Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Threshold albums ranked from worst to best

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Threshold albums ranked from worst to best
    Posted: August 10 2020 at 08:04
As it says on the tin, ranking Thresholds albums from their worst one to their best one, imo.

Extinct Instinct (1997)

Im gonna have to make a disclaimer here and admit that i have only given this album a full listen through just the once, but it didnt particually impress me.   Damien Wilson sings possibly at his highest pitch on this album and squeals more often probably aswell.  Fraid it makes last place in my list.

Clone (1998)

The first album to have Mac as the singer. He's my favourite of the 3 vocalists, but, it would have to be placed 2nd from last unfortunately    . Just not that memorable as far as song quality goes.

Psychedelicatessen(1994)

The first album to have Glynn Morgan as the vocalist. My second favourite vocalist. But the albums still not too great. There's some fair few alright songs on this album, Innocence is a good power ballad. But this album possibly has the poorest production quality on.

For the Journey (2014)

Certainly not as good as the previous album to this one, the song writing standards dropped a fair bit here. Still a few good songs on this album, but no where near as memorable as March of Progress

Wounded Land (1993)

The bands debut album. This narrowly beats For the Journey. This album contains Damien Wilson, my least favourite of the 3 vocalist. But there are some good tracks on this album like Paradox of Man and Consume to Live. Siege of Baghdad is not too bad either. The production quality on this album is better than their 2nd album, ironically enough.

Critical Mass (2002)

Id like this album more if there was more variety to it, but the songs all sound a bit too samey, thats what ruins it. But nonetheless, the songs on this album are still quite good, but just dont expect too much variety if you buy this album.

Dead Reckoning (2007)

Unfortunately, this is the last album to contain Mac, before he left the band, then passed away in 2011 :-( . There is certainly variety on this album, unlike the album mentioned above, but not too many great songs on this album, only a few of them. The rest of the songs are mediocre at best.

Legend of the Shires (2017)

The bands latest album, and the album that sees a return of Glynn Morgan as vocalist. This album definitely has variety, and there are quite alot of good songs on this album. I think the fact they brought back Glynn Morgan helps this album get quite high on the chart.

March of Progress (2012)

This album narrowly beats Legend of the Shires, only just. Even though this album has Damien Wilson as the vocalist on, but i gotta give it its fair dues, it is quite a cracking album with plenty of variety and plenty of good songs. This is the first album they did after a 5 year hiatus, and boy did they come back with their best foot forward. Just a shame they didnt keep it up for the album that followed this

Hypothetical (2001)

Even though this album does not have the best production quality (it wasnt until Dead Reckoning that they got signed with Nuclear Blast), it is still easily one of their best albums, and a good start for beginners that are new to the band. Plenty of variety on this album and there's hardly any rubbish songs on here at all. Plenty of good songs on this album. Narcissist is certainly a masterpiece of a song.

Subsurface (2004)

The fact this album contains my favourite vocalist, Mac, and that there's only like 1 or 2 rubbish songs if that, there's many good songs on this album. Even the fillers are still good listenable songs. I rank this album their best, with Hypothetical only narrowly behind.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 08:35
I was expecting a ranking of the Moody Blues classic albums. Smile
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 09:25
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

In a thread titled "Threshold albums ranked from worst to best"? Ermm .  What else were you expecting, Red Dwarf seasons ranked from worst to best? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 09:36
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

In a thread titled "Threshold albums ranked from worst to best"? Ermm .  What else were you expecting, Red Dwarf seasons ranked from worst to best? 
I've never heard of the band Threshold before, so I naturally assumed you were referring to the Moody Blues albums on the Threshold label. Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 01:10

I was expected a thread on the stellar 1992 tech/extreme prog metal album by Nocturnus, lol:

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 03:49
I use to be part of this forum 10-13 years ago (under a different username), and my goodness it aint half changed.......   As far as how knowledgeable and intelligent its members were.

10 to 13 years ago, members were making threads like "Name your favourite album in each sub genre listed from this site?" (.i.e Symphonic rock, progressive folk, proto prog, Canterbury scene, neo prog rock, progressive metal ect ect)   , something i wasnt able to do back then and still wouldent be able to now.

To this..............."huh?, who's Threshold?, who's Savatage?, whats progressive rock?"

Edited by Greenmist - August 11 2020 at 03:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 03:56

I use to be part of this forum 10-13 years ago (under a different username), and my goodness it aint half changed.......   As far as how knowledgeable and intelligent its members were.

10 to 13 years ago, members were making threads like "Name your favourite album in each sub genre listed from this site?" (.i.e Symphonic rock, progressive folk, proto prog, Canterbury scene, neo prog rock, progressive metal ect ect)   , something i wasnt able to do back then and still wouldent be able to now.

I already ran three sub-genre polls on favourite Symphonic Prog, Canterbury Scene and Prog-Folk albums. Wink
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:54

I've never heard of the band Threshold before, so I naturally assumed you were referring to the Moody Blues albums on the Threshold label. Smile
Oh good, I am not the only one who's never heard of them.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:57
The off-topic-ness here is hilarious, but then again, progressive metal is one of the least popular subgenres around here. 

Threshold is one of my favorite progressive metal bands. I enjoy the albums with Andrew McDermott the most. 

I also agree that Glynn is much better than Damian. 
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 07:11
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Threshold is one of my favorite progressive metal bands. I enjoy the albums with Andrew McDermott the most. 

Thats cool, so you rank the vocalists in the same order i do

1st = Mac
2nd = Glynn Morgan
3rd = Damian Wilson

A poll was done on this forum all the way back in the late 00s, asking who is your favourite of the 3 vocalists,  the order from the poll was

1st = Damian Wilson
2nd = Mac
3rd = Glynn Morgan

I think they put Damian first because of his live gig showmanship.   He's not so bad for it now, but i always felt Damian had a kind of an irritating squeal to him in his singing.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 07:20

1st = Mac
2nd = Glynn Morgan
3rd = Damian Wilson

A poll was done on this forum all the way back in the late 00s, asking who is your favourite of the 3 vocalists,  the order from the poll was

1st = Damian Wilson
2nd = Mac
3rd = Glynn Morgan

I think they put Damian first because of his live gig showmanship.   He's not so bad for it now, but i always felt Damian had a kind of an irritating squeal to him in his singing.

check out early Landmarq and Headspace, Damian is pretty good. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 14:43

As it says on the tin, ranking Thresholds albums from their worst one to their best one.

Extinct Instinct their worst!? I think it's one of their best. For the most part, I can't get into the albums with Mac. The new one with Glynn isn't too hot, either (but it doesn't have a guitar tandem), but I love Psychedelicatessen.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 14:46

1st = Mac
2nd = Glynn Morgan
3rd = Damian Wilson

1st = Damian Wilson
2nd = Mac
3rd = Glynn Morgan

No, I genuinely like Damian as a vocalist. I also prefer the live version of "Mission Profile" with Damian. Nothing against Mac (RIP).

Maybe you came to Threshold later than some of us and just like Damian less.
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 06:01
I started listening to Threshold in 2007, when i went to Progressive Powerfest in Cheltenham, they gave everyone a goodie bag, which had demo/promo cd's in, and Thresholds song Slipstream was on it.  It stood out among the other songs on that disc.   The next move was i checked out threshold on here, back when you could stream songs from this sight, and there were a few Threshold songs on here, like Narcisist and Paradox of Man.    Then i checked out their page on Myspace, where there were songs like Mission Profile, and the rest is history.

But i got to hear the album Wounded Land, before hearing Psychedelicatessen, and i still decided i liked Glynn Morgan better than Damian Wilson.    Saying that tho, i am looking forward to hearing Arena's next album, as Damian will be singing on it, was never a fan of Paul Manzi.     I also hope Damian stays with the band long enough till they release their next live album, as it will be interesting hearing Damian sing songs from albums like The Visitor, Immortal and Contagion.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 06:19

I started listening to Threshold in 2007, when i went to Progressive Powerfest in Cheltenham, they gave everyone a goodie bag, which had demo/promo cd's in, and Thresholds song Slipstream was on it.  It stood out among the other songs on that disc.   The next move was i checked out threshold on here, back when you could stream songs from this sight, and there were a few Threshold songs on here, like Narcisist and Paradox of Man.    Then i checked out their page on Myspace, where there were songs like Mission Profile, and the rest is history.

the song is called Narcissus, not Narcissist.
I heard Threshold on the radio, in the 90s, there was a rock & metal show on a radio station I was listening to then (sadly does not exist anymore). But it was 2001 that i bought Hypothetical and they've been a favorite band for me since then. Big smile
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 05:41
Well...............its been nearly half a year since i made this thread, so thought id give some updates.

I got the album Extinct Instinct on vinyl for Christmas, as it was going for less then £20 on amazon, and its a limited edition red vinyl.   Also that album came with autorip, so that meant for £18.60, i got it on vinyl and on digital download (CD quality).   So since i made this thread, ive listened to the album a fair few times, where when i made the thread, i had only listened to that album just the once.

I think i would rank it higher now than Wounded Land.   Extinct Instinct has more variety on it than Wounded Land.  There's two nice soft songs on there, Clear and Mansion.  About 3 or 4 songs have thrashy moments in, i think the only song that has that on Wounded Land is Seige of Bahgdad.   The song Part of the Chaos i think has Judas Priest/nwobhm moments in.   I would rank Thresholds 00s and 10s albums higher than their 90s albums.   Because i think Threshold have been like fine wine, they've gotten better with age.

The problem with assessing prog metal/rock albums is, you need to give them multiple amounts of listens to, to truly get to know them.  With a thrash metal album for example, the assesment ill make of them after 2 or 3 listens to, is highly likely gonna be the one ill always stick to, but with prog metal, certainly not the case.   I bought their latest album Legend of the Shires in 2018, and im STILL getting to know it more.   Ive started to appreciate the synthesiser moments in the middle of the song The Man Who Saw Through Time.   And ive started to appreciate the song Trust the Process more.    When i first got the album Subsurface, i didnt think much of the song Art of Reason, but now.......... its one of my favourite songs on that album.

I recently gave the Savatage album Wake of Megellana another listen to, because i bought that on vinyl too, so i needed to proof listen to it to make sure it had no skips in, and i realise i like it more than i thought i did.  Quite a fair few of the songs on there have vocal counterpointing in.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 06:00
Someone bought me the Shires album for my birthday last year. Prog-metal is not normally a genre I listen to but I really like this album so I need to check them out some more.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 06:01

Presumably that would have been entitled "Rank Moody Blues albums"?
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 04:43
Just gave Threshold a bit of a listen. Like them so far.
I was a metal fan before being a prog fan, so it's not surprising that I like them.
And mixing the two is always golden.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
 Post Reply Post Reply