Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porcupine Tree

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree
    Posted: July 25 2019 at 09:29
I am a open-minded rocker and I want to listen to some modern prog rock. I am interested what song/album is perfect introduction for this band which seems cool to me.

Sorry for my English. I am not native speaker
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 09:34
I was just listening to Lightbulb Sun the other day and thinking it's the perfect introduction to the band.
Arnulf Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 09:37
Thanks you
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 09:38
I haven't heard much of their earlier stuff, but Deadwing is probably my favourite of theirs.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 09:43
In Absentia is my favorite PT album and I think one of there most accessible if you are new to them . Deadwing is also very good. 

Edited by Argo2112 - July 25 2019 at 09:43
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 09:50
Other than Porcupine Tree I suggest starting with the album that is your avatar. ;)

For Porcupine Tree I like lightbulb sun and inabsentia the best. Stupid Dream is great too. The later ones are more metallish but still good.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 09:51
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I was just listening to Lightbulb Sun the other day and thinking it's the perfect introduction to the band.

That's my personal favorite. Good call.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 11:14
I chose "Fear of a Blank Planet" as my initial exposure to the group. It's a great album with "Anesthetize" as a great track.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 13:09
"in Absentia" and "Deadwing" are probably their best.  I'm a big fan of Porcupine Tree and those two were the albums that got me started on them.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 20:28
The one with which I started is a live album from their earlier period, Coma Divine, just when the band was forming after Steven Wilson had released a few album under the name of the band, but himself performing just about all the instruments. So it's got many early songs originally performed only by him in studio, but now with a whole band. Then I got most of the other PT albums, specially the ones with Gavin Harrison on drums, but still my very favourite is this live album. However, it has a rather different vibe, this album is very ambient and spacey, while the more succesful ones with Gavin Harrison are heavier and poppier.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 20:32
Signify is my favorite album by them. If you're more into classic prog, you should start out with The Sky Moves Sideways
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 23:57
Just to be awkward I prefer Up The Downstairs over The Sky Moves Sideways.

In Absentia
Signify
Deadwing
Fear Of A Blank Planet

can't go wrong with any of those

In Absentia has lots of great hooks so perhaps start with that and move onto the others.

The only album that seems to be an issue is The Incident but actually there are still some great tracks on that album so it should not be avoided. Porcupine Tree have one of the best back catologues of any band in history.

Then move onto Wilson's first 4 solo albums that are even better!

Arnulf Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 00:51
Thanks you to all for advice

I decide to begin with In Absentia
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 01:07
Stupid Dream

A gem.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 01:36
If you like Pink Floyd and Ozric Tentacles: The Sky Moves Sideways.

Alternative rock mixed with "modern" progressive rock: Stupid Dream.

And progressive rock/metal: In Absentia.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 04:13
"in Absentia"
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 04:55
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Awesome album. 
I think the live album Coma Divine is a great introduction to the band. 

Edited by Jeffro - July 26 2019 at 04:56
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 05:02
Signify
In Absentia
Deadwing
Fear of a Blank Planet

These are the only PT albums I really enjoy. Stupid ream & Lightbulb Sun are ok, but are just rehearsals for In Absentia, Deadwing & FOABP which are all much better and more consistent IMO.

Signify is different from the other three, and is a more of a bridge album between the older, more 'trippy' PT, and their later heavier manifestation, but as a stand alone album I love it. It has a quite a unique atmosphere about it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 13:07
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Awesome album. 
I think the live album Coma Divine is a great introduction to the band. 

I agree..it's a nice collection.

My personal favorites are Signify, Stupid Dream, Lightbulb , and Absentia...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2019 at 00:36
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Signify
In Absentia
Deadwing
Fear of a Blank Planet

These are the only PT albums I really enjoy. Stupid ream & Lightbulb Sun are ok, but are just rehearsals for In Absentia, Deadwing & FOABP which are all much better and more consistent IMO.

Signify is different from the other three, and is a more of a bridge album between the older, more 'trippy' PT, and their later heavier manifestation, but as a stand alone album I love it. It has a quite a unique atmosphere about it.

yep very good summation of Signify.

Others posters have also mentioned Stupid Dream. That nearly put me off the band completely but it does have some really good stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply