Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 Deep Purple Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 Deep Purple Songs
    Posted: June 03 2020 at 08:19

There've been many SHADES OF DEEP PURPLE over the years with various line-up changes along the way that reads like THE BOOK OF TALIESYN. DEEP PURPLE are almost as enduring as the U.S. Presidents engraved IN ROCK on Mount Rushmore. Their storming brand of Hard Rock has all the fiery energy of a FIREBALL and the tempered steel hardness of a MACHINE HEAD. The band asked "WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE?" as they prepared to BURN up the world stage with their thunderous live act of STORMBRINGER songs. Crowds flocked in their thousands to COME TASTE THE BAND live. Fans of Deep Purple who began as PERFECT STRANGERS became lifelong friends as they watched the band perform together in THE HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT. THE BATTLE RAGES ON to determine the best British Rock band of all time, with Deep Purple being PURPENDICULAR to Led Zeppelin in the vast pantheon of Rock. There's nothing quite as thrilling as seeing A-BAND-ON a crazy world tour, no matter whether they're going  BANANAS in Brazil or Nuts in the Netherlands. For anyone lucky enough to have experienced the RAPTURE OF THE DEEP Purple Live, they may wonder NOW WHAT can possibly better that in the INFINITE universe of Hard Rock!?

All albums in PURPLE highlights by Deep Purple Smile

Here's your chance to help determine the Top 5 Deep Purple songs of all time. Simply list your Top 5 Deep Purple songs in order of preference and then I'll assign points to your listings as follows:-

1st song - 6 points
2nd song - 4 points
3rd song - 3 points
4th song- 2 points
5th song - 1 point

Here are my Top 5 Deep Purple songs to get the poll underway:-

1. Smoke on the Water (6 points)
2. Child in Time (4 points)
3. Perfect Strangers (3 points)
4. Knocking at Your Back Door (2 points)
5. Black Night (1 point)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 03 2020 at 08:20
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:22
1. Highway Star
2. Perfect Strangers
3. Back to Back
4. Time for Bedlam
5. Maybe I'm a Leo
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 10:59
I'll go for their real st§uff (not covers or stolen songs)

3. And the Address
4. Hard Road (Wring That Neck)
5. The Shield
6. Chasing Shadows
2. April
1. Fault Line- Painter

Bubbling under:
Speed King (the full thing, not the truncated US version)
Child In Time
Pictures of Home
Lazy
Burn
Sail Away
A200
You Fool No-One (live)
Soldier Of Fortune

Edited by Sean Trane - June 03 2020 at 11:01
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 11:36
Not a huge DP fan but I do like some stuff:

1.Lazy
2. Highway Star
3. Burn
4. Space Truckin
5. Perfect Strangers
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:00
5 songs from a 50 years career is very hard to choose

Anthem
Highway Star
Burn
The Gypsy
Stormbringer
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:04
I'm surprised no one other than me has voted for Smoke on the Water amongst their Top 5 songs so far, but then again, I'm constantly surprised here. Smile
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 12:14
1 Child in Time
2 Fireball
3 Speed King
4 Highway Star
5 Burn

I am rather tired of Smoke on the Water, but it is a great song. It's just been overplayed, especially in schools...

Edited by The Anders - June 03 2020 at 12:14
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 16:32
Mandrake Root
Shield
Hard Loving Man
Rat Bat Blue
Burn
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 16:39
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'll go for their real st§uff (not covers or stolen songs)

3. And the Address
4. Hard Road (Wring That Neck)
5. The Shield
6. Chasing Shadows
2. April
1. Fault Line- Painter

Are you trying to confuse me by listing your Top 5 in random order? Wink

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 17:33
Burn
Highway Star
Lazy 
Space Truckin'
Woman From Tokyo

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 03:00
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm surprised no one other than me has voted for Smoke on the Water amongst their Top 5 songs so far, but then again, I'm constantly surprised here. Smile

How many Deep Purple albums have you listened to in their entirety?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 03:56
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

None, apart from "The Book of Taliesyn", but I guess you knew that already. Tongue I have a couple of Deep Purple compilation albums though. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 03:58

None, apart from "The Book of Taliesyn", but I guess you knew that already. Tongue I have a couple of Deep Purple compilation albums though. Smile

that explains it...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 04:14

that explains it...

That's one of the reasons why I created this Top 5 poll, then I might discover some lesser-known Deep Purple songs I hadn't previously heard of. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 04:18

that explains it...

That's one of the reasons why I created this Top 5 poll, then I might discover some lesser-known Deep Purple songs I hadn't previously heard of. Smile

like I said, a top 5 DP is hard to make, considering they released 20 something albums.
I hope you discover some songs, I also hope you start exploring their discography, every decade has some great stuff if you ask me. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 04:31
^^ I'm planning to listen to ALL of Deep Purple's albums when I eventually get around to rating them. I'm gradually working my way through the alphabet for British album ratings and at the moment I'm on the letter "H" for Steve Hackett. Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 04:42
PP, if you've heard Taliesin and liked it, than Shades Of and their third s/t are the way you should go first , because they're the prime reasons why Purple is on ProgArchives. Indeed, those years with Simper & Evans (usually refered to as MkI) are their proggier works.

I suggest that for the MkII line-up (Gillan & Glover), you can first check out the live Made In Japan or the studio In Rock

For the Mk III line-up, (Coverdale & Hughes), the live Made In Europe will be a good introduction to that era
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 04:55
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

PP, if you've heard Taliesin and liked it, than Shades Of and their third s/t are the way you should go first , because they're the prime reasons why Purple is on ProgArchives. Indeed, those years with Simper & Evans (usually refered to as MkI) are their proggier works.

I suggest that for the MkII line-up (Gillan & Glover), you can first check out the live Made In Japan or the studio In Rock

For the Mk III line-up, (Coverdale & Hughes), the live Made In Europe will be a good introduction to that era
Thanks! I like all three Deep Purple line-ups, and it's the first line-up that appeals to me most of all. The Shades of Deep Purple album and the self-titled third album are top of my list to acquire next. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 05:10
There's a lot I haven't heard, pretty much anything since Come Taste The Band,
My Top 5 would probably be -

1) Highway Star
2) Woman From Tokyo
3) You Fool Noone
4) Child In Time
5) Getting Tighter
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 06:53
1. Child In Time
2. Fools
3. Rat Bat Blue
4. Mistreated
5. Not Responsible
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>