Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jon Lord: Lord of the Keys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 15:33
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^Hey, better late than never. ;)

Thanks! Thumbs Up At least I made up for it today with my YES albums intro for the "Drama" album. Wink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 04:06
Boom of the Tingling Strings (2008) - The Album

Boom of the Tingling Strings (2003) - The Concert

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 08:10
The final album.....

Concerto for Group and Orchestra (2012) = The Album

Concerto for Group and Orchestra (2012) = The Documentary

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 20 2020 at 15:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 11:08
Deep Purple - Concerto for Group & Orchestra Live at the Royal Albert Hall (1969)

Deep Purple in Concert with the London Symphony Orchestra (1999)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 18 2020 at 11:14
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 20:00
One of the best keyboard players in rock music, and a great composer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 09:26
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Paul, I'm disappointed. You didn't do your usual clever thing in the intro this time. Oh well. ;)
I have now. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 09:39
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

That was incredible! Thanks for posting. Thumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 07:25
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Paice Ashton Lord are an interesting band, I think they only made 1 album but it's worth a listen in a rocky funky kind of way. I saw them at Hammersmith Odeon when Tony Ashton fell off the stage on the way to his keyboard and played the whole gig in pain.

I just picked up a copy of their album and the booklet says this was their last show and Ashton actually broke his leg when he fell off the stage, no wonder he looked in pain!

Edited by chopper - July 20 2020 at 07:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:55

Paice Ashton Lord are an interesting band, I think they only made 1 album but it's worth a listen in a rocky funky kind of way. I saw them at Hammersmith Odeon when Tony Ashton fell off the stage on the way to his keyboard and played the whole gig in pain.

I just picked up a copy of their album and the booklet says this was their last show and Ashton actually broke his leg when he fell off the stage, no wonder he looked in pain!
When actors and musicians are bizarrely told to "break a leg" before a performance to wish them "good luck" in an ironic way, it's very rarely taken quite so literally. Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 28 2020 at 16:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 13:59

Jon Lord's Albums

3 stars 2003: Live at the Basement (with the Hoochie Coochie Men) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCO6E8k_ZK-Nfj1mEy6P2Cz
 3 stars 2007: Danger: White Men Dancing (with the Hoochie Coochie Men) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDu3ManQKNYN76AmCQXsvxw

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2022 at 08:33
Before I Forget, here's a list of albums that Jon Lord appeared on with Deep Purple.....

4 stars 1969: Deep Purple - Concerto for Group & Orchestra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnA1IMnLZr4
 5 stars 1972: Deep Purple - Made in Japan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFdqiPfhmg
 4 stars 1974: Deep Purple - California Jam - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQDQ-DYKts
 4 stars 1985: Deep Purple - Live in Paris - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwdJvGcPXQI&t=2249s
 4 stars 1994: Deep Purple - Come Hell or High Water - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH1k9Qhl1K5-r_OqY7QrHmdHfT-koOOSW
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2022 at 20:46
It's interesting that Jon Lord participated in a live performance of David Bedford's The Odyssey. Jon Lord on synthesizer along with Mike Ratledge, Dave Lawson, Mike Oldfield and several others performing the music of The Odyssey at the Royal Albert Hall in 1977.

I have this on cd .The tape has a few drop outs however its a very good listen. This was a special event...but if you are not a fan of David Bedford it may seem irrelevant and boring. I think it's a timeless performance and it's interesting how Jon Lord invested time into the project...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2023 at 13:10
Doing it all for charidee:- - Five legendary names In Rock - Jon Lord, Ian Gillan, Brian May, Tony iommi & Nick McBrain - get together in the studio to raise money for the victims of the 1998 Armenian earthquake. Who Cares?

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 13 2023 at 13:10
Matsan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 13:53
Amazing musicians all of them!
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 17:19
Great stuff !!
Thanks
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 11:46
I'm a massive fan of his early solo work, particularly 'Gemini Suite' and 'Sarabande'.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 13:54
To me the Gemini Suite is like a suite of 6 mini-concertos, as each one features a different solo instrument (or voice), and as a project is a logical progression from the Concerto for Group and Orchestra.

In my digital music collection I actually file Jon Lord's solo career under 'Classical Crossover'.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 14:04
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

To me the Gemini Suite is like a suite of 6 mini-concertos, as each one features a different solo instrument (or voice), and as a project is a logical progression from the Concerto for Group and Orchestra.

In my digital music collection I actually file Jon Lord's solo career under 'Classical Crossover'.

I haven't yet managed to acquire any Jon Lord CD's, but he's filed under Symphonic Prog in my Prog Britannia blog. Smile

Classical Crossover sounds just as applicable though. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 21 2023 at 14:06
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 15:32
My Classical Crossover category is a bit of a mixed bag as it is also where the likes of Sky and Vanessa-Mae reside in my collection.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 16:58
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

My Classical Crossover category is a bit of a mixed bag as it is also where the likes of Sky and Vanessa-Mae reside in my collection.

Sky and Vanessa-Mae are in my Classical  Crossover collection too, although they're both outnumbered by Sarah Brightman CD's. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>