Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 00:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

You can’t even agree on the definition of “prog”, which makes it difficult to answer the question. Music is not black and white where every single album can be deemed either prog or not. It’s all a mix of inspirations and talent.

I’m also amused at the topic title, asking for “real prog”. Certainly prog police work.

exactly 5.75% of the music on this site is real prog rock. After that you have the fake prog represented by 80's King Crimson and Peter Gabriel entire solo career plus the AOR crap that no one cares about and the weird stuff that strange human like persons think is important.

<runs and hides>

who said that AOR is real prog? Confused

what's a "strange human like person"? Confused
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 00:27

You can’t even agree on the definition of “prog”, which makes it difficult to answer the question. Music is not black and white where every single album can be deemed either prog or not. It’s all a mix of inspirations and talent.

I’m also amused at the topic title, asking for “real prog”. Certainly prog police work.

exactly 5.75% of the music on this site is real prog rock. After that you have the fake prog represented by 80's King Crimson and Peter Gabriel entire solo career plus the AOR crap that no one cares about and the weird stuff that strange human like persons think is important.

<runs and hides>
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 13:26
Originally posted by progROCKS123 progROCKS123 wrote:

even in the 1980s rush was still a prog band Smile

I agree but maybe not Presto. Anything in the 80s before it though. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 13:23
I actually don't disagree with the 2112 to MP opinion (although is side two of 2112 really prog?) but my personal (subjective) defintion of prog stretches a bit beyond MP.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 13:09
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

TBH I dislike it (to put tit gently) when anyone puts words like "real" or 'true" in front of genres, i.e. "true metal" and 'true prog" and so on. Maybe I'm not getting something here... oh well... LOL

Death to False Prog!!  Evil Smile

All Men Play On 9/8   LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 13:06

Silly me, I've just noticed the "real prog rock" in the title. As opposed to  false or fake prog rock everywhere, right? 
TBH I dislike it (to put tit gently) when anyone puts words like "real" or 'true" in front of genres, i.e. "true metal" and 'true prog" and so on. Maybe I'm not getting something here... oh well... LOL

Edited by Cristi - January 31 2024 at 09:22
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 12:58

I second everything you wrote.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 00:41
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

<font size="3" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">"What is Prog?"

LOL
is prog what? Big smile

Either way it’s?
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 16:55
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Rush and Fly by Night aren't prog, not in the slightest. But they don't have to be.

By-Tor and the Snow Dog isn't prog?

I miss Queen ByTor and SnowDog....... Cry
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 15:25

"What is Prog?"

LOL
is prog what? Big smile
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 15:24

It's like we're back in 2008 PA again LOL
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 15:10
"What is Prog?"
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 15:04

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 15:00
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Rush and Fly by Night aren't prog, not in the slightest. But they don't have to be.

About as prog as Triumph's "Blinding Light Show/Moonchild" (8:43) and "The City" (9:20).

That makes those songs a little bit prog, at least to me.

I love both bands, though they each have at least one album I can't listen to all the way through. Too bad Trumph's flame went out so early.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 14:56
The correct answer, if you aren't the Prog Police, are the ones you choose.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 14:37

About as prog as Triumph's "Blinding Light Show/Moonchild" (8:43) and "The City" (9:20).

That makes those songs a little bit prog, at least to me. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 14:32

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 13:10
None are prog, nevertheless lot are top !
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 12:30

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 11:50
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

...           Why are most of their albums progressive? Because after Neil Peart joined, they were a band that never shied away from complexity and intricacy in their music. 
Hi,

It's much easier to do, when you have a drummer that can do a heck of a lot more than just keeping time ... they work on making sure they can augment the moments in the music, and that can not be done when the high schoolish drummer can only do the same beat and timing. That's about 50% of all the "progressive" bands, btw, when everything is "progressive" and the drumming is elementary, and sophomoric!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>