Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mostly Autumn: The New Pink Floyd?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 06:17
It may be Springtime here in England, but it's still Mostly Autumn in the southern hemisphere, and on that note, here's Mostly Autumn's Complete Discography (mostly), apart from one or two missing bootleg albums. Smile

5 stars 2001: Music Inspired by The Lord of the Rings - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdktF-lL0yEbyF28C2EYG0kHXkFh6grhA

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 07:16
Hmmm...5 stars on all of them..?  Stern Smile
I looked them up here ,13 lp's,  and only the newest one managed to barely get 4 stars by the PA ratings...I can't say  I own a single one ,but playing some of the clips I find them pleasant. 

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 07:32
ZZZZZZZZZ.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 07:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Hmmm...5 stars on all of them..?  Stern Smile
I looked them up here ,13 lp's,  and only the newest one managed to barely get 4 stars by the PA ratings...I can't say  I own a single one ,but playing some of the clips I find them pleasant. 

I knew I'd probably get criticised for giving all of Mostly Autumn's albums a full 5-star rating, but I honestly couldn't give any of their superb albums (both live & studio)  any less than the full 5-star treatment, seeing as they're my favourite band. It's hard to choose a favourite album as I love them all. There's an interesting change of direction too with their new singer (Olivia Sparrnenn), where some of their more recent albums are bordering on Progressive Metal. Thumbs Up Heart
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 07:40
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

ZZZZZZZZZ.

ZZ Top anyone? This thread has got "Legs" Smile

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 08:35
Mostly Autumn: The New Pink Floyd? 

Mostly Not. 

Good band, but please.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 08:43
^ Mostly Autumn mostly sound like Pink Floyd on their Pink Floyd Revisited album. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 08:52
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I haven't come across any prog fans so far who don't like Mostly Autumn. After all, what is there not to like when you have Heather Findlay on vocals and Bryan Josh on guitar and vocals!? Smile

Count me amongst those that don't like MA, but then you already knew that right? Gosh its bland.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 09:34
Well, they're better than Greta Van Fleet but they're no Pink Floyd.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 09:40

Well, that's three thumbs down for Mostly Autumn so far today, so it looks like I'm mostly outnumbered. Wink
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 09:43
It's a thumbs up for me. I think they are a great band.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 09:45

That's a pretty big range LOL but that sums it up pretty much. Would I turn it off if it came on? No probably not. Would I go to explore the band more based on hearing it? No probably not.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - May 11 2021 at 09:46
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 09:47
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

That evens the score at three-all then, as GeekFreak is known to be a big fan of Mostly Autumn too. I don't feel so outnumbered now. Thumbs Up
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 09:54
I think the 'Is This the new Pink Floyd?'  tag damaged their credibility a bit. And I'm inclined to blame that record company they were with at the time. Classic Rock Productions tried to push them as being Floydian. But they were more than that. I can hear influences of All About Eve, Deep Purple, Camel and Fleetwood Mac etc.  And I do like bands where the lead vocals are shared. That is reminiscent of Floyd, Queen, Gong And Fleetwood Mac.  Bryan Josh is a great songwriter and guitarist. And there is very much light and shade in their music. 
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 09:56
for a newcomer to tjhe band, I'd recommend Passengers as being their most accessible album. It's probably their most commercial sounding record as well.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 10:05

I think the 'Is This the new Pink Floyd?'  tag damaged their credibility a bit. And I'm inclined to blame that record company they were with at the time. Classic Rock Productions tried to push them as being Floydian. But they were more than that. I can hear influences of All About Eve, Deep Purple, Camel and Fleetwood Mac etc.  And I do like bands where the lead vocals are shared. That is reminiscent of Floyd, Queen, Gong And Fleetwood Mac.  Bryan Josh is a great songwriter and guitarist. And there is very much light and shade in their music. 

Light and Shade would be a great name for Mostly Autumn's next album, considering how versatile they are. 

I thought it was only me who suggested they're the new Pink Floyd. It's good to know I'm not the only one who can hear the strong resemblance across all of their albums, and not just on their Pink Floyd Revisited album. The vocals of Bryan Josh even remind me of David Gilmour at times, and Mostly Autumn have the added benefit of female vocalists too. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 11 2021 at 10:43
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 10:34
If Mostly Autumn is the new Pink Floyd then who is the old Pink Floyd? Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 10:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

If Mostly Autumn is the new Pink Floyd then who is the old Pink Floyd? Tongue

I guess the old Pink Floyd would be the Syd Barrett era. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 11:27
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

That evens the score at three-all then, as GeekFreak is known to be a big fan of Mostly Autumn too. I don't feel so outnumbered now. Thumbs Up

To be honest I've not heard loads of Mostly Autumn, I need to do some more listening. What I've heard of them is good but not 5-star, but then there is no band/artist in the world who I would give 5 stars to all their albums, not even The Beatles or Kate Bush. Nobody is that consistently good.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 11:44
Paul is positively American in all his overhyping.
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>