Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Focus vs. Gryphon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Do you have a preference?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [50.94%]
23 [43.40%]
3 [5.66%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 16:53
Love both but Red Queen to Gryphon Three is one of my all time top ten albums in all prog genres. One of the better stereo system test albums to boot.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 19:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Thanks for all the responses, I wrote a post addressing each one I hadn't responded to, but then I thought, hmm, that might look over-the-top, and I do over-the-top far too often.

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Focus are one of my favourites whereas Gryphon never made a big impact on me. I should try out the Treason album though...

Treason is kind of Gryphon-lite, I might say. It's a nice album on the "Yes" and "Genesis" side of things. It's mostly harmless. I used to like it a lot. I do like "Spring Song" a lot and other songs. It's definitely a departure from earlier Gryphon, gone is that medieval feel, and no crumhorn, to which some might say "I've got a fever and the only prescription is more crumhorn". Treason is a bit of a funny name for it, because that implies a crime (against the state). Some Gryphon fans might have found this to be enough of a departure that they might not forgive the state of this Gryphon album, but it's too sweet and nice to be darkly criminal. If it be Treason, then it be low Treason rather than high Treason. But that's my take on it, and others may disagree. ;)

I played the Lament track just before and it was very nice. I should give Red Queen to Gryphon Three another go. That was one I checked out years ago (probably once), found it pleasant enough and moved on. 

I've found I seem to love a lot of what would be categorised as 'later-and-not-as-well-received albums by prog bands', so this could be the ticket, because if Beat is one of my favourite KC albums, A is one of my favourite JT albums, Breathless is one of my favourite Camel albums, Cunning Stunts is one of my favourite Caravan albums and I love Gentle Giant's last three, then anything is possible! Not that Treason seems to cop a ton of flack, but you know what I mean. These days I'm gravitating to the late 70's more and more too Shocked

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 22:12
I wouldn't call myself a fan of either but Focus takes it easily.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 22:53
I’m going to go with Gryphon. And my favourite album of theirs is the debut. But all of the 5 70’s releases are quite special. I like Focus a lot too.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 23:36
I iike dynamics in my music so Focus easily--I get what Gryphon do and sort of heard it all before--Focus is more original.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 23:57
I tried to get into Gryphon but couldn't where as I found Focus immediately appealing , my vote went for Focus Tongue
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 03:38
Focus.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 03:39
If there was a vote for both, I'd have taken it. Both superb bands.
But, having to choose, I'll go by a tiny margin for the band that made two of the greatest long tracks of all time - Midnight Mushrumps and Ein Klein Heldenleben - and the incredible Spring Song.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 03:41
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

If there was a vote for both, I'd have taken it. Both superb bands.
But, having to choose, I'll go by a tiny margin for the band that made two of the greatest long tracks of all time - Midnight Mushrumps and Ein Klein Heldenleben - and the incredible Spring Song.
Kewel !!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 03:49

^ Thanks for all the responses, I wrote a post addressing each one I hadn't responded to, but then I thought, hmm, that might look over-the-top, and I do over-the-top far too often.
 ;)

Don't worry about how something "looks". It's easy not to read something if there's too much written for reading it all. I don't read a fair bit of your stuff because it's too much for me, but I'd never say "write less" and I find things in your writing that enrich me, so it's worth it.

Edited by Lewian - April 26 2020 at 03:50
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 09:28
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

;)

Don't worry about how something "looks". It's easy not to read something if there's too much written for reading it all. I don't read a fair bit of your stuff because it's too much for me, but I'd never say "write less" and I find things in your writing that enrich me, so it's worth it.

Thank you, and thank you for your feedback. I want to be be able to express myself more coherently and succinctly, while maintaining my individual style.

How readable something is, how well it flows, its form and style, the word-choice, as well as the ideas being expressed, is important to me. I would like to be more concise, say much in few words, be better organised, be clearer in intent, manage to keep nuance, and to be relatively comprehensive without being dull. It's hard to get the balance right between being concise and substantial, and that balance differs depending on the individual. I like to read substantive, but not excessive posts commonly. If a really long post is well-structured and well-thought-out, then it can be very readable, I find. A really good post commonly is informative and entertaining, and commonly lends itself to enjoyable discussion. Even I have trouble reading my own posts sometimes, partially because it's so bloody repetitive, rambling, and boring -- not terribly insightful or illuminating. I think what I write is 99 percent crap. It wouldn't be good enough to be printed on toilet paper even if toilet paper (pity the trees that gave their lives for such crap) was in very abundant supply. It's meaningful to me as I write it, but then the process of taking a big crap is meaningful, and the results are rather the same. A crap by any name would smell as fetid. I'm quite good in my work with writing, but I think I'm really bad at it in the forums. I think that I should rein it in.

The way I look at it is that I'm writing for myself, but also for others, especially when I'm responding to others. I often try to create a fairly comprehensive picture in a post, but if it's not readable or understandable, is boring to most, or to the person I'm responding to, or doesn't seem to add value to the discussion, then the time I put into writing it might well have been better used elsewhere (well, that time would almost always be better served in other activities). My intent is too often misinterpreted by some, and the crux of my arguments often are seemingly missed in discussion, and that's my fault for not being clearer. I try to write in a sufficiently nuanced manner, but sometimes I write shorter on purpose, leaving out things that I thought too obvious to state, but then regret that omission in discussion as what may seem obvious to me may not be obvious to others. It's such a tricky balance to get right, saying enough that one's intent is clear and the argument/perspective is sufficiently explained and to add nuance and a variance of perspectives, but not so much that people won't bother reading it or the central points get lost in the mix. I should think when putting forward an argument: Are the premises sufficient, relevant and acceptable, and is it readable to others? I need a lot of work when it comes to sharing my perspectives/ ideas.

I do like to write creatively and especially attempts at humour. I tend to free-associate in forum writing. I originally typed up a much, much longer one that covered far too much ground, then scrapped it before pressing submit. Such stuff would be better suited to a personal blog. I'd call it "The Diarrhoea Diary". This is still turning out longer than I had hoped.

Effective communication can be very difficult, especially when dealing with a disparate audience.

My wife sometimes tells me,"Think things through carefully before you say something, then consider not saying it at all." It's good advice.

Mostly, I think I need to be a better listener and work harder to engage with what others are saying rather than spinning things off as much as I do in different directions, and be more to the point, and lose some of the absurdity. I don't want to write in a way that lends itself to excessive dissonance, I seek consonance with others, and my favourite discussions commonly are those that lead to a synthesis of ideas.

I personally like to read those posts that make me think, give me a new perspective, generate discovery, make me laugh, or give me the warm and fuzzies. I don't care that much about style, length or content with others as long as it seems friendly and accommodating. My favourite posts tend to leave me feeling good, in higher spirits, not exhausted and confused. Mind you, sometimes I like those that confuse me at first since I enjoy deciphering those, and when those click, it's rather like the experience I have with some music or like when a joke clicks. I have penetrated the mystery and had some kind of revelatory experience.:)

Edited by Logan - April 26 2020 at 09:56
Just a fanboy passin' through.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 10:08
Gryphon. Focus is too hit and miss

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 10:23
I now love Gryphon but had never heard of them till discovering PA. 

Focus, on the other hand, was one of my top 4 or 5 favorite bands throughout my teen years (back in the 1970s).
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2020 at 19:39
I just choose the one that gets more spins and that's Gryphon.
CygnusX-1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CygnusX-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 14:57
I have loved Focus for a while.
I only discovered Gryphon recently and I now love them as well. However, I probably like Focus more overall. Their sense of melody and medieval-classical structures always appealed to me slightly more than Gryphon's medieval instrumentation. However, they are both great semi-obscure prog bands.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 15:23

Focus
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 15:38
Gryphon
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 00:53
I really like both Smile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 03:21
Focus is my focus of the two. My hydrogen is a lunar base and my toes are lawn yawns.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 07:22
Surprised that this poll is as close as it is. I can't really state a preference given that I don't know much about Gryphon other than maybe they were an even more staid version of Gentle Giant (if that's at all possible!)

Focus were massively sucessful in the UK early seventies only at that time outsold by Yes, ELP, Tull and Floyd but generally considered in their bracket. Their performances at festivals were legendary. Great musicians and a nice bit of eccentricity to go with their talent. I would compare them to ELP, similar talent level and maybe a bit scattergun with ideas and not always on the same page. Shame that Van Leer and Akkerman had to go separate ways but also inevitable. Pierre Van Der Linden is way too overlooked as a drummer. No 2 ton drum kit needed but boy can he play!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>