Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jethro Tull vs Rush TOP 6 Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which album collection do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
35 [46.67%]
40 [53.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:39
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Remove Stand Up and add Stormwatch and it will be a much closer race. Wink

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Tull........; I do like those classic Rush albums but the songwriting by Anderson and Tull eclipses Rush , but I would rather see Benefit on that list than Horses.

The thing with Tull is that we have 4-5 albums most people regard as "Tier 1" (Superelite) and then a plethora of "Tier 2" LPs, very similar level when it comes to songwriting, hooks, arrangements etc. Instead of Stand Up or Minstrel in the Gallery we could easily have: Benefit, Living in the Past, A Passion Play (!), War Child or Stormwatch... and I don't even touch 80s/90s material (there is a lot of Crest, Branches or Broadsword fans out there).

So I went with average ratings according to PA, although differences between #4 and #8 are miniscule.

Nah, not Benefit – that's early early Tull.

Living in the Past is not a studio album, it's a pre-TAAB compilation.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:47
Rush!
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:08
24 to 24 at the moment. Isn't that amazing ?
And that when everybody knows that Rush is much better than Tull. You see how polls can be a distortion of reality. Nuke

Big smile

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:11
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

And that when everybody knows that Rush is much better than Tull. You see how polls can be a distortion of reality. Nuke

Big smile
What!! How Rush is much better than Jethro (I really havenīt "known" that)? Or are you just joking?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:16
Joking? Me? No, never... Ermm

Just provoking, a little, little bit, maybe...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:20
Well, have to say that mostly Rush is just rubbish after Power Windows (well Presto was ok), but Jethro has never done totally bad album. And I am not provoking, thatīs my opinion.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:59
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Well, have to say that mostly Rush is just rubbish after Power Windows (well Presto was ok), but Jethro has never done totally bad album. And I am not provoking, thatīs my opinion.

Both Rush and Tull have released inconsistent/subpar albums, e.g. Snakes & Arrows and Rock Island, respectively.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 14:00
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Big smile

It's possible to like both bands, you know... Wink
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 23:36

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Both Rush and Tull have released inconsistent/subpar albums, e.g. Snakes & Arrows and Rock Island, respectively.
Well, I like Rock Island much more than Snakes & Arrows. For example title song, "the Whalerīs Dues" & "Big Riff & Mando" rises almost their greatest stuff level. In Snakes & Arrows there is really good playing and great sounds, but no songs I remember at the moment (well remember that catchy starting of first piece). As many other also thinks, "Underwraps" is the weakest Jethro album, but even that is better than Rush weak albums and lot better than itīs reputation. There are good songs, but eighties production again is the one that makes album little weak.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 03:01
Rush by far.
Out of all Tull albums I'm a fan of only Thick as a Brick.

thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 09:13

Remove Stand Up and add Stormwatch and it will be a much closer race. Wink

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Tull........; I do like those classic Rush albums but the songwriting by Anderson and Tull eclipses Rush , but I would rather see Benefit on that list than Horses.

The thing with Tull is that we have 4-5 albums most people regard as "Tier 1" (Superelite) and then a plethora of "Tier 2" LPs, very similar level when it comes to songwriting, hooks, arrangements etc. Instead of Stand Up or Minstrel in the Gallery we could easily have: Benefit, Living in the Past, A Passion Play (!), War Child or Stormwatch... and I don't even touch 80s/90s material (there is a lot of Crest, Branches or Broadsword fans out there).

So I went with average ratings according to PA, although differences between #4 and #8 are miniscule.

Nah, not Benefit – that's early early Tull.

Living in the Past is not a studio album, it's a pre-TAAB compilation.

Living in the Past deserves mention as a "studio album", considering that most of it is singles/EP material. 
Benefit is basically as good as Stand Up so another deserving album.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 13:24

Living in the Past deserves mention as a "studio album", considering that most of it is singles/EP material.

Which is why it's a compilation album, i.e. it consists of material recorded ca. 1968-71. It's not a "studio album" that occurs between Aqualung and TAAB.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 13:37

Which is why it's a compilation album, i.e. it consists of material recorded ca. 1968-71. It's not a "studio album" that occurs between Aqualung and TAAB.

In context, except for a few stray songs LitP was a new album in 1972 in the U.S. and Canada because none of the material had been released in North America. So for me, personally, much of the material was unreleased gems.

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 25 2020 at 13:37
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 14:04
"Unreleased" gems, sure — recorded at different times (and at least one re-recorded song, and bonus live material on the 2CD remaster). Still not the definition of studio album as it is used in these parts.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 14:19

"Unreleased" gems, sure — recorded at different times (and at least one re-recorded song, and bonus live material on the 2CD remaster). Still not the definition of studio album as it is used in these parts.

Since there was nothing on the original release album (which I have) that indicates anything about a release date, I would suggest that a 12 year old (which I was) in 1972 would consider the whole thing fresh and new. You are correct, but as I said, context.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 15:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

In context, except for a few stray songs LitP was a new album in 1972 in the U.S. and Canada because none of the material had been released in North America. So for me, personally, much of the material was unreleased gems.

This.

So, it's not a Studio Album the way TAAB or Aqualung is, but it's still a collection of "new songs" for a considerable group of fans back then. Heck, it was for me too, that's why I lump it together with proper studio albums in my mind.

In any case, when it comes to comparisons, it's still 15+ good songs that make Jethro Tull's output even more impressive, and that was the sole point of my comment - to highlight how vast their 70s catalogue really was, and LITP could stand its own vs plenty of quality albums.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 15:34
Tull quite easily.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 15:48
Wow this is close. Not sure I can pick. I guess I’ll pick Rush.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 01:16
Rush were one of the most consistent bands in rock history. The idea that they turned out 'mostly rubbish' after Power Windows is complete nonsense. Vapor Trails and Counterparts kick ass (admittedly more hard rock in style but still great) and they carried on making decent albums right to the end.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 02:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Rush were one of the most consistent bands in rock history. The idea that they turned out 'mostly rubbish' after Power Windows is complete nonsense. Vapor Trails and Counterparts kick ass (admittedly more hard rock in style but still great) and they carried on making decent albums right to the end.
Well, I think itīs a matter of different music tastes. I believe you are not enjoying later Jethro albums as I do. There are good playing in every Rush-album, but I just think they lost the ability to make interesting songs already in "Grace Under Pressure" (Distant Early Warning is great exception), I like "Power Windows" and "Presto" just nostalgic reasons. Have to say "Roll the Bones" song is the most horrible thing they have ever done!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>