Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jethro Tull vs Rush TOP 6 Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which album collection do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
35 [46.67%]
40 [53.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 08:17
Don't make me choose!!!

OK, then, RUUUUUSSSSSSHHHHH!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 09:04
It's very difficult to choose. So, I cannot vote on this poll.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 09:32
Tull.  At their best they had an emotional depth, nuance and true originality, and importantly at their core they have one thing Rush lack - a great songwriter.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:04
Making it even again: Rush !
Only Permanent Waves is an album that never truly convinced me but the others are great albums that I listen to regularly.
With Tull, only Thick as a Brick convinced me (very much), but the others much less.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 13:01
Rush. Both bands have released two albums of surpassing excellence, but the difference is in the category just below.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:45
Only Aqualung blows my mind, IMO the best material JTull produced. But nowhere near comes close to that string of Rush albums. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Only Aqualung blows my mind, IMO the best material JTull produced. But nowhere near comes close to that string of Rush albums. 

I voted for Rush also. However, have you ever heard thick as a brick? To me that's a pretty mind bending album and probably my favorite Tull record.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:19
Remove Stand Up and add Stormwatch and it will be a much closer race. Wink

Signed,

A long-time Rush fanboy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I voted for Rush also. However, have you ever heard thick as a brick? To me that's a pretty mind bending album and probably my favorite Tull record.

I have not......I'll put it on my Christmas list Big smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:04
No surprises on where my vote went.  When it comes to Jethro Tull, I am more of a greatest hits man.  The stuff that made the radio is the stuff that I most have a history with and most like.  There are some hidden gems scattered throughout their discography but I just don't have the history or connection with those songs that I have with their hits.  I love the 3 minute single version of Thick as a Brick, but rarely feel the desire to listen to the whole album.  I have listened to A Passion Play a couple of time but aside from some interesting parts it didn't really grab me either.  
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:56

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I have not......I'll put it on my Christmas list Big smile

Wow, no offense but that's rather surprising especially since it's been on the top five on here for as long as I can remember. A real masterpiece imo. Of course not everyone will agree but not everyone agrees on any of the top albums on here. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 18:23
Tull........; I do like those classic Rush albums but the songwriting by Anderson and Tull eclipses Rush , but I would rather see Benefit on that list than Horses.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 18:52
Jethro Tull easily.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 23:13
Congratulations on devising a poll which is unchoosable. 
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 23:40
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Remove Stand Up and add Stormwatch and it will be a much closer race. Wink

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Tull........; I do like those classic Rush albums but the songwriting by Anderson and Tull eclipses Rush , but I would rather see Benefit on that list than Horses.

The thing with Tull is that we have 4-5 albums most people regard as "Tier 1" (Superelite) and then a plethora of "Tier 2" LPs, very similar level when it comes to songwriting, hooks, arrangements etc. Instead of Stand Up or Minstrel in the Gallery we could easily have: Benefit, Living in the Past, A Passion Play (!), War Child or Stormwatch... and I don't even touch 80s/90s material (there is a lot of Crest, Branches or Broadsword fans out there).

So I went with average ratings according to PA, although differences between #4 and #8 are miniscule.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 01:34
JT.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 04:32
Rush, subtract signals and add Caress of Steel....much better than the folk prog outfit...2112 start is better than anything tull did...
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:25
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

2112 start is better than anything tull did...

nah
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:52
Being a huge Rush fan, of course I voted for them but that's a real sweet spot for JT. I really like almost all of that era.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:12
tough choice

but

Rush this time
Prog On!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>