Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progROCKS123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2022 at 21:07
even in the 1980s rush was still a prog band Smile
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 18:05
One of my favorite bands, but I have always thought of them as more proggy than hard-core prog.
Fly by Night through Moving Pictures feature their proggy material. I have a soft spot for Prince By-Tor because a snow dog is my constant companion. I feel they lost direction, which made their catalog really spotty after Moving Pictures. Some of the later concert videos are great, though.
SambaTisst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SambaTisst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 00:23
2112 (at least side A), a farewell to kings and hemispheres, great trilogy!
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 00:39
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Also, Geddy Lee's voice can really be irritating.  What is it that I am missing?  I see no beauty in their music, unlike Yes, King Crimson, Genesis etc.  

Who says music always has to be "beautiful"? Wink
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 00:57
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Also, Geddy Lee's voice can really be irritating.  What is it that I am missing?  I see no beauty in their music, unlike Yes, King Crimson, Genesis etc.  

I don't think of "beauty" when I think of King crimson. They have more experimental, quirky songs than they have beautiful songs. 

I also don't think of "beauty" about the Rush sound either. LOL

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 01:10
'beauty' is an interesting concept when talking about music. Rush were a hard rock band who soaked up a lot of prog influences. Geddy's voice certainly was a tad annoying in the seventies and that's one reason I think their most elegant and beautiful tracks came in the 80's - Analog Kid and Subdivisions especially. In the seventies it was more about how fast could Peart play and how screechy Geddy could get but you still had some sublime prog moments, Xanadu springs to mind as well as La Villa Strangiato. Always worth noting that Rush became massively popular during a period when prog had all but been but wiped off the map. They were the only show in town for most of us!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 09:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

'beauty' is an interesting concept when talking about music. Rush were a hard rock band who soaked up a lot of prog influences.

Hi,

And not just prog influences I would imagine.

I don't want to sit here and decide if band A or B or R ... belong to "Prog Rock or not. I really find it somewhat insulting, since most "artists" do their work for how they feel, not because it is this or that ... and the compositions came alive. I doubt, and I'm not sure that Geddy Lee would sit here and say "we're progressive rock" ... and then make us wonder what all this fuss is about. 

One of the grand ones, Mr. Robert Fripp has stated many times that he is not "progressive" and neither is his band ... and where is he and the band classified? In too many ways, he is about the composition and the expression of that composition broken down and rehearsed to a superlative point where it is way beyond the level of most cheap rock music that can only work off a riff and not develop the music from it, beyond the refrains that the audience recognizes and "remembers" about that song! And you and I know that KC has never been about that! And guess what ... we can remember many moments and I even cry when hearing "Starless and Bible Black" ... just some moments beyond time ... that makes the word and meaning totally worthless and wasteful.

This is the best I can say about all this ... it's tough ... I feel bad for a band like RUSH that did so much fine work for so long, and some folks still have to "question" it's place within the musical halls of heaven. Gosh knows they deserve it and then some!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 15:09
Caress of Steel up to and including Hold Your Fire. On Fly by night only by tor and the snowdog is prog. On stuff after HYF only leave that thing alone and where's my thing and maybe monkey business and one or two other instrumentals. All my opinion of course. 

I changed my mind about this because you can't call Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, ATTWT and Duke prog or 80s Yes and not the 80s Rush. If songs don't have to be complicated and have time signatures then there's no reason why that stuff can't be prog (and Pink Floyd too ;) ).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 14 2022 at 15:14
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 16:25
....you all are hosers...

Poster « Bob et Doug McKenzie - Beauté Eh! Comédie rétro populaire  canadienne », par djbjorn | Redbubble
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 17:41
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

I feel they lost direction, which made their catalog really spotty after Moving Pictures. Some of the later concert videos are great, though.

Being a Rush fan for just over 40 years and reading and listening to countless interviews, they hardly lost direction. They've always been very clear that they made exactly the kind of music they wanted to make. It wasn't always a success but they did it their way. 

Usually, the people who don't like their 80s stuff are the ones who make claims about them losing direction or some such excuse. Just like Yes and King Crimson and Genesis changed with the 80s, so did Rush. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 18:47
The Rush debut album was a hard rock one. Then, after Neil Peart joined, their next two records, Fly By Night and Caress Of Steel are what I would call "borderline progressive" -leaning towards prog, but not full blown yet.  Then came 2112, which was the real mccoy! 
              I consider all their later material to be progressive rock, even though I don't personally like any of their albums after Moving Pictures, but not because they weren't prog rock, but the later "style" of their music never appealed to me.
           Why are most of their albums progressive? Because after Neil Peart joined, they were a band that never shied away from complexity and intricasy in their music. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 23:43
Rush and Fly by Night aren't prog, not in the slightest. But they don't have to be.

Grace Under Pressure is my favorite Rush album. I don't care what it is. It's just awesome. Thumbs Up
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 07:19
Never thought of Rush as a prog band.
Love their first three heavy rock albums, in the same way and to the same extent that I love Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash and Deep Purple.
Then 2112 and Hemispheres.

Nothing else.

I grew up in Ireland and London in the 60s and 70s, so my prog was there on the radio from day one and it didn't include Rush.

Edited by LAM-SGC - November 15 2022 at 07:21
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 11:50
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

...           Why are most of their albums progressive? Because after Neil Peart joined, they were a band that never shied away from complexity and intricacy in their music. 
Hi,

It's much easier to do, when you have a drummer that can do a heck of a lot more than just keeping time ... they work on making sure they can augment the moments in the music, and that can not be done when the high schoolish drummer can only do the same beat and timing. That's about 50% of all the "progressive" bands, btw, when everything is "progressive" and the drumming is elementary, and sophomoric!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 12:30
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Rush and Fly by Night aren't prog, not in the slightest. But they don't have to be.

By-Tor and the Snow Dog isn't prog?
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 13:10
None are prog, nevertheless lot are top !
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 14:32
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

About as prog as Triumph's "Blinding Light Show/Moonchild" (8:43) and "The City" (9:20).
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 14:37

About as prog as Triumph's "Blinding Light Show/Moonchild" (8:43) and "The City" (9:20).

That makes those songs a little bit prog, at least to me. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 14:56
The correct answer, if you aren't the Prog Police, are the ones you choose.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 15:00
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

That makes those songs a little bit prog, at least to me.

I love both bands, though they each have at least one album I can't listen to all the way through. Too bad Trumph's flame went out so early.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>