Topic ClosedRoger Waters Wacked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 00:41
Originally posted by DarksideofCollages DarksideofCollages wrote:

Anything Related to Floyd he is entitled to. 
sure...up to 1987 after that he is not Pink Floyd.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 01:09
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Really don't like this revisionism going on with Roger Waters regarding who wrote what on Comfortably Numb. It's entirely between Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour and has nothing to do with Pink Floyd fans like myself who don't want to know. His feud has nothing to do with us.

I'm with you 100%.

However...

Expecting PF fans to be rational, when they can circle jerk over drama instead, is a recipe for disaster.

idk, there are two categories of PF fans, or maybe three.  One is the DB apologists and I am not in that category.  Two is the St Waters fan club who think his demands are somehow justified after everything he did to alienate the rest of the band.  Third is the ones who do think of the Waters years as the best phase of the band but don't like how he treated them, Mason and Wright in particular.  I belong to the third category and I think a few of us have been posting in this thread too. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 01:16
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Really don't like this revisionism going on with Roger Waters regarding who wrote what on Comfortably Numb. It's entirely between Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour and has nothing to do with Pink Floyd fans like myself who don't want to know. His feud has nothing to do with us.

I'm with you 100%.

However...

Expecting PF fans to be rational, when they can circle jerk over drama instead, is a recipe for disaster.

idk, there are two categories of PF fans, or maybe three.  One is the DB apologists and I am not in that category.  Two is the St Waters fan club who think his demands are somehow justified after everything he did to alienate the rest of the band.  Third is the ones who do think of the Waters years as the best phase of the band but don't like how he treated them, Mason and Wright in particular.  I belong to the third category and I think a few of us have been posting in this thread too. 
Sounds like a poll is coming.......LOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 02:25
^^^
I'd say that Roger is missing one category of Floyd fans: the Syd Barrett absolutistsLOL

I think it's been documented that the song's general musical outlines are Gilmour's, as the song is a leftover from David's solo album in 77. Now it was obviously re-worked to fit in the concept of The Wall * .
Obviously the lyrics are Waters-induced.

But TBH, Gilmour is not even the best singer in that song. His vocals parts are belt out on top of his lung, nearly over-reaching his capacity. Whereas Roger's parts are sultry, voluptuous and dangerous. But that's the way they chose their roles into the song. I'm definitely not sure if it would've worked so well, if they'd have reversed their roles.

* : just like Run Like Hell, BTW. A song that existed during the Animals recording session (and sonically, it belongs more in there than in Wall), but didn't get held back, maybe because of its disco-ish beat (something it shared with Brick pt2)

Edited by Sean Trane - May 23 2020 at 02:28
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 03:17

What about those who love listening to great PF music and even discussing it, but are happy to leave their personal issues alone including all discussions of the kind what bit of the music belongs to whom as a person, who has more merit in their greatness and who contributed more to their downfall... Their music has made my life richer for 40+ years, their feuds don't mean anything to me.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 07:39
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

What about those who love listening to great PF music and even discussing it, but are happy to leave their personal issues alone including all discussions of the kind what bit of the music belongs to whom as a person, who has more merit in their greatness and who contributed more to their downfall... Their music has made my life richer for 40+ years, their feuds don't mean anything to me.

Hurray to you if you can but if Waters very PUBLICLY injects himself into this topic and in fact resurrects it, I won't blame either category of fans for commenting on it.  And their feud doesn't HAVE to mean anything to me or anybody else to have a view on it. It has not diminished my respect for his work in any way but I am not going to be indifferent about what he did to the band either.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 07:40
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

^^^
I'd say that Roger is missing one category of Floyd fans: the Syd Barrett absolutistsLOL

Guess it's been so long since I've met them on here that I left them out. LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:35

Hurray to you if you can but if Waters very PUBLICLY injects himself into this topic and in fact resurrects it, I won't blame either category of fans for commenting on it.  And their feud doesn't HAVE to mean anything to me or anybody else to have a view on it. It has not diminished my respect for his work in any way but I am not going to be indifferent about what he did to the band either.
Agree.....I can spin early PF and have no reservations about Mr Waters behavior, I appreciate the music as a whole not in pcs. I feel I separate the dooshness of Waters being a dooshbag when listening to his talent in the group.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Agree.....I can spin early PF and have no reservations about Mr Waters behavior, I appreciate the music as a whole not in pcs. I feel I separate the dooshness of Waters being a dooshbag when listening to his talent in the group.

Absolutely right. It is perfectly possible to love the great music he created, and still accept that he acts like a right Mammory gland still times. 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 10:17
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ That's fair comment albeit tenuously ironic from someone with Judah in their forum name Wink

LOL Don't blame me! My real name IS Judah-Ben. Blame goes to my dad. I guess he just loves Ben-Hur a bit too much. He was 19 years old when that movie came out!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 10:36
Another case in point.....not sure what he is "announcing", he must have forgot 10 seconds into his video LOL. I guess he is announcing the band should be called Spinal Tap.
If I have the year right, the only content Pink Floyd should allow on their website by Waters is Pros/Cons of Hitch Hiking. 
He continues to neglect telling his fans that not only did he leave PF but he also sued them, he is playing on the fact that the band has attracted millions of people born in the 80s/90s that like their music. 
And again, he inserts his political BS feelings......

I'm currently watching the Gilmour Live in Pompeii documentary and you can see how very happy Gilmour is with his family, something that must irk at Waters that he does not apparently have, IDK? 
I'm starting to feel sorry for Roger Waters acting like "a right Mammory gland" LOL.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 13:10
Gilmour just recently auctioned off 126 guitars (including the ones he toured with and those that were used for all the famous Floyd studio albums), and donated the resulting $21 million to charity. His interviews are always thoughtful and introspective, and he seems like a decent, caring guy who lets his music do the talking for him.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 17:46
^He got 3.9 million for one black Strat.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 21:16
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^He got 3.9 million for one black Strat.
The one he used on Live at Pompeii ??

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 23 2020 at 21:17
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 22:35

He continues to neglect telling his fans that not only did he leave PF but he also sued them, he is playing on the fact that the band has attracted millions of people born in the 80s/90s that like their music. 
And again, he inserts his political BS feelings......

Yup, easy to confuse the narrative now that it's been years since it all happened. Mind, as a guy born in the mid 80s, I am well aware of the kerfuffle that broke out after TFC. But at the time I was getting into PF, we still used to read wiki or fansites to find out the facts as opposed to watching videos so it was maybe harder to fool us.  He's got a better shot now at manipulating people into thinking he's the one wronged by the other three/two.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 02:10

^^^

Come on:

Roger That
Roger "Syd" Barrett
Roger Waters LOL

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

His interviews are always thoughtful and introspective, and he seems like a decent, caring guy who lets his music do the talking for him.

Yeah, nobody is disputing that - well not much anyways: I don't know which artiste doesn't do that kind of basic PR stuff. Same can be said for Roger : thoughtful and introspective, though he likes to explain a bit more his music.

It's just that when when this particular subject arises , they both contract anally and have a constipating diarrhea. LOL

===============

But Roger should really refrain from tweeting around the day after a solid night out (or in - in this case). Clearly, the man's puffed face shows that he ingested a fair bit of alcohol the day before.

Edited by Sean Trane - May 24 2020 at 02:33
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 02:35

^^^

Come on:

Roger That
Roger "Syd" Barrett
Roger Waters LOL

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

His interviews are always thoughtful and introspective, and he seems like a decent, caring guy who lets his music do the talking for him.

Yeah, nobody is disputing that - well not much anyways: I don't know which artiste doesn't do that kind of basic PR stuff. Same can be said for Roger : thoughtful and introspective, though he likes to explain a bit more his music.

It's just that when when this particular subject arises , they both contract anally and have a constipating diarrhea. LOL

===============

But Roger should really refrain from tweeting around the day after a solid night out (or in - in this case). Clearly, the man's puffed face shows that he ingested a fair bit of alcohol the day before.

.....and your post shows you had a fai bit of alcomohol today 😂

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 24 2020 at 02:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 02:37
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

.....and your post shows you had a fai bit of alcomohol today 😂

have you read yourself?? TongueEvil SmileLOL

Originally posted by DarksideofCollages DarksideofCollages wrote:

Anything Related to Floyd he is entitled to. 
sure...up to 1987 after that he is not Pink Floyd.

After 87, it's not fit to be Pink Floyd anyways. Tongue Fairly unworthy of the name.

Edited by Sean Trane - May 24 2020 at 02:37
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 09:26

Squirrels keep food stored in their cheeks till they bury it for a future snack date.....Roger must be doing the same with his alcomohol, allowing him to savor the moment and extend the effects a tad bit longer...Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 19:18

I'm with you 100%.

However...

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Expecting PF fans to be rational, when they can circle jerk over drama instead, is a recipe for disaster.</span>

I guess I would be in the third one too, only clarifying a few things. The Waters years are the best, but particularly the ones from Meddle to Animals, and not because I think it was Waters doing, but because it was a collective effort, and they all contributed to the music. Dark Side of the Moon is perhaps the album with the most contributions from Wright. However, I do consider Waters did do some of the great songs from the era, like Welcome to the Machine and Sheep. Of course his contributions seem to be magnified because he wrote the lyrics to all songs at that time, so even if he hardly contributed to the music, he still gets writing credits, and so he has credits on just about every song. And also, even if this is my favourite period, I still think they did wonderful stuff at other times, and I would rank both the earlier era, as well as the Gilmour era, over just about any other band out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>