.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 13:53
I'm surprised to find out that Misplaced Childhood charted at number 47 in the US. Note: The source didn't say for how many weeks however, however. Be that as it may, that one high chart placing seems to represent a brief flash in the pan as opposed to any substantial fan frenzy.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 13:59
I don't entirely agree. Sure, Marillion can probably sell out 10-15,000 seat venues in the UK and probably nowhere else but I wouldn't say they aren't well known anywhere else. In the US they have mostly a cult following and not much more than that. I live in the US and when I saw them late last year they played to an almost completely full 1,300 seat venue. I would say in the eighties they were just about the only current prog(neo or otherwise)band to get any airplay or recognition over here. I don't think even IQ were known(or hardly at all)among most prog fans in the US in the eighties. Marillion at least did get some attention. I think  a lot of their US fans these days aren't even really prog fans but just fans who happen to like Marillion(you could probably say the same about Tool, Mars Volta, PT/SW, Dream Theater and a host of other bands). To answer the question I would say no not really. From what I have heard they are apparently big in South America.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 14:24
Oh, no doubt old boy! Marillion are definitely better known in the US than many of their neo prog contemporaries, but they are still a cult band, none the less.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 05:16
They were known and rather popular in the Netherlands since the release of their debut album.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 05:24
Well - their very early stuff (released on tape - a friday rock show session as well I think) was excellent. But then they released their debut album - and the versions of their best stuff - COMPLETELY RUINED !!! They were far too frightened to play the extended stuff They had played live in the early eighties.
My favourite ever gig? - PALLAS at the Gallery in Manchester in front of about ten people -  The Atlantis suite (extended to hell) lasting about 90 minutes - with march on Atlantis about 20 mins - mellotron (and bombast) to die for!!! - The album versions just pale imitations - Only the Flower Kings dared to go REALLY to town with extended stuff on recordings...and Transatlantic before the god-squad lyrics....Eighties prog needed to go all-out-prog and they were too frightened !!!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 05:58
^I doubt very much Marillion were "frightened".

More likely they were subject to the ever limited nature of the vinyl format unlike the later bands mentioned. Secondly they had to have a certain amount of material on a record to generate concomitant royalties (as this form of income was still possible for a while yet). Thirdly they had to please a record company who were very aware that (thanks to the awful punk thing a few years before) that a rock band had to demonstrate song man ship - general public don't care about musicianship. Fourthly the had material that could be extended - unusual for a prog band as most either did not improvise then had pieces (such as what KC when they rear their head) is have pieces which are improvisations. Marillion know their audience and also had to break through to the public imagination hence the visual aspect.

And the reception in the UK was also subject to mindless popular perception. I once got a book about Marillion out from a library. The librarian (female) sneered at my choice of reading matter. I just thought the word then and now is still fugazi.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 06:23
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Well - their very early stuff (released on tape - a friday rock show session as well I think) was excellent. But then they released their debut album - and the versions of their best stuff - COMPLETELY RUINED !!! They were far too frightened to play the extended stuff They had played live in the early eighties.

You were one of those guys shouting for Grendel at every gig eh?

Edited by Mascodagama - June 20 2017 at 06:23
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 06:54
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

there were some acts that were huge successes in Britain--Marillion and even XTC---but never caught on in the USA----the British always had better taste in music than AMericans---with a much broader sense of good sound

You can add The Jam to that list, though they and XTC are very British. Mind you, The Jam were sent out as a support act to Blue Oyster Cult.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 07:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

there were some acts that were huge successes in Britain--Marillion and even XTC---but never caught on in the USA----the British always had better taste in music than AMericans---with a much broader sense of good sound

You can add The Jam to that list, though they and XTC are very British. Mind you, The Jam were sent out as a support act to Blue Oyster Cult.

Oh man, that must of been interesting.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 09:14
I can say that I had never heard of Marillion until I started listening to Transatlantic and decided to check out The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard and Marillion since I had never heard those bands before.  I was later surprised to find out that Marillion had toured with Rush (but this was prior to my Rush listening days) and that they had had a "hit" on MTV with Kayleigh.  I watched MTV quite often back in the day and discovered a lot of new bands that way, but I don't recall ever seeing the Kayleigh video. 
Andis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 11:00
In Sweden Marillion was a big deal. In 1987 they sold out Isstadion wich was (by then) Swedens biggest hockeystadium. Their songs were played on national radio and most people I knew listened to them. I remember when they released the single Incommunicado from Clutching at straws, the day it was released, it was announced as that days big happening at the national radio's music show.

So, not only a big deal for Brits.
"Be yourself. The world worships the original." - Ingrid Bergman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>