Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I don't like Neo Prog, change my mind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I don't like Neo Prog, change my mind
    Posted: March 05 2021 at 10:49
Darwins Radio.....'Template' ....not bad at all... ..reminds me of Spocks Beard at times...sadly only 2 lp's by this band.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 05 2021 at 11:03
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 10:27
Listened to the following the last 2 days...
-Sylvan- 'Post. Silence'.....pretty good...nice moments...had their own style.
-Pallas- 'Dreams Of Men'...solid neo...pretty good
-Pendragon-'Love Over Fear'....disappointing based on comments by fans..liked the earlier ones better
-Satellite- 'A Street...'...nothing special to me...but ok
-Collage- 'Moonshine'...ok, but again nothing that rang my bell
-Airbag- 'All Rights Removed'....pretty good...had their own style..not bad..interesting
-Psychedelic Ensemble- 'Queen of Sorrow'...pretty good..again has their own thing going on...different at times
-Galahad- 'Empires'....pretty good...some nice moments but....
-Galleon- 'From Land'....well done but nothing really grabbed me..,didn't liten to the 2nd cd

IQ beats them all for me........so far.
Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 10:30
I'm kind of surprised I have not contributed to this thread before, only because, while not a big fan of most UK neo prog I've heard (Pendragon's "Believe" is one major exception, an album many of their fans don't like!), I am a huge fan of 4 Polish neo prog groups, 3 of whom are admittedly related.

Collage - their album "Moonshine" in particular
Satellite - their albums "Street Between Sunrise and Sunset" and, especially, "Evening Games"
Believe - "Yesterday is a Friend" and, especially, "Seven Widows"...Mr Gil, the leader and guitarist, has released several good and very different solo albums
Albion - pretty much everything but especially the 2000s material
Millenium is also very good, with the album "Exist" being excellent
Quidam is another good one but they don't connect with me emotionally all that well
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 08:32
I don't even think Neo Prog was particularly 'bland' back in the day.  Fugazi broke the mould while The Wake was as raw as any punk rock music. The bands may have been a tad limited as far as 'chops' but as far as bland goes then nope.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 22:28
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Snareman Snareman wrote:

I’m not going to, I agree. Marillion has a few decent albums but beside that I find Neo Prog exceedingly bland.

Actually, old boy, Marillion have loads of extremely great albums, and they haven’t made one which is remotely neo-prog since about 1985.

Most of the luminaries who rode that second wave of prog back in the day, called neo here, have moved and progressed well beyond that. Pendragon and Abel Ganz have both released extremely fine albums this last year, and both are a million miles away from that sound you find bland.

Check them out. You might enjoy them.

I was glad to read this although I squeeze "Seasons End" from 1989 into what I feel is Neo Prog but after that nope.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 14:25
Originally posted by Snareman Snareman wrote:

I’m not going to, I agree. Marillion has a few decent albums but beside that I find Neo Prog exceedingly bland.

Actually, old boy, Marillion have loads of extremely great albums, and they haven’t made one which is remotely neo-prog since about 1985.

Most of the luminaries who rode that second wave of prog back in the day, called neo here, have moved and progressed well beyond that. Pendragon and Abel Ganz have both released extremely fine albums this last year, and both are a million miles away from that sound you find bland.

Check them out. You might enjoy them.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 13:41
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I think I don't like Neo Prog because it is way too outdated and has a very 80-90ish sound : too much clearness, a lack of emotion, a digital sound (not an analogic one). This is definitely not my cup of tea for a 70's prog lover as me but the fact is that I don't dislike 80's and 90's music but I like it punk, so the Neo Prog domain is maybe too Pop for me, too clean. I don't know. But I feel like making a mistake when I see the high ratings of Neo Prog albums such as IQ's, Marillion's or Flower King's.

There are some bands I could mention who put me off Neo Prog, but if you're looking for a band who sound like Genesis on steroids, then I'd highly recommend IQ, although I'd advise you don't choose Nomzamo as the first IQ album to listen to - it's not one of their best. You might find some good stuff if you have a rummage around in the Lush Attic though. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 27 2021 at 13:44
Snareman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snareman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 12:53
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 11:46
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Well, FloydianPinkRose, thank you but I think you're not entirely fair regarding Paul's responsibility in this matter. He has a habit to feed Cristi with his remarks, wrapped up like irony, but generally he is just provoking Cristi (e.g. his endless, unnecessary and repeated remarks regarding Marillion) - who, unfortunately, too often feels the need to react, instead of letting it rest. Paul also sometimes brings a "quarrel" from one thread to another with a side-remark and a wink. You can call it irony, but at a point - and in my opinion we have gone regularly beyond that point - it just gets an annoying. That's not humour anymore. Humour is fun, but only when it is shared. When it is not, there's no point to keep it going on, otherwise it leans to harassment.

My main point was that a forum member cannot ask another forum member not to react anymore to his posts. We all have the liberty to post where and when we want, until we - eventually - get banned, if/when we have gone too far. I will always defend Paul's liberty to post and react to Cristi's posts, (and the other way around, of course), but he can help avoid keeping this whole story dragging on and on.

So, it would be nice if both could try to stop making threads derail.

let's get back on topic, neo prog - recommend albums, artists and so on. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 11:40
Well, FloydianPinkRose, thank you but I think you're not entirely fair regarding Paul's responsibility in this matter. He has a habit to feed Cristi with his remarks, wrapped up like irony, but generally he is just provoking Cristi (e.g. his endless, unnecessary and repeated remarks regarding Marillion) - who, unfortunately, too often feels the need to react, instead of letting it rest. Paul also sometimes brings a "quarrel" from one thread to another with a side-remark and a wink. You can call it irony, but at a point - and in my opinion we have gone regularly beyond that point - it just gets an annoying. That's not humour anymore. Humour is fun, but only when it is shared. When it is not, there's no point to keep it going on, otherwise it leans to harassment.

My main point was that a forum member cannot ask another forum member not to react anymore to his posts. We all have the liberty to post where and when we want, until we - eventually - get banned, if/when we have gone too far. I will always defend Paul's liberty to post and react to Cristi's posts, (and the other way around, of course), but he can help to avoid keeping this whole story dragging on and on.

So, it would be nice if both could try to stop making threads derail.

All that said, we still have work to do to change softandwet's mind... (since he didn't tell us yet that it has changed).

Edited by suitkees - February 27 2021 at 11:47

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 09:47
I've stayed out of this for a bit, but I'll offer my two cents as a suggestion. This is not sent with anger or hatred.

Cristi: I think often times you take Paul's antics way too seriously. Perhaps there's something lost in translation, but most of the time, Paul is NOT making any jokes AT YOUR EXPENSE. They are just general jokes. He is not mocking you.

Paul: Read an audience. You should know when to just quit if you've upset someone.
FloydianPinkRose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 09:18
You are more than welcome, Grumpy! (Personally, I don’t find you grumpy at all!)
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 09:06
^Thank you.
FloydianPinkRose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 08:46
I’m pretty sure everyone who has read what I’ve written in the past, about Psychedelic Paul’s Album reviews and compilations, not to mention just about anything he’s written about Prog music here on PA, knows that I like and support him. Yes, we are good friends. No, we are not the same person. Let’s dispel that myth. And because I’m not on PA as often as he is, and not immersed in the world of Prog music like he and so many others here are, I appreciate Prog music from afar, and come here to read and enjoy the heartfelt passion that PA members share together about the music. It’s easy to see that there is great appreciation for not only the music itself, but the band members, their history, which other groups they played in, new releases after long absences, the whole nine yards. And to hear each member’s take on why these bands are special to them or what aspect of the music appeals to them. It’s truly a joy to read. But, there’s something that amazes and frustrates me, though it doesn’t surprise me, because PA is a forum to discuss opinions, and we all no what they say about opinions: everyone’s got one. Lol And some on here, or maybe one in particular, who shall remain anonymous, tends to put more weight on his opinion than perhaps there needs to be. I’m not referring to his opinion on Prog music, but his opinion on why another member of this Forum, who is just as passionate as he is about this music, and perhaps just as knowledgeable, continues to torment him. If tormenting is really his ultimate objective. I’m not savvy about how to put quotes in this like others on this site, but I’d like to give credit to a couple of people who went to bat for Psychedelic Paul, in these matters, and I’m sure I’m leaving others out that have before: GrumpyProgFan and Suitkees, thank you. You made a good point. It just seems to me, a virtual outsider, that this anonymous member reads too much into what others say, taking it too personally, as if a difference of opinion about Prog music or even someone agreeing with him about it, were someone going out of their way to make his existence unbearable. Let it go!! It’s not all about you! One can’t prohibit another member from sharing regardless of when he chooses to share, or why have a Prog Music Forum at all? One man’s friendly banter is another man’s Trolling. Even that is an opinion. A comment was made, that talked of being the only one who is being hurt. What about the feelings of the one sharing his one true passion in a venue designed to share with others who share his passion? If someone seeks to be left alone, a Forum probably isn’t the best place for him. Where there are bound to be differing opinions and emphasis on individual tastes and preferences. I know it’s a cliche, but: why can’t we all just get along? (And enjoy the Prog!!). Thanks for your time. FloydianPinkRose
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 20:16
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I can't even get upset

Is that some kind of ability you get from living in wonderland?

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 13:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The latest Lifesigns album is a real 'goodie'. 
Going back anyone mentioned Pallas - Dreams Of Men? That's a powerful recording from about 2005.
Pendragon - Love Over Fear is probably the best Neo Prog release of last year.
Frost* - never really think of them as neo prog band but certainly check out Falling Satellites. That's a very creative modern prog album that owes little to Genesis (although there is a sneaky reference to Duke on the track Fine Day For it) . Jem Godfrey is something of a genius in my eyes and the band also has John Mitchell on lead guitar , and talking of whom..
It Bites - The Tall Ships. Classic early 00's album , I have to listen to The Wind That Shakes The Barley at least once a week. That's them the rules Smile
Agree about Frost* not really sounding Neo. In fact, I think a few years ago they were in Crossover, which I think fits them a little better. Somewhere between typical modern crossover and Nu Neo (I'm making that a thing, I like it).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 07:36
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I've asked you a little while ago how have I upset you. I do not know, you never answered that post. I also apologized for having upset you (still don't know what I did, bit I still apologized). You have not said anything about that either. 
Revisit your "1995 was a good year poll." I told you exactly how you upset me. After I did this, you kept arguing like I was the one to blame. Your cut and paste apology, was posted before I explained what you did.

again, I apologized to you already, I do not know what else to do here, I never meant to upset you, it was unintentional. I do not have MO, It's never been my aim to upset anyone. It's never premeditated. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 07:32

I've asked you a little while ago how have I upset you. I do not know, you never answered that post. I also apologized for having upset you (still don't know what I did, bit I still apologized). You have not said anything about that either. 
Revisit your "1995 was a good year poll." I told you exactly how you upset me. After I did this, you kept arguing like I was the one to blame. Your cut and paste apology, was posted before I explained what you did.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 06:14
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Cristi, you've probably noticed by now that only you call it "tormenting" and "trolling". I call it friendly banter. Smile

This is hopeless. If you cannot respect my simple request, it only means you want to annoy and torment me, which to you it's just friendly banter. After all only I am hurting...
This is Cristi's MO. If you disagree with him he wants an explanation. When you explain, it's never enough, and he will antagonize you until you break and then he plays the victim. He has done this to me and several other members. His "trolling" on Paul, in the past, were hateful. I don't see any hate in Paul's posts.

LOL
wow... just wow.

The idea that I am trolling Paul is ridiculous and funny, I can't even get upset. LOL

Edited by Cristi - February 26 2021 at 06:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 06:05

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Cristi, you've probably noticed by now that only you call it "tormenting" and "trolling". I call it friendly banter. Smile

This is hopeless. If you cannot respect my simple request, it only means you want to annoy and torment me, which to you it's just friendly banter. After all only I am hurting...
This is Cristi's MO. If you disagree with him he wants an explanation. When you explain, it's never enough, and he will antagonize you until you break and then he plays the victim. He has done this to me and several other members. His "trolling" on Paul, in the past, were hateful. I don't see any hate in Paul's posts.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 26 2021 at 06:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>