Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do believe that females are progressive musicians?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo believe that females are progressive musicians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 08:43
When hostages are taken the women and children are always released first.  Titanic sinks... men go to a watery grave while women and children escape.   Women want to cherry pick equality.  "I'll take equal pay but I don't want to pay for "movie and dinner date.""
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 08:46
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

When hostages are taken the women and children are always released first.  Titanic sinks... men go to a watery grave while women and children escape.   Women want to cherry pick equality.  "I'll take equal pay but I don't want to pay for "movie and dinner date.""

Cindy, I have to say that, coming from a lady member of the forum, that is a very interesting statement, and one that, if it came from a bloke, would attract opprobrium of the highest order!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 09:32
^Yes, and an old friend of mine wants to know if Cindy has a sister.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 12:27
I've read through all the pages of this rather odd thread, and if I'm correct that the OP's point is that she's a woman prog musician and isn't getting enough notice or recognition for her abilities because of her gender, then guess what?  It happens to ALL prog musicians male or female so get over yourself.  Maybe your music just isn't good enough, or maybe it's amazing but nobody cares?  So what.  Welcome to the world where art intersects commerce and very few are lucky or good enough or good and lucky enough to break through.

Meanwhile, hope you keep making music because you want to not because you think there's some carrot at the end of a stick awaiting your efforts Wink

HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 19:10
Full stop.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 23:17
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I think I made a mistake when starting this with you. If you don´t see, this world has been men´s world and still is many ways (there are still different wages for men and women in FINLAND), this is just useless. I have been a little time in this forum, so I can´t say has there been gender discrimination or not here. But that discussion I started I think there were opinions about earlier discussions that there had been men who started to analyze women´s psych, also I got very strong reactions even I think my starting was really neutral. Also I don´t think Marissa has been the only one who has got really big emotions with this issue. Yes, today`s world talent is the thing that don´t automatically get yourself attention, no matter are you man or woman. But that doesn´t mean this world is equal even in the western countries and women automatically can do as much as men. It´s really hard to believe me prog music is isolated area from the other world and anyone, who listens prog is not chauvinist pig. But I had anyway no need to continue this anymore, you seem to live so wonderous world that I leave you there.

About my English, yes it´s not my mothers tongue. Really try to learn it more all the time.
[/QUOTE]

If you aren't prepared to speak in a logical manner then yes you made a mistake LOL
The problem is that this thread started as why aren't there more women in prog 
And it has turned into women don't get equal pay in general?
The world never has been and probably never will be fair or just
Men are physically more agressive and are attracted to more bombastic arts
Women have made the mistake of trying to compete with men instead of developing their own talents and characteristics
If men are not awarding women equal pay then WHY (i keep asking) why don't women create an alternative paradigm to the male dominated society? As 50% of consumers, why don't more women support women musicians? With half of the population on the same side, things SHOULD even out
But we know that doesn't happen otherwise the sexually assaulting prez of the US never would have been elected. 
All i'm saying is that we can talk about this all you want but you're preaching to the choir on this site. The men who control the world not only control women, they control all life on the planet. I wish i had a magic wand to make everything better but this is what we're stuck with and of course i symphathize for all effected
[/QUOTE]You can call me naive, but I have always believed and still believe this world will become someday much more fear place than it´s today, although it has been harder to believe older I get. Also, I have lived my life in the way I have always been on the side of the weak and doing little things according my life philosophy. Too many people just think they can´t do anything and that´s the reason why everythings´s stay the same. But as we have earlier discussed, this world has gone better direction in many ways (although there has been bad direction in some years now). I agree you that women also keep up the old structures, but I don´t think that gives me right to be "better" as a man. I don´t think nobody should have a magic wand, I think those little things I do is enough.

If I am preaching, sorry about that. I am not saying somebody´s wrong and somebody´s not, these are just my opinions. What I saw in this discussion, is that there was one with her opinion and quite many against her with different opinion. I have been in the situation in internet where I tried to myself explain my opinions when everybody else just attack towards me. it´s not great place to be. And if I am not a part of this community anymore because of this discussion, then I am not. I can live without this place.

My thoughts tend to fly, but I don´t think the real issue here has ever been just "Why there are so little females in prog". If it had been, I don´t this would have become to discussion every year and this lot of emotions with it. And I think you also have admitted the aswer isn´t "Women don´t like prog".
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 03:29
Noticed I wrote fear instead of fair. Not really want this planet to become a fear place where it seems to now going on...
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 05:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Yes, and an old friend of mine wants to know if Cindy has a sister.

Too late now....  It seems that people called for "Mr. and Ms. Bojangles' as a much better song name...... 
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 09:13
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Noticed I wrote fear instead of fair. Not really want this planet to become a fear place where it seems to now going on...

Hey, no worries! You are quite welcome to express your opinions here. I'm just not a complainer but rather a solution seeker. So i guess i want everyone else to be that way too LOL

You would be correct that i have not experienced that kind of situation because i do indeed have an y chromosome so i should be a little more sympathetic to what you have to say. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 10:27
Well this turned out to be quite the innovative promotion thread. We (almost) did the work ourselves. I won't be checking out her music though. Not because of her gender but because I find this sort of thing utterly tasteless.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 10:47
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Well this turned out to be quite the innovative promotion thread. We (almost) did the work ourselves. I won't be checking out her music though. Not because of her gender but because I find this sort of thing utterly tasteless.

Plus despite requests, she never posted any of her own music. I mean, maybe her problem is that she's totally clueless as how to self-promote more than her gender. I'm not interested in her music either but this thread has made me want to hear Kate Bush, Renaissance and other goddesses worthy of my attention Wink

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 11:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yep, this really isn't rocket science, is it David? I was the first to invite her to post her efforts, and, had she done so, we could all have had a decent conversation about the merits of her music. As it stands, I couldn't give a toss, really, and we have had yet another tedious discussion about, in effect, feminism in prog, which holds absolutely no interest to me whatsoever.

You are right. Utterly tasteless, and a really good example of how to piss people off in the name of self promotion.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 11:23
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Hey, no worries! You are quite welcome to express your opinions here. I'm just not a complainer but rather a solution seeker. So i guess i want everyone else to be that way too LOL

You would be correct that i have not experienced that kind of situation because i do indeed have an y chromosome so i should be a little more sympathetic to what you have to say. 

I am really sorry. I really believed all the time you´re a man Dead. Well, this thread now gives me much more sense. Well, I think too I won´t become Marissa-fan when saw that clip that was here. But it´s of course possible she can do something great sometime in the future. And yes, she really got much promotion from this thread. I think somebody´s said there is no meaning is it good or bad.

Anyway, happy new year!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 11:29
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Boom. Spot on. Men still have to approach the woman, ask her out, pay for everything especially the first date and early on, make the first move and sexual advances and on top of all that risk being accused of date rape, sexual assault, etc etc. This is why more and more men are choosing to just bow out altogether. Gender equality should mean equality in all aspects and not just the ones that are convenient for you.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 11:32
Just a fanboy passin' through.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 12:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Poor girl

Blimey......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 12:52
This is one of the most entertaining threads i've seen on this site in a loooooong time

ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=┌(; ̄◇ ̄)┘

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 13:25
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Poor girl

Not sure which is sadder. The troll, or that entire sub-forum dedicated to discussing trolls. Suddenly makes the listening to and discussion of prog a productive use of time.

Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 17:37
Hey Mortte, I know where you are getting at, but don't think the reality is that dark as you're painting.... I suggest you don't generalise what you've experienced, particularly on niches like this.
You know ... women truly have been inventing and singing melodies since the very beginnings of history, and it's fact for many artists that their mothers were their first unofficial art teachers... 

BTW, we know that babies bond with their mothers at birth for several reasons, among them the fact that, in utero, they learn to recognise the sound of their mothers' voices. Imagine what might be achieved were expectant mothers trained in the singing of a small repertoire of lullabies ;)
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 20:01
What!  How can she be so cruel/heartless/deluded to spew hate on Rachel Flowers?  I have seen that virgorouge id before.  Don't remember the exact vid but it was a subtle put down of Annie Haslam, so it's fair to say there's a pattern here - she hates talented female artists much more than men. LOL

I am normally never ever for bans but I would love to see this thread along with her id thrown right out of the window and into the garbage bin which is its rightful place.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>