Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Genesis listener are you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: What kind of Genesis listener are you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [2.59%]
34 [29.31%]
3 [2.59%]
20 [17.24%]
21 [18.10%]
8 [6.90%]
27 [23.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Genesis listener are you?
    Posted: March 07 2020 at 04:25
For the fun of it, vote and discuss. 
Explain especially if you choose the "other" option. Big smile

Edited by Cristi - March 07 2020 at 05:09
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 05:38
Don't like the first two or the last one. All others are fine.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 05:39

Other.

I like the music of Genesis, but not enough to consider myself a fan. I only listen to the albums up until 1977, but that is not a rule, just the way things are. I prefer Gabriel-era Genesis, though in a recent topic, I put a Collins-era track in second place after Supper's Ready. However, it was the only Collins-era track I listed in the Top 5.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:10
For me anything Genesis has done has been special I like most up to 77 but theres songs after that which I really like as well, how much I would like genesis since they have announced a reunion 

and doing some gigs https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/mar/04/prog-rock-stars-genesis-to-announce-reunion to release a new album.  Tongue Clap

Edited by Enchant X - March 07 2020 at 06:13
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:13
Have to choose also other. I like every other album except Calling All Stations. Used to hate "Invisible Touch"-song, but already then liked quite much for example "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", "Land Of Confusion", "Domino" and "the Brazilian" from that album. And if "Invisible" now comes from the radio, I don´t change the channel (today it doesn´t come too often).

But the era I really love is Peter´s era. Like quite much also that first pop album.

Edited by Mortte - March 07 2020 at 06:14
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:27
voted 2nd option

Like: I listen from Nurcery to Lamb 99% of my genesis time
A few revisits of Trick and Trespass. 

Don’t dislike neither From Genesis nor other later albums (at least up to Invisibil) but to little time for those and they will mainly turn up on a random playlist, and yes that includes Wind & W.
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:31
I like all genesis a lot up to and including duke. Don’t mind the pop years, don’t touch calling all starions

Edited by dougmcauliffe - March 07 2020 at 06:32
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:32
Genesis from Trespass to seconds out....is the ONLY answer...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:40
I only listen to the albums up until 1977, although I'll be listening to all of Genesis' albums soon when it comes time to give them a star rating. Smile
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 08:08
voted I'm a fanboy lol--which is sort of true as I have always found Banks songs on all the albums interesting to my ears even if I don't like all the album by the three. But mostly I listen to the music up to 1977 and I listen often.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 08:12
I listen to Nursury Cryme, Trespass and Seconds Out.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:38
I'd like to say that I listen until Duke and Shapes' A-side but in practicality I never go beyond Seconds Out.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:41
Not a fanboy.Really like TotT,W&W,TTW3 and the very first quite a bit.The rest is OK.
Shake & bake.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:45
Peter Gabriel era is the best, but I can enjoy anything up to the point that Hackett left. After that I'm not very interested.
Songs cast a light on you
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:47
Other: 

I'm not a Genesis fan. I have a conflicting relationship with Genesis.

I have great respect for their work, and I consider them damn serious, competent and... middle-class prog. I consider Gabriel the genius of the group, and the acoustic parts with Gabriel-Hackett the most engaging emotional. 

I consider Banks a very good instrumentalist but with a musical sensibility as a bureaucrat, and I don't remember any of his solos that made me enjoy like a hedgehog. In general, it is not a band that is characterized by solos and actually who seems to me most technically gifted and capable of spectacular games on his instrument is Phil Collins.

I consider their discography from Trespass to A Trick of a Tail very good, but his level is not one of the higher. The records I consider best are Trespass, the only one without weaknesses, and The Lamb, that is, those that deviate from their standard prog. Trespass is a little jewel, the only one I can say I got great pleasure to listen to it from the beginning to the end... Because with Trespass the pleasure touch the heart: it's the most melodic album: I feell emotions with it, instead the other albums produce more pleasure to the brain. 

Nursery Crime in my opinion is a minor work, instead Foxtrot and Selling England by the pound are ambitious operas but they dont reach the peaks of other groups because they have some weak songs.

In particular, A-side of Foxtrot is not so great and B-side of Selling England is weak.

Their best sequence are the firsts three songs of Selling (Trespass sequence is close), in particular, the first and the third: they are exceptional, a touch of genius and so, when I listened to them for the first time I was excited, but with the fourth song my humour went down... and the level quality of the second side is really modest.

Foxtrot and Close to the End, in my opinion, are ambitious works, without big falls and very well-groomed, they respect all the patterns of prog (such for which they are, how to say?, The common ground within which the various genres of the prog move) but they lack the ingenious flick, they are very elaborate and sometimes sophistication hides a scarcity of immediate melodic inspiration.

After A Trick of the Tail I consider their albums very modest.

Ok, my opinions.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 07 2020 at 09:51
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 10:17
After Steve Hackett left, I gradually lost interest in Genesis, I mostly listen to their albums until Duke.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 10:35
Genesis are not my favourite band, and I agree with jamesbaldwin that all their albums have some low points (except Live from 1973, that one is clearly masterpiece material except of course it's not the original source of the songs). I do prefer their Gabriel era material, but I  can find some good stuff up to Abacab, so I belong to the "picky" category. After Abacab it's over though.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 11:27
I lost interest around Wind & Wuthering in '77 but love it or loathe it, (not really my bag y'all) their subsequent 80's Pop output was as good as anything served up by the likes of Aha, Human League, the Police, Bowie, Tears for Fears, Simple Minds, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, Toto, Queen et al.  For the world's leafiest English suburbia 1st Gen Prog band to make that sort of transition so seamlessly and successfully beggars belief. That said, I still think Phil's a massive c*nt.

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 08 2020 at 05:24
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 11:30
First, I LOVE ALL of Genesis.

My favorite era, though, is:
Trick of the Tail
Wind & Wuthering
Spot The Pigeon
And Then There Were Three

I always say I like these because this is before Conny Plank told Phil he was a soul singer.  After this era, I gravitate to the Banks songs preferably.

Also, I'm a big fan of:
Rutherford's Smallcreeps Day
Banks' A Curious Feeling

Something about that mid-late 70's era I like.  Might be the David Hentschel production.

Edited by cemego - March 07 2020 at 11:31
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 11:39
Other. I don't listen to any albums past "From Genesis to Revelation".Shocked 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>