Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-symphonic prog epics (20 mins) !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Mickey is taking the piss by defining CTTE as a pop song....

nah.. just pissing on those who don't know a thing about music...

What everyone seems to forget about Yes.. were they were fans of pop music and HIGHLY influenced BY pop music. The stated goal of the group was to merge ..not classical with rock.. but high powered instrumental ability with the catchiness and hooks of pop music. Close to the Edge is nothing more earthshaking than possibly the world's first..hell maybe only 19 minute long pop song. Complete with the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/middle8/instrumental-break/verse/chorus/outro pop song structure. 
While everyone went on thinking that standard popular song formats would only support 2 or 3 minute long songs.. Yes showed that the standard pop format could support complex and sustained melodies. The trick of it again.. to pull it off it had to be all about quality. Otherwise.. you would have to aural equivilant of having 19 minutes of 'My Heart Will Go On: Love Theme from Titanic' pumped into your brain. Even with the kick ass rickenbacker.. I suspect that would not be enough to hold on to many listeners.

CTTE is my favorite prog recording of all time, and I don't disagree at all with this.

CTTE is so obviously not a 'pop song' its ridiculous. My god it has melody and perhaps some hummable sections so it must be pop. I also hereby disqualify Suppers Ready and Karn Evil 9. If you can listen to it without getting a headache then it can't be prog obviously. (ok ELP may give you a headache anywayLOL)

CTTE most certainly features a foundation in pop music. You seem to have some personal vendetta, as evidenced by "disqualifying" two other albums.

By your own standards and logic Trout Mask Replica and Gorguts Obscura are the two greatest pieces of progressive rock music released, no contest, since they are the most dense, dissonant, and anti-danceable, migraine-inducing sh*t you will ever hear come out of a speaker.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - July 28 2020 at 04:56

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 05:10
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

By your own standards and logic Trout Mask Replica and Gorguts Obscura are the two greatest pieces of progressive rock music released, no contest, since they are the most dense, dissonant, and anti-danceable, migraine-inducing sh*t you will ever hear come out of a speaker.
I think there are a few musical perverts here who would make a case for those albums being quite high in the pantheon. Not sure that richardh is one of them, though.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 03:22
Smak - "Put od balona" (1975)

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 03:46
Bosque - "Four Noble Truths" (2015)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234