Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mostly Autumn: The New Pink Floyd?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 12:47
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Paul is positively American in all his overhyping.

I'll take that as a back-handed compliment, on the theory that it's better to be positively American than negatively English. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 12:50
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Paul is positively American in all his overhyping.

I'll take that as a back-handed compliment, on the theory that it's better to be positively American than negatively English. Smile

It's not a compliment, I'm a negative Englishman living in the USA. They haven't got used to "not bad" being the highest possible assessment.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 12:51
As Jim Royle might have said, 'New Pink Floyd - my arse!'.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 16:36
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

You're absolutely right! Mostly Autumn are much better than Pink Floyd. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 17:20

Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

You're absolutely right! Mostly Autumn are much better than Pink Floyd. Smile

Put the bottle down.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2021 at 23:10
Pink Floyd...they were progressive rock, correct?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 05:10

Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

I think the 'Is This the new Pink Floyd?'  tag damaged their credibility a bit. And I'm inclined to blame that record company they were with at the time. Classic Rock Productions tried to push them as being Floydian. But they were more than that. I can hear influences of All About Eve, Deep Purple, Camel and Fleetwood Mac etc.  And I do like bands where the lead vocals are shared. That is reminiscent of Floyd, Queen, Gong And Fleetwood Mac.  Bryan Josh is a great songwriter and guitarist. And there is very much light and shade in their music. 

I thought it was only me who suggested they're the new Pink Floyd. It's good to know I'm not the only one who can hear the strong resemblance across all of their albums, and not just on their Pink Floyd Revisited album. 

Yep, Classic Rock Productions really pushed that idea (granted, after Richard Wright himself namedropped Mostly Autumn on BBC Radio 2). I think I read something (can't verify authenticity) about the band not being very keen on that Pink Floyd Revisited set, and it being an imposition by the label.

Whatever comparisons they may merit or not, I really love their work up to and including Passengers. A bit downhill from there, I think. Amazing live band, too, was fortunate enough too see a 4 hour(!) set from them back in 2005.
Bigger on the inside.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 05:18
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Mostly Autumn have progressed a long way from their Prog Folk roots. They've branched out into Progressive Metal now (mostly). Smile
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 08:14

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Mostly Autumn have progressed a long way from their Prog Folk roots. They've branched out into Progressive Metal now (mostly). Smile

Progressive Metal?  Mostly Autumn?....

I only know the last few albums and they're very good indeed, but they're certainly not metal in my book.  They're more late-era Pink Floyd than metal, IMHO!

Olivia has a lovely voice, Bryan has a superb guitar sound....but not such a lovely voice!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 08:58
^ Okay, so they're not as heavy as Dream Theater on their recent albums, but they're heavier than Pink Floyd (mostly). Smile 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 09:39

^ Okay, so they're not as heavy as Dream Theater on their recent albums, but they're heavier than Pink Floyd (mostly). Smile 

Yebbut, nobbut, yebbut, nobbut....

LOL
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 13:46
Does Mostly Autumn exist mostly in autumn? What happens to them the rest of the year? And since Rush's prog credentials are up in the air, how about Mostly Autumn's? Or should I wait for that eventual argument to appear mostly in autumn?
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 14:55
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Does Mostly Autumn exist mostly in autumn? What happens to them the rest of the year? And since Rush's prog credentials are up in the air, how about Mostly Autumn's? Or should I wait for that eventual argument to appear mostly in autumn?

For anyone reading this in Australia, it already is Mostly Autumn. Tongue
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2021 at 20:00

I guess the rest of the year they go to the other hemisphere. And when it's not autumn on either hemisphere, they might be a little active anyway, since it's Mostly Autumn, not Only Autumn.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 02:07
Tend to think of them as just another female fronted band most notable for the lead singer baling on Fish (poor chap!) although I do have the Pass The Clock compilation (great value if you don't own anything by them previously) . Great guitarist and excellent singer but I find a lot of their stuff not very interesting to be honest and there is just too much of it.

In regards of female lead bands, Magenta are more important to me (Seven is a great classic and they've produced some gorgeous albums recently, especially the last couple) . Interestingly they have a Pink Floyd tribute album coming out soon so they may even 'out do' Mostly Autumn even in that regard! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 02:43
^ If you like Mostly Autumn & Magenta, then you may like the Prog Folk bands Iona & Karnataka too. Thumbs Up

Iona's Albums

Karnataka's Albums

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 13 2021 at 02:45
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 03:17

Looking out of the window, it looks like it's Autumn here as well. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 03:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well sort the weather out mate as I'm coming home for a few days next weekLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 03:38
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Are you sure you're in South Wales and not New South Wales? Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 03:44

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Are you sure you're in South Wales and not New South Wales? Wink

I have 95% confidence, but I can set up a poll for myself if that helps?LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>