Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I cannot stand Gentle Giant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I cannot stand Gentle Giant
    Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:01
Nvm i love gentle giant now pretend this post never existed

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 17 2019 at 12:50
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:11
They're certainly an acquired taste (as the title of the second album suggests). It took me a lot more than a couple of listens to get into their music. Have you tried the first two albums? They are more accessible and at least for me were easier on the ears at first.

Edited by Meltdowner - July 29 2019 at 09:21
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:17
It's ok, it's not compulsory.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:27
I like Power and the Glory but have struggled to get into more GG
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:30
You might try listening to some of their earlier albums: Acquiring the Taste, Octopus, and Three Friends.  They are a lot mellower, melodic, and harmonic. I find their later albums (after In a Glass House) to be a little harsh and abrasive at times, and if that's all I heard of them, I would not be a fan either. Focus on the earlier years and see if that flicks your switch...
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:30
Doug, you like what you like. Giant and Tull are two of my faves and you don't like either band. No big deal. On the flip side you think Wobbler's last release is the best thing in the prog world. I would say not even close. Anyway, at least you are listening to music outside of the traditional spoon fed crap that most people listen to, so I congratulate you.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:35
Get out!

And don't expect a severance package.

All kidding aside, I don't like a few of the "popular" artists frequently discussed. Only one Pink Floyd album is tolerable to me at this point. I am usually a staunch defender of a lot of modern prog, but the stuff that gets ballyhooed around here like Porcupine Tree, Spocks Beard, Riverside, The Tangent for example, do absolutely nothing for me.  
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:37
have never been able to get into GG for many of the reasons you site.  Power and the Glory is the one that resonates most with me though, specifically Proclamation and one or two of the other tracks
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:44
I get it , I'm kind of the same way with VDGG. I'm tried a few times but I just can't seem to get in to them. In the end we like what we like . 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:46
As already said, we like what we like. No shame.

I've struggled to get much from GG as well. I certainly appreciate them, their adventurous spirit and their instrumental prowess. They are excellent musicians. But, these days, I don't play them much and Octopus is probably my "favorite."

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:52
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Doug, you like what you like. Giant and Tull are two of my faves and you don't like either band. No big deal. On the flip side you think Wobbler's last release is the best thing in the prog world. I would say not even close. Anyway, at least you are listening to music outside of the traditional spoon fed crap that most people listen to, so I congratulate you.

I do like Tull, stand up, taab, aqualung and songs from the wood specifically, but I don’t think they’re up there with some other favorites. I do appreciate this comment though, we are all in this together, listening to music that sounds like crap to most people.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:54
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

As already said, we like what we like. No shame.

I've struggled to get much from GG as well. I certainly appreciate them, their adventurous spirit and their instrumental prowess. They are excellent musicians. But, these days, I don't play them much and Octopus is probably my "favorite."

Couldn’t get into that one, in a glass house is the only one I’ve somewhat enjoyed but still, it’s just not for me.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 10:13
Also, I don't know how old you are, but the development of our tastes is not a static thing, especially among fans of the expansive paradigm of what is considered prog. There are these different channels and gateways that form the equation of how you arrived at your current tastes and will continue to shape and evolve them in the future. When you can't get into something just put it away. At some point you might hear it in a different context and it will click. I was disappointed the first time I heard Magma. They didn't click with me until about 8 years after my first listen. I think I came in with different expectations. Once they clicked, they became a nearly religious experience.     
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 10:31
It's all kind of like your palate for food.  If you don't like it when you're six, try it again at 16 and it might surprise you and then 60, if you're lucky enough to get that far.  Or not.  I like Tapfret's and Grumpyprogfan's posts here...I have to say the same, some that my ear doesn't care for now may be much more listenable in the future, I'll give it another try, especially if people keep recommending it whose other recommendations I've enjoyed (get to know your reviewers), when introduced by them.  I think it's commendable to at least try!

Edited by Snicolette - July 29 2019 at 10:31
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 10:45
Yep, 20 years ago I would never thought I would enjoy Argentine tango. But because I loved Bondage Fruit I started picking up other projects with guitarist Kido Natsuki until I found Salle Gaveau. Now I freaking love Astor Piazzolla.  
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 10:45
It's all about taste. Typically if you like one band in a certain subgenre you will like others.Then again there are people who like Genesis but not Yes and vice versa. If someone does not like GG I would advise them to steer away from bands who are just as unconventional(ie RIO/avant)if not more so. You might come around to it at some point; then again you may not.
Arnulf Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 11:08
Clearly is taste here. I tried to listen to GG 2 years and I am disturbed by a song because I considers too harsh for my ears which love more ”poppier„ side of rock music maybe if I give a listening today I will like it
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 15:35
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I hated van der graaf on first listen but now that’s a favorite
Hah, same. Also couldn't get into VDGG and GG, but now VDGG is one of my all-time fave bands.

I listened again to GG discography this winter, in another attempt of "getting" them, and that was my most successful one - loved quite a lot of songs actually! I'd suggest you focus on the debut LP (my fave one), their most "conventional" prog record, and also try later-days LPs which are not fully prog... but that's where they become enjoyable for me Check this track out, for example, my mom LOVES it:

Also later-day GG freakin ROCKS! And yes, check these live versions especially:

Enjoy!
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 15:39
I really like GG but I still can't really get into most of VdGG, or Tull for that matter.
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 16:19
Gentle Giant is a odd duck, dare I say a musician's band?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>