Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I don't like Neo Prog, change my mind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 05:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

On the Neo-Prog page here at PA..the current team recommended these as representing the genre:
Marillion-Script for a Jester's Tear
Collage-Moonshine
Satellite-A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset
Sylvan-Posthumous Silence
Frost-Milliontown

Would the NeoProg fans here agree with this.....?

those are the highest rated?
good albums, worth checking out if you ask me. 

No..they were 5 representative albums in that genre according to the 3 members who wrote that page.
I would be interested in what you and Lazland like as your all time favorite neo prog albums.

I still need to know what you've enjoyed so far before i dare recommend anything. Smile

Well....I am a fan of IQ..all periods ,but especially Dark Matter and Frequency.
I have Arena- Contagion...it's ok. Pendragon-Masquerade Overture...again it's ok.
I have Marillion-Script , Fugazi, Afraid Of Sunlight, and a 2 cd compilation of both eras...all pretty good.
but so far IQ has been the one that grabs my attention.

I'm listening to Sylvan -Posthumous Silence right now...I like it so far....(but is that the drink talking...I'm currently drinking a Black Russian with a hint of peanut butter whiskey added)  Wink

That Sylvan album is really good, also try their 2015 album called "Home". 
Well if you like IQ, you might enjoy bands like Jadis, Galleon and Galahad. 

Pendragon's last album is really good. Also two other later day albums of theirs you might enjoy - Pure (2008) and Passion (2011). 

There are two female fronted bands I think you might like - Breathing Space (Coming Up for Air 2007 and Below the Radar 2009), Harvest (especially Northern Wind 2014). 

Magenta is under neo-prog on PA, but to me they sound like a mix between Yes and Renaissance LOL, really good. 

Satellite is a really good band, they released 4 albums in the 2000s and disappeared sadly. 

Airbag is another band I suggest exploring. Tongue

Darwin's Radio - did two albums in the 2000s and disappeared, but really good.  

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 05:35
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The latest Lifesigns album is a real 'goodie'. 
Going back anyone mentioned Pallas - Dreams Of Men? That's a powerful recording from about 2005.
Pendragon - Love Over Fear is probably the best Neo Prog release of last year.
Frost* - never really think of them as neo prog band but certainly check out Falling Satellites. That's a very creative modern prog album that owes little to Genesis (although there is a sneaky reference to Duke on the track Fine Day For it) . Jem Godfrey is something of a genius in my eyes and the band also has John Mitchell on lead guitar , and talking of whom..
It Bites - The Tall Ships. Classic early 00's album , I have to listen to The Wind That Shakes The Barley at least once a week. That's them the rules Smile

Oh yes! It Bites are a great band and probably the band I've seen the most times since the 80's. Seen them even more times than I've seen Rush.

The Tall Ships may even be their best album. As much as think Frank Dunnery was one of the best rock guitarists of the 80's, I think John Mitchell made an excellent contribution to that band later on. The Tall Ships is probably their most prog album, although Once Around the World is probably my overall top IB album. Old man and the Angel and the title track were mind blowing live. They also always had the best live sound of any band I've ever seen.

I saw them in London about 8 years ago, and the crowd were absolutely loving it. I think Mitchell was quite taken aback by the reaction. The Wind that Shakes the Barley was also glorious live.
I remember on the show 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks' they played a clip of It Bites once and Mark Lamar commented They were once described as Marillion with sex. A far more palatable concept, you'd agree than sex WITH Marillion'

Another big fan of It Bites here.  Never seen them live, and pretty much given up all hope now, but their 5 albums are all gems in their own way.  The Tall Ships is magnificentCool

The first time I saw them was in a small club in Reading in 1987 ( I think) a schoolfriend persuaded me to go with him. I knew very little about them. He was a pop fan. I was a rock fan, and he promised me I wouldn't be disappointed. I wasn't and I made sure he listened to plenty of Rush and Genesis after that, so he understood who had influenced IB.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 04:56
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Going back anyone mentioned Pallas - Dreams Of Men? That's a powerful recording from about 2005.
Frost* - never really think of them as neo prog band but certainly check out Falling Satellites. That's a very creative modern prog album that owes little to Genesis (although there is a sneaky reference to Duke on the track Fine Day For it) . Jem Godfrey is something of a genius in my eyes and the band also has John Mitchell on lead guitar , and talking of whom..
It Bites - The Tall Ships. Classic early 00's album , I have to listen to The Wind That Shakes The Barley at least once a week. That's them the rules Smile

Oh yes! It Bites are a great band and probably the band I've seen the most times since the 80's. Seen them even more times than I've seen Rush.

The Tall Ships may even be their best album. As much as think Frank Dunnery was one of the best rock guitarists of the 80's, I think John Mitchell made an excellent contribution to that band later on. The Tall Ships is probably their most prog album, although Once Around the World is probably my overall top IB album. Old man and the Angel and the title track were mind blowing live. They also always had the best live sound of any band I've ever seen.

I saw them in London about 8 years ago, and the crowd were absolutely loving it. I think Mitchell was quite taken aback by the reaction. The Wind that Shakes the Barley was also glorious live.
I remember on the show 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks' they played a clip of It Bites once and Mark Lamar commented They were once described as Marillion with sex. A far more palatable concept, you'd agree than sex WITH Marillion'

Another big fan of It Bites here.  Never seen them live, and pretty much given up all hope now, but their 5 albums are all gems in their own way.  The Tall Ships is magnificentCool
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 03:44

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 03:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Cristi, you've probably noticed by now that only you call it "tormenting" and "trolling". I call it friendly banter. Smile

Paul, it can't be friendly if it's clearly upsetting someone over and over and over.  Can't you give it a break?  I think Cristi deserves better than thisSleepy
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:56
You can ask everything, but you cannot demand/impose it. You're both very active members on this forum and thus contributing to the same threads, reacting to each other (and to others, of course). Paul sometimes has a tendency of trolling, but it never lasts long unless you feed him. Otherwise you both are contributing in the ways you deem good and interesting when it's about the music, so I suggest you keep it about the music and ignore everything else that can only lead to bickering.

Oh, and Paul, what you call "friendly banter" often looks like trolling, so maybe you could avoid that...?

Edited by suitkees - February 26 2021 at 03:10

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:56

^ Cristi, you've probably noticed by now that only you call it "tormenting" and "trolling". I call it friendly banter. Smile

This is hopeless. If you cannot respect my simple request, it only means you want to annoy and torment me, which to you it's just friendly banter. After all only I am hurting...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:52
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:46
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Oh you two, stop quarrelling all the time. It is really getting very very very tedious and has made several threads derail. And Cristi, in all good decency you can not ask a forum member not to post on a forum. You could start by doing what you ask Paul to do: not reacting to his posts!

I'm trying really hard, he is my tormentor here. I can ask him to stay away from me, can't I? Why can't he do that? Unless his purpose is to torment me, in which case he's doing a great job at that. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:42
Oh you two, stop quarrelling all the time. It is really getting very very very tedious and has made several threads derail. And Cristi, in all good decency you can not ask a forum member not to post on a forum. You could start by doing what you ask Paul to do: not reacting to his posts!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:40

^ I like Magenta too and YES and Renaissance are two of my favourite bands. Thumbs Up

I wonder what words would make you understand "stay away from me"... 
Why is that every time I agree with you, you try to turn it into an argument? LOL

May I ask why you keep ignoring what I say? I'm not trying to start an argument. So the forth time I'm saying to you: do not interact with me,  stay away from me. It's all I ask. 

Edited by Cristi - February 26 2021 at 02:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:33

^ I like Magenta too and YES and Renaissance are two of my favourite bands. Thumbs Up

Why is it that every time I agree with you, you try to turn it into an argument? LOL

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 26 2021 at 02:48
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:26

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:22
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:16

On the Neo-Prog page here at PA..the current team recommended these as representing the genre:
Marillion-Script for a Jester's Tear
Collage-Moonshine
Satellite-A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset
Sylvan-Posthumous Silence
Frost-Milliontown

Would the NeoProg fans here agree with this.....?

those are the highest rated?
good albums, worth checking out if you ask me. 

No..they were 5 representative albums in that genre according to the 3 members who wrote that page.
I would be interested in what you and Lazland like as your all time favorite neo prog albums.

I still need to know what you've enjoyed so far before i dare recommend anything. Smile

Well....I am a fan of IQ..all periods ,but especially Dark Matter and Frequency.
I have Arena- Contagion...it's ok. Pendragon-Masquerade Overture...again it's ok.
I have Marillion-Script , Fugazi, Afraid Of Sunlight, and a 2 cd compilation of both eras...all pretty good.
but so far IQ has been the one that grabs my attention.

I'm listening to Sylvan -Posthumous Silence right now...I like it so far....(but is that the drink talking...I'm currently drinking a Black Russian with a hint of peanut butter whiskey added)  Wink

That Sylvan album is really good, also try their 2015 album called "Home". 
Well if you like IQ, you might enjoy bands like Jadis, Galleon and Galahad. 

Pendragon's last album is really good. Also two other later day albums of theirs you might enjoy - Pure (2008) and Passion (2011). 

There are two female fronted bands I think you might like - Breathing Space (Coming Up for Air 2007 and Below the Radar 2009), Harvest (especially Northern Wind 2014). 

Magenta is under neo-prog on PA, but to me they sound like a mix between Yes and Renaissance LOL, really good. 

Satellite is a really good band, they released 4 albums in the 2000s and disappeared sadly. 

Airbag is another band I suggest exploring. Tongue

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 01:12
Sllepty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sllepty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 00:57
I quite love neo-prog but I wouldn't try to change your mind. I can totally see where you are coming from and it's your opinion, and you're certainty not alone in your stance on the topic.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 17:50
The Psychedelic Ensemble

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 15:56
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Try Sanguine Hum, The Psychedelic Ensemble, Frost*, Subsignal, Sylvan, K2 and Lifesigns.

Thanks Grumpy...I am  a fan of Sanguine Hum already...and Antique Seaking Nuns,.
I will ck out the others.........just listened to Sylvan-Posthumous Silence  and liked it.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 15:41
^Try Sanguine Hum, The Psychedelic Ensemble, Frost*, Subsignal, Sylvan, K2 and Lifesigns.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 25 2021 at 15:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>