Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '78 studio albums by acts w/ a 70 or earlier debut
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'78 studio albums by acts w/ a 70 or earlier debut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Please choose an album of these that you like if you like any of them.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.69%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [6.78%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [6.78%]
7 [11.86%]
1 [1.69%]
3 [5.08%]
14 [23.73%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [6.78%]
1 [1.69%]
7 [11.86%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.08%]
4 [6.78%]
2 [3.39%]
2 [3.39%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '78 studio albums by acts w/ a 70 or earlier debut
    Posted: July 06 2020 at 21:17
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Passpartù by PFM is pretty cool but the question is.... does the self titled I Quelli album count as PFM's debut?

I wouldn’t. PA lists the I Quelli album as pre-PFM in the PFM discography, but also notes that PFM formed in 1970. I don’t think of it as a PFM album despite the personnel relation and would sooner think it suitable for PA in Proto Prog under it’s own listing, or as Prog Related, rather than having it in the discography. I don’t mind that, it could be an album of interest to those interested in PFM, and they might not want to give it its own listing (it is also more work and more hoops to jump through adding the act itself).   PFM really got going after I Quelli members got together with Mauro Pagani from Dalton.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 10:07
Tull by a long ways  .... 
not really a fan of any of the others

I guess TD's Cyclone would be next
Prog On!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:11
Passpartù by PFM is pretty cool but the question is.... does the self titled I Quelli album count as PFM's debut?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 06:22
^ No worries, such polls are more for fun, and the challenge, than anything, but it's also about discovery, and if someone discovers and likes that Sfinx album due to your post, job well done! I'd like to see that album get more recognition. I rarely mind tangents in my topics, and care more about the comments and conversation than the poll results. And I don't treat such stuff as contests. I'm glad you mentioned it since that album doesn't get a huge amount of recognition.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 05:51
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ I like and have that album in my collection (listed as 1979 at some sites like PA,but 1978 in the Sinx bio, and Discogs, and 1978 at others -- it had at least been recorded by 1978). I wouldn't have included it, though, because, Sfinx studio debut album came later than 1970 according to my research -- Lume Alba was released in 1975. The band was formed in the 60s I read.

They started releasing singles in the early 70s. There weren't that many full length albums being released those days, not even the 70s. It was even worse in the 80s. So beside those two 70s albums and one album in the 80s, Sfinx released some singles, participated in whatever split albums Electrecord was doing (compilations), even did a song for a movie soundtrack. 

Sure, and I'm happy for other 1978 albums that don't meet the criteria as set out in my first post to be mentioned, but I just wanted to mention, as I told Dopeydoc a few posts up, that "other" in the poll is intended for acts that not only released a studio album in 1978, but also had released a studio album no later than 1970. I and others have done other 1978 album polls, but I wanted to set further limits on what would be applicable for this topic.

I guess it might help if people mention the year of the acts earliest studio album release as well as the 1978 release if not in my poll (all of those I listed in the poll have a studio release from 1970 and/or earlier). Dunno know why I'm interested in that, but mostly it's just to do it differently from other 1978 album polls. Oh and it did help me to limit my selection of choices (I wanted to limit the "other" choices further). 1970 has some significance to me.

ok, my mistake then. Embarrassed
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 05:46
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ I like and have that album in my collection (listed as 1979 at some sites like PA,but 1978 in the Sinx bio, and Discogs, and 1978 at others -- it had at least been recorded by 1978). I wouldn't have included it, though, because, Sfinx studio debut album came later than 1970 according to my research -- Lume Alba was released in 1975. The band was formed in the 60s I read.

They started releasing singles in the early 70s. There weren't that many full length albums being released those days, not even the 70s. It was even worse in the 80s. So beside those two 70s albums and one album in the 80s, Sfinx released some singles, participated in whatever split albums Electrecord was doing (compilations), even did a song for a movie soundtrack. 

Sure, and I'm happy for other 1978 albums that don't meet the criteria as set out in my first post to be mentioned, but I just wanted to mention, as I told Dopeydoc a few posts up, that "other" in the poll is intended for acts that not only released a studio album in 1978, but also had released a studio album no later than 1970. I and others have done other 1978 album polls, but I wanted to set further limits on what would be applicable for this topic.

I guess it might help if people mention the year of the acts earliest studio album release as well as the 1978 release if not in my poll (all of those I listed in the poll have a studio release from 1970 and/or earlier). Dunno know why I'm interested in that, but mostly it's just to do it differently from other 1978 album polls. Oh and it did help me to limit my selection of choices (I wanted to limit the "other" choices further). 1970 has some significance to me.

Edited by Logan - July 06 2020 at 05:48
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 05:12

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 04:42
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 02:37
I voted other because it's a tough choice poll Big smile

One of my favorite albums of 1978 is Sfinx - Zalmoxe. So here is a song from it. Tongue

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 02:32
Yes - Tormato
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 01:34
Jethro Tull takes this easily imo, but Frank Zappa and Jean-Luc Ponty had very nice releases that year as well.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 23:26
Heavy Horses. Shiny Beast is really good also, but not as great as Doc at the Radar (absolutely it would win A from same year).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 14:21
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

None of these. I prefer UK (UK), Steve Hackett (please don't touch) or Ange (Guet-apens)

I only intended "other" for ones that already had released a studio album no later than 1970.

None of those had released its first studio album by 1970 according to my research. Ange, which I really like as well, was formed in 1969, but didn't release Caricatures unti1 1972. UK was formed in 1977 and that 1978 UK album was its debut. Steve Hackett's "solo" debut didn't come out until 1975.

There are many albums I love from 1978 in Prog categories, but not many of those artists/bands had released their first studio album no later than the year 1970. I deliberately set-out to limit the relevant entries (the criteria as laid out in my first post). If there were based on albums I like in PA from 1978, then the listing would be quite different.

Some of my favourites from that year that don't fit the criteria:

Andre Fertier's Clivage - Mixtus Orbis
Klaus Schulze - X
Bubu - Anabelas
National Health - Of Queues and Cures
Widorje - Weidorje
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
The Residents - Not Available and Duck Stab / Buster & Glen
Area - 1978 - Gli Dei Se Ne Vanno, Gli Arrabbiati Restano!
Conrad Schnitzler - Ballet Statique
Carol of Harvest - Carol of Harvest
Eden - Erwartung
etc.

Were it open to any Prog Category studio album from 1978, then I'd go with Mixtus Orbis and the Bubu is terrific.

Edited by Logan - July 05 2020 at 14:24
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 13:26
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

great year but anytime A Song for all Seasons is on a list it wins

I'm glad Renaissance was included in the poll, because that's who I voted for too. Thumbs Up
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 12:58
None of these. I prefer UK (UK), Steve Hackett (please don't touch) or Ange (Guet-apens)
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 09:23
Perhaps no masterpiece here (but I never listened to some of these albums).

Chosen Breathless but undecided with it and Magma.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 07:49
Not heard all of these albums, but was listening to Heavy Horses only the other day. Great album and got my vote.
Songs cast a light on you
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 07:22
I understand the hate/indifference to Tormato, and I don't know why, but I have a bizarre love for that entire album. 

Heavy Horses came close though..

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 23:15
Jethro Tull
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 08:41
Jethro Tull and Gentle Giant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>