Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bands that could have been successful, but weren't
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands that could have been successful, but weren't

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:24
^ Word.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:52
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

If we want to venture into prog-related, the fact that Kings X never broke big is a damn shame. 

totally agree, also Living Colour should have been much bigger as well. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

If we want to venture into prog-related, the fact that Kings X never broke big is a damn shame. 

Living Colour's first album went double platinum. How big do you want them? Lol.

In that case I think Yes, King Crimson and Rush should have been as big as Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 24 2020 at 10:06
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:10
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Living Colour's first album went double platinum. How big do you want them? Lol.

In that case I think Yes, King Crimson and Rush should have been as big as Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Living Colour released several albums, some great music if you ask me, not just one album...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:28

Living Colour released several albums, some great music if you ask me, not just one album...

I know. I was referring to their first album which was their biggest. The second one(times up)went gold. I actually don't know the later albums. The last one I heard was stain which was a bit of a let down from the first two.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:35
King's X and Living Colour.  Love those bands.  I just listened to my King's X discography last week.  I've always loved their first 4 albums.  They should definitely have been bigger.  I realized last week that their albums after the first 4 are all pretty darn good too.  Living Colour hit it out of the park with Cult of Personality, but never really reached those heights again, but certainly released some really good albums afterwards.  
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:43
I've always been surprised Asia never really were successful (after their debut, of course).
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:49
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

I've always been surprised Asia never really were successful (after their debut, of course).

I guess it was just the heat of the moment.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:19

The second album "alpha" went platinum but after that just the compilation, "then and now", was certified gold and nothing else. Only the first two were that big especially the first which sold more than any Yes album. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 24 2020 at 12:23
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I've always thought that The Rolling Stones could have become more popular if they had released a few more albums. I just don't think the music-buying public got an idea of who the band really was after only releasing 30 studio albums, 28 live albums and 26 compilation albums.

I've always thought that the Beatles could have been more popular than Jesus had they lived about 2000 years ago, been crucified, sealed in a cave, and then an angelic Brian Epstein appeared before a groupie outside the tomb and told her that she should tell everyone to pre-order tickets for a Beatles Revival concert cause, praise God, they are getting better, better all the time -- so they had better be ready for this, the ultimate come-back concert. The faithful are still waiting, but think the concert is imminent.

The Beatles are overrated. Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:43

If we want to venture into prog-related, the fact that Kings X never broke big is a damn shame. 

Indeed. King's X had a row of killer albums up through Ear Candy (at a minimum). 

The year Dogman arrived and KX got the spot opening for Scorpions on their American tour was supposed to be their best shot.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 23:58
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I've always thought that The Rolling Stones could have become more popular if they had released a few more albums. I just don't think the music-buying public got an idea of who the band really was after only releasing 30 studio albums, 28 live albums and 26 compilation albums.

I've always thought that the Beatles could have been more popular than Jesus had they lived about 2000 years ago, been crucified, sealed in a cave, and then an angelic Brian Epstein appeared before a groupie outside the tomb and told her that she should tell everyone to pre-order tickets for a Beatles Revival concert cause, praise God, they are getting better, better all the time -- so they had better be ready for this, the ultimate come-back concert. The faithful are still waiting, but think the concert is imminent.

The Beatles are overrated. Big smile
I guess this all is just a joke, but anyway as a big Stones fan I have hated that opinion Stones havenīt made any great albums after Tattoo You. And I believe many peopleīs saying that opinion not even heard any after "Tattoo You" albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 00:40

If we want to venture into prog-related, the fact that Kings X never broke big is a damn shame. 

Indeed. King's X had a row of killer albums up through Ear Candy (at a minimum). 

The year Dogman arrived and KX got the spot opening for Scorpions on their American tour was supposed to be their best shot.

You know it's weird. Many times radio is the key to success with bands but not always. Rush, Iron Maiden and Metallica all became pretty big even before they were played much on the radio. I think in the case of King's X though it would have helped them out a lot. As it is they still have a decent sized cult following but I agree they probably should have been much bigger. I saw them in concert sometime in the last decade and they were very good.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 25 2020 at 00:40
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 01:44

You know it's weird. Many times radio is the key to success with bands but not always. Rush, Iron Maiden and Metallica all became pretty big even before they were played much on the radio. I think in the case of King's X though it would have helped them out a lot. As it is they still have a decent sized cult following but I agree they probably should have been much bigger. I saw them in concert sometime in the last decade and they were very good.

Hi,

RUSH was on the playlist for several folks at the station ... it was not as well known then, but some folks, including my room mates in the band, we already were listening to it ... (lived in a house with a band) ... but this was like '81 and '82 already ... when FM still had strength, but it made RUSH much bigger ... Iron Maid and Metallica, from what I remember (and I fell out of it in 1983 for work) came in much later as a part of the MTV thing ... specially Metallica ... by that time FM radio was already on the way down as a maker of "hit" materials, and was changing to a "classic" format and the better known bands they helped make.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 02:23
Someone mentioned Asia....I think that the GTR "supergroup" also sputtered out quickly, after much initial fanfare.  I guess there was quite a bit of tension between Howe and Hackett.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 05:13
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

RUSH was on the playlist for several folks at the station ... it was not as well known then, but some folks, including my room mates in the band, we already were listening to it ... (lived in a house with a band) ... but this was like '81 and '82 already ... when FM still had strength, but it made RUSH much bigger ... Iron Maid and Metallica, from what I remember (and I fell out of it in 1983 for work) came in much later as a part of the MTV thing ... specially Metallica ... by that time FM radio was already on the way down as a maker of "hit" materials, and was changing to a "classic" format and the better known bands they helped make.
Rush has never been very popular in the UK, which is interesting. I think this is partly because the record company they ended up with was quite America based - for instance, for Moving Pictures, it only chose one single for the UK, Vital Signs. If they had released Tom Sawyer and Limelight there I think they could have done better - a live version of Tom Sawyer hit number 25 in Britain, which is pretty good for a song already released on an album only a few months earlier.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 05:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Someone mentioned Asia....I think that the GTR "supergroup" also sputtered out quickly, after much initial fanfare.  I guess there was quite a bit of tension between Howe and Hackett.
And the critics hated them.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 11:52

The GTR album wasn't that good, anyway. Definitely a miss.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 16:28

The GTR album wasn't that good, anyway. Definitely a miss.

My feeling exactly, but they sure had a lot of initial hype!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 17:22

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Rush has never been very popular in the UK, which is interesting. I think this is partly because the record company they ended up with was quite America based - for instance, for Moving Pictures, it only chose one single for the UK, Vital Signs. If they had released Tom Sawyer and Limelight there I think they could have done better - a live version of Tom Sawyer hit number 25 in Britain, which is pretty good for a song already released on an album only a few months earlier.

Rush sold out three nights in a 60,000 seat venue in the UK in around 77/78 so not sure where you got that from. I can give you the exact details if you want since it's in a book I have. Also, AFTK, Hemispheres and PeW charted higher in the UK than in the US. From what I understand Rush were very popular among those who were into the NWHBHM(new wave of British Heavy Metal)even though they obviously weren't part of that directly. Up until Counterparts Rush were as big in the UK as in the US. Look at the wikipedia allbum charts and you'll see what I mean. These days and the past 25 years maybe not so much but you said "never very popular in the UK" which is simply not true. The band who apparently were never very popular in the UK from what I understand was Gentle Giant. Even that might have been an exagerration. Not sure.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 25 2020 at 17:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>