Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA's Top Albums from the 60s & 70s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PA's Top Albums from the 60s & 70s
    Posted: May 26 2020 at 15:38
As of this day, 26 May 2020, ProgArchives' database rates the following 30 albums as the Top Albums of the Opening Decades of "progressive rock music," the 1960s and 1970s:

1. Yes – Close to the Edge

2. Genesis – Selling England by the Pound

3. Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here

4. King Crimson – In the Court of the Crimson King

5. Jethro Tull – Thick as a Brick

6. Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon

7. Genesis - Foxtrot

8. King Crimson - Red

9. Pink Floyd - Animals

10. Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff

11. Yes - Fragile

12. Genesis – Nursery Cryme

13. Van Der Graaf Generator – Pawn Hearts

14. King Crimson – Larks’ Tongues in Aspic

15. Camel - MIrage

16. Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) – Per un amico

17. Camel - Moonmadness

18. Yes - Relayer

19. Rush – Hemispheres

20. Jethro Tull - Aqualung

21. Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin!

22. Gentle Giant - In a Glass House

23. Banco del Mutuo Soccorso – Io sono nato libero

24. Harmonium – Si on avait besoin d’une cinquième saison

25. Frank Zappa – Hot Rats

26. Rush - A Farewell to Kings

27. Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) – Storia di un minuto

28. Genesis – The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

29. Pink Floyd - Meddle

30. Miles Davis – Kind of Blue (1959)

What do you think of this list?

How does it compare to your own list of Prog's first two decades?

Are these the greatest musical contributions progressive rock music has ever made?

Has time diminished their lustre and genius?

Are modern musical artists just w**kers in comparison?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 16:02
No 30 is the only one I have an issue with (surprise surprise) . Sneak in the ELP debut album and then you have it although of course that is still behind a lot of other albums on the PA 100. Also the UK debut album should be represented as that was a genuine go at progression at the back end of the seventies although for some reason its ranked quite low on PA (anomaly?).
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 20:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

No 30 is the only one I have an issue with (surprise surprise) . Sneak in the ELP debut album and then you have it although of course that is still behind a lot of other albums on the PA 100. Also the UK debut album should be represented as that was a genuine go at progression at the back end of the seventies although for some reason its ranked quite low on PA (anomaly?).

Agreed on all counts. I don't understand the loyalty to Danger Money (or whatever it's called) but the original UK album is a real sonic treat, start to finish--and a five star album, IMnotsoHO.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 21:28
I have to giggle when I hear the words "prog from the 60's" only because prog was barely a thing in that decade. Oh well. I guess if we just say 70's then we leave out that one obvious defining album. ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 26 2020 at 21:29
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 23:54
^ I agree, for the most part the albums released in the late 60s had a more impact in the whole of 70's. Progressive rock has a longer gestation period than say pop music or traditional rock music.
The list is acceptable for me, simply because it is due to the ratings of PA reviews, less subjectivity than say a voting poll that will vary widely....I can accept this list more easily.

I have almost all of these records, so it gives me a list to work off when crate digging.Thumbs Up
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 00:22
A rather nice list. Many albums at the top also have high ratings in my own list. By the way, not these KC albums. The only one that qualifies for a top 30 ranking in my own list would be Islands. I miss a few of my own faves here, but one cannot have them all.

The prog albums of the 70's have withstood the tooth of time very well. They still set the standard even half a century later.

On the other hand, I would not call modern musicians "w**kers". I'd rather save such a term for newer genres which I can barely stand. In the 70's, time had the right viscosity to preserve a footprint and days have hardened since then. Moreover, there were lots of room for pioneers.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 00:33
Not surprising at all, if I ignore the fact that everything here has pretty much been overplayed and over talked about this list is ok. The problem is the big bands are taking too many spots, it would be nice to see only one album by a band, there's no need for 4 Genesis album, 3 Yes, 3 KC and etc.
There are so many bands releasing amazing albums in that time but just didn't have the right exposure. 

P.S - Altough Kind Of Blue should not be here I think it's as good as no. 1.

Edited by Sagichim - May 27 2020 at 00:50
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 02:16
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

7. Genesis - Foxtrot

8. King Crimson - Red

9. Pink Floyd - Animals

11. Yes - Fragile

15. Camel - MIrage

17. Camel - Moonmadness

18. Yes - Relayer

19. Rush – Hemispheres

29. Pink Floyd - Meddle

Couldn't you have left out KOB (it isn'ty even from the 60's, it's from the 50's)? AngryWink

I know everyone of those albums and owned them all at one point, though in some case (the Italians and Camel), I ended  up making CD-r compilations.

Some haven't aged very well (thinking of Cryme), but on the whole I still agree with it all

Edited by Sean Trane - May 27 2020 at 02:27
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 06:22
I have written elsewhere that I think one key thing that is happening is that the top albums of the 60s and 70s defined the genre. This means that here on PA by and large people meet who know these well and esteem them highly. Later material is not worse in my view, but the best of it, the truly "progressive" ones,  move away from the classics in various directions, and people here cannot agree on their favourite direction for later prog, meaning that the 60s and 70s material has far more potential for agreement and therefore high average ratings and numbers of votes (and being discussed in the forum again and again ad nauseam, as some never tire to point out).

This is also reflected in my personal view, which is that I think this list is by and large fine and I don't have issues with the vast majority that's there (enough has been written about A Kind of Blue, although Miles could deserve a spot in that list with Bitches Brew, and then I'm never going to be a Rush fan, and Pink Floyd have a big number of albums that are fresher and more ground breaking than WYWH, but that's pretty much it) despite it still deviating significantly from what'd be the top 30 according to my own taste. But I know my own taste is somewhat marginal, and I know these are great albums, even those that I'd rank only at 100, say, rather than top 30. Surely I'd like to see some Can there, but the situation is certainly better than in the 80s and 90s or even the 2000s, where the lists are largely dominated by derivative stuff, and the ground breaking and innovative material that also exists didn't make the cut because some voters didn't like it, probably owing to some kind of purist 70s prog esthetic.   

Edited by Lewian - May 27 2020 at 06:31
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 06:35
Hi,

I appreciate that list and everything in it is neat, far out and a great listen ... however, I still have the issue that the list, BASICALLY, only shows 13 artists ... and that means that a similar list could have another 17 artists in it, that also showed how great progressive music was/is.

As such, the duplicates make it look like it is rather difficult and impossible to include anyone else in the list, and have folks listen to a few more different things ... the list is grossly missing things from Amon Duul 2, Can, Ange ... for example, which kinda suggests that they were not important or valuable ... and that's really sad ... 2 of those helped a scene in Germany come alive (along with film, theater and other arts) and Ange, had its inspiration in Jacques Brel and a slight touch of the Brecht/Weill work in their very early albums ... and for both of these it is an ARTISTIC connection ... not  a rock'n'roll connection as is the case with some of the works listed.

But yes, I do love everyone of those albums ... just sad, again, that the rest of the world does not exist!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 09:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I have written elsewhere that I think one key thing that is happening is that the top albums of the 60s and 70s defined the genre. This means that here on PA by and large people meet who know these well and esteem them highly. Later material is not worse in my view, but the best of it, the truly "progressive" ones,  move away from the classics in various directions, and people here cannot agree on their favourite direction for later prog, meaning that the 60s and 70s material has far more potential for agreement and therefore high average ratings and numbers of votes (and being discussed in the forum again and again ad nauseam, as some never tire to point out).

This is also reflected in my personal view, which is that I think this list is by and large fine and I don't have issues with the vast majority that's there (enough has been written about A Kind of Blue, although Miles could deserve a spot in that list with Bitches Brew, and then I'm never going to be a Rush fan, and Pink Floyd have a big number of albums that are fresher and more ground breaking than WYWH, but that's pretty much it) despite it still deviating significantly from what'd be the top 30 according to my own taste. But I know my own taste is somewhat marginal, and I know these are great albums, even those that I'd rank only at 100, say, rather than top 30. Surely I'd like to see some Can there, but the situation is certainly better than in the 80s and 90s or even the 2000s, where the lists are largely dominated by derivative stuff, and the ground breaking and innovative material that also exists didn't make the cut because some voters didn't like it, probably owing to some kind of purist 70s prog esthetic.   
Keep in mind the list is derived from the reviewers numerical rating and the volume of reviews, its not a voted on list, which would = PA WWIII, IV and V LOL
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 10:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Keep in mind the list is derived from the reviewers numerical rating and the volume of reviews, its not a voted on list, which would = PA WWIII, IV and V LOL

Yeah... I meant raters of course.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 13:24
Lost a big response post. Anyway, my favorites from the era. Some crossover with the PA list. Funny that this section has the fewest replies. I guess a lot of people have the opinion that this era is all a forgone conclusion.

1. Yes - Yessongs
2. Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
3. Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
4. Island - Pictures
5. UK - UK
6. Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere 
7. Genesis – Selling England by the Pound
8. King Crimson - Red
9. Banco del Mutuo Soccorso – Io sono nato libero
10. Magma - Live Hhai
11. Supertramp - Crime of the Centrury
12. Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
13. Alphataurus - Alphataurus
14. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Emerson, Lake and Palmer
15. Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - ...di Terra
16. Supersister - Present from Nancy
17. Magma - Kohntarkosz
18. Franco Battiato - Fetus
19. Gnidrolog - In Spite of Harry's Toenail
20. Jethro Tull - Stand Up
21. King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
22. The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord
23. Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
24. Genesis - Seconds Out
25. Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) – Storia di un minuto
26. Klaus Schultz - Mirage
27. Rush - A Farewell to Kings
28. Frank Zappa - We're Only in it for the Money
29. Shadowfax - Watercourse Way
30. Tangerine Dream - Stratosphere

Also, had I chose to incorporate proto and related albums I would have considered the following:
Black Sabbath - Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath (near the top)
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced? (Top half)
The Who - Tommy  (second 10)
Deep Purple - Shades of... (middling)
Queen - II (25-30)

Edited by Tapfret - May 27 2020 at 20:14
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 13:53
Actually, come to think of it since "kind of blue" is on here it should say "50's, 60's and 70's." Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 16:13
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Lost a big response post. Anyway, my favorites from the era. Some crossover with the PA list. Funny that this section has the fewest replies. I guess a lot of people have the opinion that this era is all a forgone conclusion.

Hi,

Nice listing ... only 3 duplicates and shows a lot more artists and appreciation for music ... which was in many other places. 

Well done!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 16:56
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

As of this day, 26 May 2020, ProgArchives' database rates the following 30 albums as the Top Albums of the Opening Decades of "progressive rock music," the 1960s and 1970s:

7. Genesis - Foxtrot

8. King Crimson - Red

9. Pink Floyd - Animals

11. Yes - Fragile

15. Camel - MIrage

17. Camel - Moonmadness

18. Yes - Relayer

19. Rush – Hemispheres

29. Pink Floyd - Meddle

1)What do you think of this list? How does it compare to your own list of Prog's first two decades?

JUST FIVE ARE IN MY LIST

1) From H to He Who Am The Only One - Van Der Graaf Generator 
2) Pawn Hearts - Van Der Graaf Generator
3) Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt
4) The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other - Van Der Graaf Generator
5) Arbeit Macht Frei - Area
6) Silent Corner and The Empty Stage - Peter Hammill
7) In The Court Of... - King Crimson
8) Starsailor - Tim Buckley
9) Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
10) Red - King Crimson
11) Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night - Peter Hammill
12) Music In A Doll's House - Family
13) Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
14) Roxy Music - Roxy Music
15) First Utterance - Comus
16) Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
17) Lorca - Tim Buckley
18) Storia di un Minuto - PFM
19) Maledetti - Area
20) Islands - King Crimson

I dont know if

Banco - Darwin, Genesis - The Lamb, Harmonium, Jethro Tull - Aqualung could enter in my top 30.

2) Are these the greatest musical contributions progressive rock music has ever made?
Has time diminished their lustre and genius?

In my opinion, Camel and Rush never made a true masterpiece. Close to the Edge and Relayer are small masterpiece as well as Foxtrot and Dark Side of the Moon and Larks Tongues and Godbluff: they can be in the top 50 but in my opinion not in the top 20. Fragile and Selling England and Animals and Per un amico and Io sono nato libero are overrated. Thick as a Brick and Meddle and Nursery Crime are not so great. Glass House is mediocre. Miles Davis is jazz, not prog.

Too many albums by the same artists.

Rock Bottom and Silent Corner and Arbeit Macht Frei and one album betwen From H to He and The Least, and Magma, Soft Machine, Roxy Music and Family and Henry Cow should be present in the Top 30.

3)Are modern musical artists just w**kers in comparison?

Modern artists they are technically better prepared, they can afford pharaonic productions with which to publish very sophisticated fusion music ... but they do not have the same inspiration and creativity as the albums of the sixties and seventies, which were seminal.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 27 2020 at 17:08
"Happiness is real only when shared"
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 17:31
It doesn't reflect my preferences that much to be honest. F.e. I prefer The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway to Selling England By the Pound or Foxtrot, Aqualung to Thick as a Brick, The Dark Side of the Moon to Wish You Were Here, early Mothers to Zappa's 70's output and so on (I know Hot Rats is from 1969).

Also, I miss several albums by f.e David Bowie, Brian Eno, Kraftwerk, Can, Faust, Talking Heads and Roxy Music. Personal album favourites like Tubular Bells, A Salty Dog and Days of Future Passed are also missing.

Edited by The Anders - May 27 2020 at 17:40
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 20:56
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Hi,

Nice listing ... only 3 duplicates and shows a lot more artists and appreciation for music ... which was in many other places. 

Well done!

Thanks. 
I think very few users would have a list that matches the PA list based on weighted averages. Its just that once that top layer of the most widely distributed artists (the big 5 if you will) is passed, the level of familiarity drops off rather precipitously. I honestly don't see many of the artists on my list competing in any obscurity contests, but they are just never going to attain the exposure of that handful of major prog artist.

In light of your focus on keeping the list in a one album per artist I decided to generate the same PA top 30 with that criteria in mind. Also, kept the included years starting at 1960 so there is no fudging to include Kind of Blue  

1. Yes – Close to the Edge

2. Genesis – Selling England by the Pound

3. Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here

4. King Crimson – In the Court of the Crimson King

5. Jethro Tull – Thick as a Brick

6. Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff

7. Camel - Mirage

8. Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) – Per un amico

9. Rush – Hemispheres

10. Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin!

11. Gentle Giant - In a Glass House

12. Harmonium – Si on avait besoin d’une cinquième saison

13. Frank Zappa – Hot Rats

14. Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire

15. Supertramp - Crime Of The Century

16. Renaissance -Scheherazade And Other Stories

17. Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn

18. Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra

19. Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage

20. Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

21. Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom

22. Emerson Lake & Palmer - Emerson Lake & Palmer

23. Steve Hackett - Voyage Of The Acolyte

24. Hatfield And The North - Hatfield And The North

25. Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

26. Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior

27. Khan - Space Shanty

28. Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 3 - You

29. Tangerine Dream - Rubycon

30. Area - Arbeit Macht Frei

Very interesting how that spices the list up. Now there is a heck of a lot more albums that match my list.  Canterbury bands really get represented. And some of these that turn out to be the highest rated of each particular band are surprising. And there's that pesky old Miles Davis making an appearance to keep everyone's dander up. 

Fun exercise.

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 00:13
Agree, keep it to one album per artist and exclude live albums, that way you include more artists on the list. Above is fine. 
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 00:17
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

It doesn't reflect my preferences that much to be honest. F.e. I prefer The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway to Selling England By the Pound or Foxtrot, Aqualung to Thick as a Brick, The Dark Side of the Moon to Wish You Were Here, early Mothers to Zappa's 70's output and so on (I know Hot Rats is from 1969).

Also, I miss several albums by f.e David Bowie, Brian Eno, Kraftwerk, Can, Faust, Talking Heads and Roxy Music. Personal album favourites like Tubular Bells, A Salty Dog and Days of Future Passed are also missing.

Your preference is as valid as anyone else's. There is no definitive list.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>