Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do believe that females are progressive musicians?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo believe that females are progressive musicians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 02:08
Originally posted by Marissaelene Marissaelene wrote:

The music industry has created a hostile environment for women...because when you have women being backed continually by all male bands, it speak volumes to the world as to what role in society women must take....What people in general in that industry think of the competency level of women ...Almost all bands in that industry have all male bands backing one woman...that is a bit unbalanced...a pervasive attitude that women are incompetent or less competent or in need of help...That is really not progressive thinking...

A majority of prog musicians is male, but it does not take me too long to find some bands with female musicians (and by "musicians" I don't mean front end vocalists): Anekdoten, Anima Mundi, Il Tempio delle Clessidre, Unreal City a.o., not to mention some very competent female solo artists who don't need anyone else to write their own material (Kate Bush, Hiromi Uehara). All this fuss about gender seems more than a bit exaggerated to me. I guess you don't live in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 03:12
I haven't seen the locked thread, so I cannot comment. I do know, though, that admin rarely do this without good reason.

The OP has, reasonably, been asked to place a link to the YouTube channel. We can then have a decent conversation about the merits, or otherwise, of the OP's music and tastes. If this is not done, then I would tend to the opinion that this is not what it seems, and also lock this thread and ban the OP for trolling, sorry.

BTW, to avoid all doubt in the matter, I love women, whether in a band, in the workplace, in the home, anywhere. Far nicer than all those horrible, sweaty, blokes............
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 03:24
WTF ??   Prog chicks rule !! Overall, I’d say Progressive Rock is not gender-defining........Extreme Metal is NOT gender defining either. Folks who think that certain music appeals to any one gender are severely deluded..........
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 04:02
Welcome to the site. I hope you realise that you are barking up the wrong tree. I can't remember the last time we had one of those 'men are superior to women' kind of fellas on here...and if we do come across them we mock them and throw them in the pillory for all to see.
The occasional women who do make music inside the prog sphere are welcomed here in the same way men are. It's just music. Loads of members on here who listen to music either made or contributed by women.
As a matter of fact I am putting on some Diamanda Galas right this minute.

Then again, as Laz mentioned, this whole two-thread crusade against something the OP thinks she can infer by some old thread where supposedly old timey male bigots acted all midieval, smells like trolling and/or like the OP has got a score to settle. Methinks she'd be better off actually locating the proper arena/person before she makes her accusations.
I certainly can't indentify anyone member that correlates with what she's saying.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 04:29
Women in rock are indeed second class citizens as rock has always been a "boys club". There are sociological reasons for this that are beyond my understanding. However, I've been a long time live sound engineer for many big and small rock artists. Mostly all male bands. I can tell you that I feel that females don't help their cause by being groupies. I could probably count the number of groupies I've seen over the years in the hundreds. And this extends to some prog bands too! Believe it or not.

Does this excuse your plight? Absolutely not. But no effect exists without some self inflicted causes, unfortunately.

Edited by SteveG - December 28 2017 at 09:25
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 04:42
Two words.

1. Rachel

2. Flowers

Possibly as fine a musician as exists upon the face of the planet right now.
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 05:44
I don't think gender has anything to do with talent. When you are good, the music will speak for itself. Male or female artists/composers does not determine my listening or buying the music, but it's quality, so don't think that because you are a female I will not give your music the attention it deserves. As far as I know, most people would do the same. 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 07:05
I think Annie Haslam, Kate Bush, Christina Boothe, Heather Findlay, Maire Brennan, Angel on Heavy Syrup just to mention a few, are all female...where's the point? 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 07:16
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I don't think gender has anything to do with talent. When you are good, the music will speak for itself. Male or female artists/composers does not determine my listening or buying the music, but it's quality, so don't think that because you are a female I will not give your music the attention it deserves. As far as I know, most people would do the same. 

Exactly. It sounds as if the OP is suffering attacks from a very small but very vocal group of trolls who have little else to do but post sh*t on the internet. How small their lives must be.

Edited by Jeffro - December 28 2017 at 07:17
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 07:18
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I think you Marissa started very important discussion. I started also same kind of, but didnīt manage put my words right way. I think the main point in that was, why still in 2000 there are so little women in prog? Yes, world have gone forward in this male/female thing, but I think itīs still menīs world. What proves is that "me too"-campaign. I have heard many actors, musicians that are female said, itīs still very common if you try to go forward in your career "you have to please so certain producers (that are men)". I think also itīs very naive to say "nobody in this forum doesnīt want to ban you". I think here are quite much people round the world and really all the men donīt think like I think. In Finland for example certain way thinking female politics get the most of the rubbish through the internet (well quite often also men who are feminists). And the reactions "donīt claim, just quietly do your thing" just shows that this is important issue the world really shouldnīt quiet. And if somebodyīs going to attack against me, I am not answering anymore, I think I have said what I have to say.

I agree it is an important discussion as to why there are more women in prog, however is it really men keeping women from becoming part of it? A female band can just as easily self-create and self-produce any music and put it out on Bandcamp as can men. So in effect, the music industry is no longer a big boys club that grabs women by the throat and makes them do things against their will in order to put out their music. I am quite sympathetic to women who are subjected to such crimes against their volition but i'm just not convinced that most women are interested in the more abstract forms of music in my experience. Personally i would LOVE to see more female equality in this department. BTW, the same goes for extreme metal. I have not met a single female specimen who's into Gorguts, Atheist, Cynic and the most extreme examples of metal as males are. Let's fact it. Men and women have differences and it's OK. We don't have to be so politically correct that we forgot our own natural differences. As i stated before. Women should band together and create an alternative industry if they feel they are being held back. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 08:04
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I think Annie Haslam, Kate Bush, Christina Boothe, Heather Findlay, Maire Brennan, Angel on Heavy Syrup just to mention a few, are all female...where's the point? 
You forgot Mellow Candle! So good! Smile
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 08:17
On the last Purson album, composer Rosalie Cunningham played most of the instruments herself.  This album was very well received, not only here, but at other prog sites as well.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 08:36

I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to collaborate with you.  
You sound like a real pleasure to work with.  

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 08:52
I think there's more to this story than the OP is letting us in on...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 08:59
One thing that pisses me off regarding this is the choice of words used. Very confrontational in all black and white. No room for in-betweens.
It is also rather unpleasant to see so many friendly responses completely neglected by the OP. Instead she seems fixed on whatever agenda she is pushing. The tone in which she initially started all this does not deserve the welcome it got...but then again in these metoo times we're all walking on eggshells and beating around the bush. The fact of the matter is, a rude person is not rude because of gender just like great music is great music regardless of gender.
I don't run down to the American embassy in Copenhagen and spit on the people who work there because I am cross with Donald Trump.
There is no hidden agenda here on PA. We believe in equal rights for women and men. We are modern like that.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 09:27
I believe that the lady was trying to elicit a response from the male PA members. And she succeeded! Tongue
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 09:50
She hasn’t posted any link to her music. She might be a troll
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 09:58
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

She hasn’t posted any link to her music. She might be a troll

The same thought occurred to me. But I just checked her. She has a YouTube account under the nickname virgorouge, at least this account serves as a channel for the music of a certain Marissa Elene Nadieja. There is also a website virgorouge.com.

-o0o-

For introduction purposes, here is one of her vids. A homebrew performance in the vein of "Kate Bush with batwings meets Nico":

Edited by someone_else - December 28 2017 at 10:06
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 10:05
Women complaining bitterly that they are somehow being persecuted (when they are not) is one of the main reasons why some men react in an adverse manner to women. I know of no-one on this site who has an anti-woman agenda. Anti-militant feminist, maybe, and I include myself in that category, but I am equally against misogynists as well.

Personally, I love the contributions that Annie Haslam, Heather Findlay, Olivia Sparnenn-Josh, Anne-Marie Helder, Rachel Jones, Rachel Hall, Karen Matheson, Kate Bush, Sonja Kristina, Christina Booth, Joanne Hogg, Angela Gordon, Tarja Turunen, Anneke van Giersbergen and many, many more women have made to prog.

So please, get that chip off your shoulder. If you have talent, it doesn't matter which gender you are.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 10:25
I really wish there more were female members here -- I've collaborated on more creative projects with women than men.

Anyway, I love the music of plenty of women. Just yesterday I listened to music of Vashti Bunyan and Linda Perhacs (I adore progressive folk music) and Kate Bush is a favourite of many here, including me. And in the last week I've played Aranis and Charming Hostess, both of which have female and male musicians. I am aware of more female vocalists than musicians, and more female musicians than composers, it's true.

Anyone who uploads original videos to youtube needs a thick skin and need to not develop any persecution complex -- there will be criticism both constructive and otherwise. Take it in stride. Get too defensive or offensive, and expect that people will be offensive. An antagonistic attitude makes it look like one has a chip on one's shoulder and people are likely to be less sympathetic and tolerant. I'm sorry of you've had really bad experiences.

Incidentally, by looking up you name I checked out your music on youtube and enjoyed it, but if I didn't, then it wouldn't be because of your sex. I'm often appalled by what people say in places such as Youtube and Twitter. I think a s general rule people should think, if one is posting something that one wouldn't be willing to say to a person's face they should think twice before saying it online.

In these days of self-produced music, there is more opportunity to create music. I personally have known many women who play instruments (mostly classical music), and if women want to learn to play, create bands, and release music then they can (of course there are more fredoms in some societies than others). If people wish to purchase it or attend concerts, that's another matter. Even IF, and I don't believe this to be the case, no men would give them the time of day, there's an opportunity with fifty percent of the human population (at least depending upon the society one lives in).

Incidentally, we have other female musicians at PA despite women being the minority here -- while it seems that not so many women are into prog as men, and Prog is male heavy, maybe that will change over time. Rock, in general, has something of a machismo image, but Progressive Rock I rather think tends to appeal to more sensitive people (not classifying women as "sensitive" in case my point is missed in the context of my ramblings). I also find Progressive Rock fans generally tolerant and appreciate diversity (I mean, we accept lots of styles of music thrown into Prog and enjoy such music from around the world with very diverse influences).

It is a shame that this wasn't approached in a different manner. Had a friendly newbie introduction without assumptions been posted, I expect there would have been a very warm welcome. In this thread I think people have been quite understanding and considerate.

On another, another note, I have seen sexist comments here now and again, but such stuff has commonly not been tolerated.

While you music is easy to find without links, maybe try posting some of your music and ask for honest feedback. We have a policy here to be considerate of our fellow members (avoid sniping, trolling, personal attacks), but that doesn't mean that people can't be critical (and constructive criticism can be really helpful). EDIT: multi-taking so hadn't seen that your music has been linked to. I also got a Kate Bush vibe from it.

Welcome to PA, and maybe we can put any negativity behind us (I don't think people here are generally the types to bear grudges so don't worry if you feel we may have got off on the wrong foot). I would like to hear more details of your story as it does seem, as has been said, there's more going on here than is obvious and spelled-out.

Edited by Logan - December 28 2017 at 10:28
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>