Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Waters Wacked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 00:47
Too many floyd fanboys getting their knickers in a twist...floyd are in my second division, they are never going to threaten Genesis, Yes, ELP, Focus, IQ, Flowerkings, Spocks Beard, Glasshammer...ad nauseum...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 01:44
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Too many floyd fanboys getting their knickers in a twist...floyd are in my second division, they are never going to threaten Genesis, Yes, ELP, Focus, IQ, Flowerkings, Spocks Beard, Glasshammer...ad nauseum...

Yessssss, I agree that all of those band are a bit nauseating compared to Floyd's 70's brilliance.TongueLOL

Floyd was the most brilliant and progressive band, becayse they questionned and redefined themselves with every new album. I mean not one of their albums sounds like another, and after one second, you know immediately on which album you are on, even with the patchy OBC. Floyd was about ideas, rather than technique or virtuosity. Clap
I mean which other 70's or post 70's band can claim that they totally reinvented themselves from one album to the next?

Floyd was progressive because they progressed with each new album, not like many who simply wallowed endlessly in the little niche they'd created for themselves, until forced to exit the niche because it had become stale.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 01:47
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

.....and your post shows you had a fai bit of alcomohol today 😂

have you read yourself?? TongueEvil SmileLOL
[DIV

Yeah, I know, a dozen edits and I still make no sense
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 03:35
I'm more of a Wright fan, so for me anything from Meddle to Animals + Division Bells are 10/10 for me. Also, I've a soft spot for The Endless River, even though it's not as good as their golden albums. LOL

As for Roger, I think his political views are crazy, especially when he supports Maduro on Venezuela. Still, I don't think he should have access to the PF accounts because he's simply not in the band anymore.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 03:57
Mr Trane. Floyd was always overrated, especially by their fanboys. Your post confirms that. Aye. All those bands I mentioned are utter sh*te when compared to the brilliance of tbe floyd...of course they are....too much emphasis on all that virtuosity and aimless noodling....bet you hate Dream Theater...😁

Edited by M27Barney - May 25 2020 at 03:58
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 07:19

bet you hate Dream Theater...😁

My hate would be too much honour for DTStern Smile... They just Sleepy me to death

... on top of being the second most ridicule "prog" band after ELP.Evil Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 17:57

Yessssss, I agree that all of those band are a bit nauseating compared to Floyd's 70's brilliance.TongueLOL

Floyd was the most brilliant and progressive band, becayse they questionned and redefined themselves with every new album. I mean not one of their albums sounds like another, and after one second, you know immediately on which album you are on, even with the patchy OBC. Floyd was about ideas, rather than technique or virtuosity. Clap
I mean which other 70's or post 70's band can claim that they totally reinvented themselves from one album to the next?

Floyd was progressive because they progressed with each new album, not like many who simply wallowed endlessly in the little niche they'd created for themselves, until forced to exit the niche because it had become stale.

And yet, you can easily know you are listening to Pink Floyd.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 18:06
Originally posted by Deadwing Deadwing wrote:

I'm more of a Wright fan, so for me anything from Meddle to Animals + Division Bells are 10/10 for me. Also, I've a soft spot for The Endless River, even though it's not as good as their golden albums. LOL

As for Roger, I think his political views are crazy, especially when he supports Maduro on Venezuela. Still, I don't think he should have access to the PF accounts because he's simply not in the band anymore.

Moslty my favourite eras too, though there's a good bit of Wright on their earlier albums. However, as far as the Endless River goes, just do a collection of the best from The Division Bell and The Endless River, and it gives you a good idea of how a more traditional Floyd sounding album would have come out in 94... and as much as I love The Division Bell, this combination would have made it even better. Version for such a union of albums would be: Things left unsaid / It's what we do / Ebb and Flow, Marooned, A great day for freedom. Take it back, Sum / Skins, Coming back to life. Keep Talking, Night light / Allons Y-1 / Autumn 68 / Allons Y-2, Talkin Hawkin. Poles apart, Calling / Eyes to Pearls / Surfacing, High Hopes.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 00:58
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

that's their genius too. Star
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 01:00
Aye like status quo...👍
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 01:36

Aye like status quo...👍

Yup,indeed just like for Quo, fir Glass Hammer and Spock's Beard, you got one album, you got them all...

Something that can't be said about Floyd. StarStarStar
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 02:38
Oh yes, Floyd did change form album to album - may as well be done by a different band each time, yet you just know it’s Pink Floyd.
........and thank’s Richard, for the phenomenal Farfisa organ work......distinctive and other-worldly and defines that period Floyd to a tee.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 03:48

I wouldn't say WYWH was much of a reinvention from DSOTM.  Animals from WYWH, yes, likewise, Wall from Animals.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 03:53

Because Floyd repeats motifs, hooks, licks, chord progressions, percussion patterns, you name it, a lot.  There is an element of continuity between Money and Sheep even if the songs are overall very different.  Likewise Time and the second half of Dogs/Pigs.  And with all due respect, their musicians did not have the galactic talent of some of their prog peers to be able to disguise this fact through their playing.  Contrast this with Genesis who have an essential Genesis sound and template that they were content to use in album after album from Trespass all the way to W&W.  But each album was an exploration of this template in a different way and presented different elements in terms of the meat.  

So I understand where MZBarney's complaint is coming from, the problem is only that he overstates it and completely dismisses Floyd's genius in putting together great studio albums, something that they were far better at than any of their prog peers.  The other bands just wrote a bunch of compositions they loved and released it (Lamb being the only exception and for which Banks and Rutherford duly rewarded Gabriel by firing him). That is why they don't have a particular point of view or story to tell.  But musically, they have more depth than Floyd's 'classic' phase and I would likewise say the first two PF albums had more depth than the 70s classic phase.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 04:04
A few things surprise me about this thread. The first is the conflation with an egotist and a bad person. The two are not mutually inclusive. Secondly, the declaration of a few to liking Water's music even though they do not like Waters' personality, politics, etc., as if one was somehow dependent on the others. I've stated in the past that Stephen Stills and I are far from friends, but that never precluded me from enjoying his work as a musician or enjoying his music. This difficulty of separating the two has always baffled me.

If more people were aware of the true nature of many of their musical heroes I'm afraid that they would burn all of their previously favorite artist's recordings, like the way Beatles' records were burned in the US in the mid sixties. LOL

Edited by SteveG - May 26 2020 at 04:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 06:44

So their genius is reinventing themselves and yet sounding the same? Confused 

I'm not a Floyd hater, quite the opposite, but you're not making much sense. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 07:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A few things surprise me about this thread. The first is the conflation with an egotist and a bad person. The two are not mutually inclusive. Secondly, the declaration of a few to liking Water's music even though they do not like Waters' personality, politics, etc., as if one was somehow dependent on the others. I've stated in the past that Stephen Stills and I are far from friends, but that never precluded me from enjoying his work as a musician or enjoying his music. This difficulty of separating the two has always baffled me.

If more people were aware of the true nature of many of their musical heroes I'm afraid that they would burn all of their previously favorite artist's recordings, like the way Beatles' records were burned in the US in the mid sixties. LOL

Agreed. It's very important to separate the man from his work/art. Best example I can think of is classical composer Richard Wagner, whose rabid anti-semitism makes him a terrible person but does not diminish his music. Speaking of terrible people, it's interesting to note that Hitler adored the music of Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov, who were all listed as 'degenerate art' by the Nazi regime. Confused
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 08:21

what about Strawbs?  Obviously not in the same league but I think their peak period, and beyond, was pretty different from album to album while still being recognizable.  You could even prepend their first 2 albums, the first being sunny 60s pop and the second a very pastoral folk record

From the Witchwood was pastoral folk rock with symphonic outbursts courtesy of RW
Grave New World was symphonic folk
Bursting at the Seams was folk rock with pop and prog aspects
Hero and Heroine was mad proggery
Ghosts was not hugely different but did blend back in some more acoustic textures
Nomadness was straightforward rock pretty much, but is a much more musically diverse album than any of them 
Deep Cuts was slick pop 

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 09:03

funny that you criticize fanboys when you are the ultimate Genesis fanboy here, you may have even ruined Genesis for a few people. 

I would not compare Floyd with ELP or Yes, apples and oranges, Genesis as well. 

BTW, IQ is definitely influenced by Floyd LOL

Why do you misspell names of bands you say are favorite of yours? LOL

Oh, and Glass Hammer is one of the most tedious (to put it gently) retro-prog bands I've ever heard. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 10:04
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Without reading thru all the posts, has anyone said they don't listen to PF due to Waters political, religious or people views? Maybe I missed some of that if so.

But yea in general I agree, I think a lot of artists have questionable issues that might push someone to apply gas to their records. As I said I prefer an artist pose questions and then let the listener make up their own minds without nudges from the artist.....that to me is more entertaining and thought provoking.
I thought burning Beatles records was sacrilegious??? WTH!!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>