Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waves of Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waves of Prog?
    Posted: September 03 2020 at 03:30
I've often seen people talk about periods or waves of prog. In my mind, there have been about five, the proto prog of the 60s, the 70s golden age, the neo-prog revival from about 1979-1987, the post-prog of the late 90s and 2000s (including Porcupine Tree, the Mars Volta, etc.) - which also sparked the rejuvenation of a few neo bands (eg, Pendragon with the Masquerade Overture and IQ with Subterranea - though, to be fair, Pendragon never really stopped), and lastly the new/modern prog wave we seem to be on the verge of (including Thank You Scientist, Steve Wilson, etc.) - while, at the same time, several of those neo bands that came back in the late 90s are experiencing a golden age, eg. The Road of Bones and Resistance by IQ and Love over Fear by Pendragon all released fairly recently (for prog, anyway)  are now widely considered masterpieces.
So, my point is, is my idea of prog history correct, or is it a load of rubbish?
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 03:36
You've excluded all progressive metal.
90s prog revival with Anglagard, Spock's Beard, TFK, etc.
Post rock bands? No? 

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 03:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Post rock bands? No? 

Good point, I did completely forgot prog metal. Mind you, I don't actually know that much about it, so I don't think I have much of right to talk about it. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 03:50
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Post rock bands? No? 

Good point, I did completely forgot prog metal. Mind you, I don't actually know that much about it, so I don't think I have much of right to talk about it. 

acknowledge its existence at least, it's got quite diverse over the years. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 03:52
It's roughly correct, although Steven Wilson isn't really in a new/modern "wave" as he's been making solo albums for 12 years.
I would also say proto-prog developed from the 60s into 70s prog without there really being any "wave".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 03:58

Post rock bands? No? 

That is mainly why I don't know much about it. I get a bit confused with what's prog metal, what's prog metalcore, what's prog death metal, what's prog doom metal, and what's prog death/doom metal.
I acknowledge it's existence, though, certainly. I just don't really know the ins and outs of it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 03:59

Post rock bands? No? 

That is mainly why I don't know much about it. I get a bit confused with what's prog metal, what's prog metalcore, what's prog death metal, what's prog doom metal, and what's prog death/doom metal.
I acknowledge it's existence, though, certainly. I just don't really know the ins and outs of it.
And as I forgot to add, prog death/doom metalcore.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 04:02

Post rock bands? No? 

there's no such thing as prog death doom metalcore. You either do not know what you are saying or you are trying to make fun of me, which is uncalled for. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 04:06
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's roughly correct, although Steven Wilson isn't really in a new/modern "wave" as he's been making solo albums for 12 years.
I would also say proto-prog developed from the 60s into 70s prog without there really being any "wave".
You're probably right with proto prog... I felt the need to acknowledge it because there were a fair few bands, like the Wilde Flowers and Giles, Giles and Fripp, that more or less fit the prog (or at least psychedelic) criteria, but broke up in the 60s long before the 70s. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 04:11

Post rock bands? No? 

there's no such thing as prog death doom metalcore. You either do not know what you are saying or you are trying to make fun of me, which is uncalled for. 
I'm not making fun of you, I'm making fun of the fact there are a ridiculous number of metal subgenres. 
Google this address, you'll see what I mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_genres
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 04:14

Post rock bands? No? 

I'm not making fun of you, I'm making fun of the fact there are a ridiculous number of metal subgenres. 

the fact that there are many metal subgenres is called one thing creativity
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 04:17

Post rock bands? No? 

the fact that there are many metal subgenres is called one thing creativity
Ok, then. Sorry if I've offended you with my slightly anti-metal jokes.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 06:45
It's a very good way to look at it and it seems quite accurate.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 07:45

Steve Wilson, etc.
So, my point is, is my idea of prog history correct, or is it a load of rubbish?

Hi,

Honestly I think that SW is simply about pop songs ... his days of tripping and doing some really nice and neat music are gone as far as I think, which could be incorrect, of course. but he has not done anything that is remotely even close to "progressive" for a long time, and his solo efforts are all about "songs" ... nothing else. 

Some nice stuff, no doubt, but I would not even consider him progressive anymore!

History is a bunch of waves, just like the sea, and sometimes the winds push a bit harder and you get something else ... in general ... any music "scene" has a social/political edge to it and is a part of the history of those days ... and one can easily say that the material the past 30 to 40 years has no real social/political significance to speak off, and I think this lowers the quality and relevance of the work.

It comes and goes ... but were it not for England thinking they invented "progressive" and America thinking that the only good music is the "top ten" ... I think that we would find a few more good things that deserve out ears around the world ... but cold day in hell that someone that considers himself/herself "progressive" will go listen to someone from another country ... in some cases the real progressive folks in this board almost don't even use the word!

It's like asking a guitarist in DT to go listen to Egberto Gismonti and learn a thing or two about thrashing your 10 string guitar! It will never happen, because he has no ear for "music" beyond the thing that he does!

Edited by moshkito - September 03 2020 at 07:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 08:05
2010s would be my choice due to so many great debut albums.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 08:47
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

choice of what? Confused LOLthis isn't a poll. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 09:12
^I was simply asking whether my idea of prog history is correct.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 09:14
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

It's a very good way to look at it and it seems quite accurate.
Thanks. Most people seem to think that, which is good (for me). Smile
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 11:11
Details aside on what genres and sub-genres should or should not be included, I think the main assessment is accurate. As Moshquito noted, many things come in waves - music and clothing in particular (except for Zoot Suits Wink). Maybe my mom's Beanie Baby collection will actually have value sometime soon. Once you live a few decades you start to see it, and wonder why someone is calling a revival something new. So yes, Prog comes in waves. This is not to say that the newest wave is a recreation of an older one, but it is safe to say the older waves influence the newer ones. Other musical trends also enter into the mix, because influences tend to be diverse.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 11:53

Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

choice of what? Confused LOLthis isn't a poll. 
De facto this is like a poll, lol. Well I think that the 2010s "wave of Prog" was better than "wave of Prog" in the 2000s and let's say equal to the 1990s, although different because in the 1990s the new bands were still looking for a record label to release their debut album officially, while in the the 2010s it was mostly self-released stuff, more alike lovely folk-art. Personally I loved it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>