Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jethro Tull vs. King Crimson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [35.06%]
50 [64.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 14:49
KC......over Tull....though I am a Tull fan.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 17:28
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

King Crimson.  Nobody beats KC for being influential to all music.  Even though I'm also a big fan of JT, Crimson is my all-time most favorite band.

With all due respect, mostly all the big Prog bands "beat" King Crimson in influence and music even the lesser known bands do. 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 17:32
Jethro Tull for me. I like all of the Jethro Tull albums I've heard so far, but I only like the first album by King Crimson.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 09 2019 at 17:33
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 02:05
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Do you have all their anniversary remixes? I only got Songs from the Wood, but I'm interested in getting others, if they're worth. Especially curious about MITG, APP and TAAB live material...
Is Stormwatch 2019 that great release?

Yeah got all of them. I’ll describe Some for now

Stormwatch is a strong double album. Remix has made me a new fan of broadford, ghosts and sporran which I didn’t take enough notice of before. Loving them. Sporran is longer now too. Always loved North Sea, Ringill, Stitch and a few others but they all sound even better now. Somethings on the move sounds awesome now with its vocal effects. Orion has become a 9 minute epic which contains Martins best moment of his career imo. Love the intro. There’s a busy prog gem called urban apocalypse which reminds me of Gentle Giant in bits. Love early version of Dark Ages too. Every song sounds better. 5 star release for sure.

Horses and Songs are the best sounding remixes. Wilson did a great job. Some strong new tracks in Old aces, Living in hard times 1 and 2 and others. A good 30 extra minutes of unrepeated Tull on horses. 4.5 stars for both

Aqualung has a double album worth of of goodies with a great remixed sound. Add some fine quad and an early version of 2-3 songs also. 4.5 star

Thick is still 4.5 star. Not much more to say

Passion sounds better than ever. Some new sounds and a strong extra minute. Chateau tapes sound a lot better. Left right and Audition are very much classic Tull. A good 30 extra minutes of unrepeated Tull in there. 4.5 star

Warchild was meant to be 3 albums. Poppy soundtrack for the critics, an orchestral score and a Tull album of short proggy tunes. We have all 3. This is probably the most rewarding remix. Plenty of cool extras which make up for 3-4 too many pop songs on the original album. 4.5 stars

I’ll do the other albums later lol

Great writeup! Got me thinking now, esp that xmas is behind the corner. Any chances of getting new copies / rereleases, or you think it was just a one time project?
Also, which live video material did you like the most

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 05:11

Do you have all their anniversary remixes? I only got Songs from the Wood, but I'm interested in getting others, if they're worth. Especially curious about MITG, APP and TAAB live material...
Is Stormwatch 2019 that great release?

Yeah got all of them. I’ll describe Some for now

Stormwatch is a strong double album. Remix has made me a new fan of broadford, ghosts and sporran which I didn’t take enough notice of before. Loving them. Sporran is longer now too. Always loved North Sea, Ringill, Stitch and a few others but they all sound even better now. Somethings on the move sounds awesome now with its vocal effects. Orion has become a 9 minute epic which contains Martins best moment of his career imo. Love the intro. There’s a busy prog gem called urban apocalypse which reminds me of Gentle Giant in bits. Love early version of Dark Ages too. Every song sounds better. 5 star release for sure.

Horses and Songs are the best sounding remixes. Wilson did a great job. Some strong new tracks in Old aces, Living in hard times 1 and 2 and others. A good 30 extra minutes of unrepeated Tull on horses. 4.5 stars for both

Aqualung has a double album worth of of goodies with a great remixed sound. Add some fine quad and an early version of 2-3 songs also. 4.5 star

Thick is still 4.5 star. Not much more to say

Passion sounds better than ever. Some new sounds and a strong extra minute. Chateau tapes sound a lot better. Left right and Audition are very much classic Tull. A good 30 extra minutes of unrepeated Tull in there. 4.5 star

Warchild was meant to be 3 albums. Poppy soundtrack for the critics, an orchestral score and a Tull album of short proggy tunes. We have all 3. This is probably the most rewarding remix. Plenty of cool extras which make up for 3-4 too many pop songs on the original album. 4.5 stars

I’ll do the other albums later lol

Great writeup! Got me thinking now, esp that xmas is behind the corner. Any chances of getting new copies / rereleases, or you think it was just a one time project?
Also, which live video material did you like the most

I think all the 40th stuff is basically sold out. The first 12 albums have been done. Benefit only came out in a small pack though. They started with Benefit 40th, then Aqualung big box the next year. Thick was the first to come out in book format and they continued that format since with the 72-79 albums while doing 50th book formats of 68-69 albums and a 45th book format of Aqualung. So I think benefits will have to get a 50th in that format and I feel they’ll continue the 50th releases as they were pretty popular the first time around. A and Broadsword should get 40th books too. The live stuff is fairly good. The Stormwatch live stuff is up there with bursting out and Carnegie hall
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 06:14
King Crimson, hands down.
Apart from Thick as a Brick, I'm not a Tull fan.

Timeaisis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timeaisis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2019 at 13:41
Jethro Tull, no contest. The only KC albums I really love are Court and Red. JT, by comparison, had like a great album every year from Stand Up through Heavy Horses. Something about JT's music you really can't get anywhere else...

One day I will give Stormwatch another try...
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2019 at 00:57
Originally posted by Timeaisis Timeaisis wrote:

Jethro Tull, no contest. The only KC albums I really love are Court and Red. JT, by comparison, had like a great album every year from Stand Up through Heavy Horses. Something about JT's music you really can't get anywhere else...

One day I will give Stormwatch another try...

Kind of weird Tull are losing. They have quality remix sets in 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 77, 78 and 79 at the very least. Tonnes of great non album tracks. Crimson didn’t even exist between 75 and 79 lol. I’d still pick Tull over crimson in the 69-74 era but I rate them just as good in the 77-82 era. I’d say they have twice as many quality tunes than crimson. As for Stormwatch, the remix is basically a classic double album. Heaps of quality tunes. Go get the remix sets. It’s Tulls best year. The remix sets are bloody excellent. The existing stuff sounds even better and the tonnes of extras are awesome. Tull actually have 25 albums worth of unrepeated studio songs from 1968-84. That’s an extra 10 albums worth of songs in addition to the first 15 albums. Of my fave 100 Tull songs I’d say half would be non album tracks. Evenly spread over the top 100

Edited by dr prog - December 17 2019 at 01:22
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2019 at 11:03
Crimso', everyone!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2019 at 11:04
I like both bands about equally(and so refuse to pick one over the other) so no vote. However, I will say this:

As an over all band I prefer Jethro Tull. As a purely prog rock band I pick King Crimson. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 17 2019 at 11:05
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 23:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

As an over all band I prefer Jethro Tull. As a purely prog rock band I pick King Crimson. 

This
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 23:26

Kind of weird Tull are losing. .......

Not really...PA is a Prog site. With KC, every album is prog; with Tull many albums are prog but many albums are not. So that is why KC poll more on this site; because they have been consistently prog from their inception.

Edited by BarryGlibb - December 18 2019 at 23:27
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 14:03
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Kind of weird Tull are losing. .......

Not really...PA is a Prog site. With KC, every album is prog; with Tull many albums are prog but many albums are not. So that is why KC poll more on this site; because they have been consistently prog from their inception.

I consider most 70s Tull prog based. They had some pop tunes in the mid 70s but 70-73 and 77-80 were mainly releases of prog based heavy folk rock. They would have released more prog in the mid 70s but went for a different approach with those albums. But there’s plenty of extra tracks from that mid 70s era that are prog based. We now have a great mix from the remixes. Basically 17 albums worth in the 70s. A dozen worth of prog based stuff, 3 worth of pop and 2 worth of sub par tracks
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 00:02
I'm too lazy to cherry pick this and that. Everything Crimson has done is worth taking seriously and they didn't do a Christmas album although can you imagine what it would have been if they had. Just think of Fripp wearing a fluffy Santa hat... so him. LOL
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 23:21
Really love Jethro but it´s again KC.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 03:54
Crimson. There is something special about a King Crimson record.

Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 14:24
Crimson - really not a contest. Tull are ok, but Crimson.......
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 14:45
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'm too lazy to cherry pick this and that. Everything Crimson has done is worth taking seriously and they didn't do a Christmas album although can you imagine what it would have been if they had. Just think of Fripp wearing a fluffy Santa hat... so him. LOL

Would have been an album full of this, no doubt: LOL
vinylprogger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinylprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 08:59
Jethro Tull.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 09:05
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

King Crimson.  Nobody beats KC for being influential to all music.  Even though I'm also a big fan of JT, Crimson is my all-time most favorite band.

With all due respect, mostly all the big Prog bands "beat" King Crimson in influence and music even the lesser known bands do. 

With all due respect, that's the ultimate in revisionism.  Genesis leaned heavily on ITCOTCK to make Trespass and you're claiming KC is the least influential of the big prog rock bands?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>