Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis Reunion 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 18:35
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

I think I'd rather see Steve Hackett performing Seconds Out.

This . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 19:04
I do enjoy Blundell, seen him 2x with SWilson......although I will go to Genesis as I am sure not everything will be the trio era. But I'm in the minority, I think ALL Genesis is brilliant music.
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 08:02
I actually enjoy Nad's renditions of early Genesis when he tours with Hackett.  I don't find his 'Swedish-ness' to interfere at all with his interpretations of Gabriel.   (I will, however, acknowledge that Nad does not quite nail the early Phil-era vocals as well as he nails the Gabriel vox.)

That said, bear in mind that Nad primarily only sings the Genesis stuff at Hackett's shows.  Hackett mostly sings his solo material live -- many times Nad is not even onstage when the band is performing Hackett solo tunes.  His touring band is absolutely fantastic.  In addition to the regulars, Hackett also moves people in & out of his touring band based on availability but the quality of musicians is never compromised.  As an example, a couple tours ago, Roine Stolt was his touring bassist....got to see 'Supper's Ready' in its entirety for the first time on that tour. 

Fact is, I'd still go see Hackett at every opportunity even if he weren't doing any Genesis tunes at all.  The quality of his solo work has only gotten better over the years, IMHO. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 10:08
I attended a couple of (Hackett) Genesis Revisited concerts, own some live recordings too and I can positively say that Nad Sylvan is doing a tremedous job singing those early Genesis songs. To dislike his voice is one thing but saying that he is not a good fit and that he don't sound English enough for this material is nothing less than xenophobic garbage.

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I would really like to see Hackett do his stuff live, but I don’t. The reason? Simply because I really do not like Nad Sylvan’s vocals. Genesis were a quintessential English band, and listening to Sylvan in his Swedish voice simply grates with me, I am afraid.

Unashamed bigotry indeed.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 13:51
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I attended a couple of (Hackett) Genesis Revisited concerts, own some live recordings too and I can positively say that Nad Sylvan is doing a tremedous job singing those early Genesis songs. To dislike his voice is one thing but saying that he is not a good fit and that he don't sound English enough for this material is nothing less than xenophobic garbage. ClapWinkLOL

I would really like to see Hackett do his stuff live, but I don’t. The reason? Simply because I really do not like Nad Sylvan’s vocals. Genesis were a quintessential English band, and listening to Sylvan in his Swedish voice simply grates with me, I am afraid.

Horses for courses I guess; I don't personally have a problem with his voice.. does the guy from 'the Watch' sound too Italian or the guy from 'The Musical Box' sound too Canadian??

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 14:00
This is what I put on the other (less populated) thread on this subject

''I think i'd rather see Steve Hackett again. Or see 'The Musical Box'. Or stay at home and just play the lps. But there is a little bit of me that looked at the dates... Hmm, Birmingham is on a Saturday! We could do that! Will I regret it if I don't get a ticket?? But then I go 'No, I think im happy with memories and the albums.''

I last saw Genesis in 1982 on the ABACAB tour and whilst I enjoyed it, Phil Collins constant references to 'this is the last time we're playing this old sh*t' whenever they played a PG era track really put me off seeing them again.. particularly in light of the slightly fawning re-evaluation of 'the old sh*t' by the band later on when they realized that the constant trickle of royalties from those lps constituted a good part of their income as they got older.. and it has been Steve Hackett who has consistently flown the flag in regards playing that material live and doing it justice.. and of course 'The Musical Box' who have done their absolute best to re-create that music in its era.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 15:55

I attended a couple of (Hackett) Genesis Revisited concerts, own some live recordings too and I can positively say that Nad Sylvan is doing a tremedous job singing those early Genesis songs. To dislike his voice is one thing but saying that he is not a good fit and that he don't sound English enough for this material is nothing less than xenophobic garbage.

Don’t be a prat. There is no reason whatsoever to accuse me of xenophobia for that post. You may apologise. If you do not, I will take it further.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 16:13

Don’t be a prat. There is no reason whatsoever to accuse me of xenophobia for that post. You may apologise. If you do not, I will take it further.

No way, man, you're the one who should apologise. Don't act like an offended virgin, this is exactly what you meant...now you can call your lawyer, I'm waiting fo you.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 17:04
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I will almost certainly be giving this a miss.

Even if I was in the UK, this would be my position. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 17:56
I'll probably pass also. I saw them in 2007 and while I enjoyed it I can't imagine them having a setlist for the upcoming tour that would be much different.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 05 2020 at 17:57
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 00:44
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I’d love to see this...but am certainly not crossing an ocean to go.
Personally I’m fairly positive about Collins Jr. on drums. Anybody who has heard him on the Sound Of Contact debut will know that the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree. He genuinely sounds like his father in that tight n sloppy way that one usually has to trawl through old 60s and 70s albums to hear. I imagine he will fit in Genesis perfectly.
I hope daddy-o gets his mojo back. The recent pictures I’ve seen of him do not look good...sorta like Captain Picard’s long lost brother..with a massive hangover.

It was Simon Collins played on Sound Of Contact. As a kid he also used to play a tiny drum set along off stage at Genesis gigs. Cute!

I presume Nic Collins is a different son?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 00:49
I got my ticket yesterday using the priority order line. Very expensive though at £120 + £17 rip off extra 'service charges'. But at least we are facing the stage ( I cannot abide sitting on the side and having to twist my neck) and it's at my favourite venue on a Saturday night . Booked a hotel stay over with my best mate and well looking forward to it. Yeah I know they will play mostly post ATTTW material but they are legends of prog nevertheless. It should be fun and really I've got nothing better to do with my time and money anyway!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 01:07

No way, man, you're the one who should apologise. Don't act like an offended virgin, this is exactly what you meant...now you can call your lawyer, I'm waiting fo you.

This response is aimed at the general forum, and not the keyboard warrior, Mr Barbu.

I have made a complaint in the Collab Zone about Barbu’s behaviour and accusations against me, which are frankly ridiculous and unacceptable. I am many things, but xenophobic and/or racist is not one of them. It is up to the administrators of the site how they deal with the complaint I have made.

However, after posting this, I will log out from the forum and will not participate in any further discussions here. Frankly, it is becoming like the majority of social media platforms, namely unpleasant and somewhat pointless in some people’s petty obsessions and use of such forums too make up for their personal and social inadequacies.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 07:51
Petty obsessions, personal and social inadequacies?

No need to go away, darling, but next time keep your xenophobic comments to yourself and all will be fine.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 08:01
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Is anybody really interested in hearing Invisible Touch by a bunch of old men? LOL

^This....

I watched a you tube clip of Phil and son Nic doing some recent live tracks and it was ...well. not that interesting.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 08:23
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I think if you prefer later Genesis then fork out for the reunion tour, if you prefer earlier Genesis then fork out a bit (a lot?) less to see Steve Hackett. I know which one I'd go for.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 08:24
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I attended a couple of (Hackett) Genesis Revisited concerts, own some live recordings too and I can positively say that Nad Sylvan is doing a tremedous job singing those early Genesis songs. To dislike his voice is one thing but saying that he is not a good fit and that he don't sound English enough for this material is nothing less than xenophobic garbage. ClapWinkLOL

Horses for courses I guess; I don't personally have a problem with his voice.. does the guy from 'the Watch' sound too Italian or the guy from 'The Musical Box' sound too Canadian??
I can understand why people might not like his voice but I don't have a problem with it, I think it fits the music well and I don't think he particularly has a "Swedish" voice (unlike Roine Stolt for instance).
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 10:34
It is very difficult to get me to see a major concert, or even a minor one due to my extreme dislike for city traffic and parking, as well as the exorbitant price of tickets these days. Also, the big shows require planning months in advance and I do not like to think that far ahead for a show. I saw Hackett a few years ago in Seattle doing a Genesis Revisited tour and it was awesome seeing those tunes played live. A Genesis reunion tour catches my interest, and if they hit the states there is a good chance they would come to my corner of the country. Of course, there is an even better chance they would do an east coast tour with only one west coast appearance in L.A.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 11:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I got my ticket yesterday using the priority order line. Very expensive though at £120 + £17 rip off extra 'service charges'. But at least we are facing the stage ( I cannot abide sitting on the side and having to twist my neck) and it's at my favourite venue on a Saturday night . Booked a hotel stay over with my best mate and well looking forward to it. Yeah I know they will play mostly post ATTTW material but they are legends of prog nevertheless. It should be fun and really I've got nothing better to do with my time and money anyway!

Boy I really hope they make it across the pond leftward......I would be shocked if Seattle gets a stop. Right now ur my hero.....send postcard.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 11:43

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I think if you prefer later Genesis then fork out for the reunion tour, if you prefer earlier Genesis then fork out a bit (a lot?) less to see Steve Hackett. I know which one I'd go for.

My other issue with Hackett's shows is his solo stuff for the most part bores me to tears. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>