Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Non-prog Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 06:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Sanatana, without a doubt. I have more albums by Santana than any other band - about 20 so far. Smile

Santana are actually in PA under Jazz Rock/Fusion.
Thanks! That's great news! I never knew Santana were in ProgArchives. Thumbs Up 

BTW, that's true for both Santana the group and Carlos Santana the solo artist.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 06:56

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The Zombies. Still making great music and they're a great bunch of chaps.

I didn't realise The Zombies had come back from the Dead, but I just noticed they released an album in the year 2000 titled "R.I.P." Smile
RIP is a compilation of old tracks but Breathe In, Breathe Out (2011) and Still Got That Hunger (2015) are all new albums and totally kick butt.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:45

The Zombies. Still making great music and they're a great bunch of chaps.

I didn't realise The Zombies had come back from the Dead, but I just noticed they released an album in the year 2000 titled "R.I.P." Smile
RIP is a compilation of old tracks but Breathe In, Breathe Out (2011) and Still Got That Hunger (2015) are all new albums and totally kick butt.
Thanks! I just had a look on Google at those two albums you mentioned and I noticed Rod Argent & Colin Blunstone are both still with The Zombies, so they must be good albums. Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 08:02
There are many ‘non-Prog’ bands I listen to, among them, my faves are Sade, Devo and Kajagoogoo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 08:04
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

There are many ‘non-Prog’ bands I listen to, among them, my faves are Sade, Devo and Kajagoogoo.

I like Sade too. Thumbs Up
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 09:34
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

In my rebel youth I got into punk/goth. Accordingly a couple of my favourites are still Bauhaus and Killing Joke

Good choices. Love Killing Joke.

You have one of my favourite avatars on PA, btw..

Aww, thanks Smile
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 10:13
Like many here, I have several.......I'd have to pick Earth, Wind & Fire. The first band I really immersed myself into as a kid and they inspired me to look into progressive rock bands.

Honorable Mentions:
Funkadelic/Parliament
Scorpions
Eric Clapton
The Police

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 10:32
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Like many here, I have several.......I'd have to pick Earth, Wind & Fire. The first band I really immersed myself into as a kid and they inspired me to look into progressive rock bands.

Honorable Mentions:
Funkadelic/Parliament
Scorpions
Eric Clapton
The Police

The Police... now there's a defining band. I can't think of a late 70s/early 80s band that weren't inspired by them. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 10:42
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Arctic Monkeys (Yes, I actually do think they're great..... well, apart from their last pretentious album)
I thought their last album was one of their best, even if still average. A lot of Prog is pretentious so I have absolutely no problem with that.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:03
There`s quite a few non-prog musicians i listen too here`s a few: 

The Police 
Status Quo 
Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green`s Mac) 
Tracey Chapman 
Sade 
Joss Stone 

add the classical composers too!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:23
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Honorable Mentions:
Funkadelic/Parliament
Scorpions
Eric Clapton
The Police

The Police... now there's a defining band. I can't think of a late 70s/early 80s band that weren't inspired by them. 
The Police were IMO, one of the most dynamic bands of that era. They were a supergroup almost, all 3 members coming from other groups to form The Police, and from progressive rock bands. Easily one of the greatest bands ever, the songs they wrote are legendary. Considering their short life together, what they did is brilliance.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:26
Tracey Chapman
Tori Amos
Susanne Vega
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:58
XTC
Joe Jackson
Elvis Costello
The Bears
McCoy Tyner
Thelonious Monk
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers
Lee Morgan
Them Moose Rush
Jellyfish
Alice Cooper
FAT
Freak Kitchen
Jimmy Herring
Simon Phillips Protocol
Joe Henderson
Kenny Barron
Randy Brecker
Woody Shaw
Tons more jazz musicians...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 11:04
As many have said hard to choose only one.
In the 60's would have been The Beatles  (and Stones), 70's Steely Dan and Allman Bros., 80's XTC, 90's got into obscure prog and proto prog and really didn't have a special non prog band...
Since 2000....I guess I would say The Beatles again. I never tire of playing their various albums. As I have gotten older I seem to be going back to many old groups.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 11:20
As a universal rule, everyone likes the Beatles.

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Honorable Mentions:
Funkadelic/Parliament
Scorpions
Eric Clapton
The Police

The Police were IMO, one of the most dynamic bands of that era. They were a supergroup almost, all 3 members coming from other groups to form The Police, and from progressive rock bands. Easily one of the greatest bands ever, the songs they wrote are legendary. Considering their short life together, what they did is brilliance.

Well, I agree with you, but according to the now defunct magazine Blender, Sting is the worst lyricist of all time. But that's now defunct, which shows you what people really think. Wink
Nevertheless, I don't think you'd get on with the editor of Blender, because according to the mag, Neil Peart is the second worst lyricist of all time. LOL
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 11:29
P J Harvey is my all time favorite artist, but band...well I think it´s Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band. But they´re progarchives...well then the Birthday Party.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 11:57
The Beatles followed by Led Zep, The Jam and XTC

Edited by chopper - August 07 2020 at 06:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 12:48
I initially chose Santana as my favourite non-prog band, until I discovered they're included in ProgArchives, so I'll choose The Doors and Jefferson Airplane as my second & third favourite non-prog bands. Smile

If we can choose individual artists as well as bands, then my favourite male singer is Chris Rea, and my favourite female singer is Sarah Brightman. Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 05 2020 at 12:51
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 17:44
Probably the Comsat Angels followed by Pinback. Obviously there are many great ones, and I consciously ignore solo artists here.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 19:14
Really hard to say. I’d have to do one for each genre, and maybe even by decade. Way to hard to narrow down. Let me sleep on it.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>