Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Weep hard, for you must only choose three.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.52%]
4 [8.70%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
5 [10.87%]
3 [6.52%]
2 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.52%]
5 [10.87%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 08:30
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Sorry for not responding sooner to this, I first saw it pre-coffee, this am and wanted to think on what you'd said a bit more before responding from my usual rising fog.  Now that you bring it to my attention, I can indeed see it as also this.  Kind of reminds me how much poetry has more than one meaning and definitely each person brings their own personal experience into interpreting it.  I like the way you describe the singing and sax, it does convey the mood of the piece perfectly, especially in thinking of it from your viewpoint.  Once again, I learn something new from you.  :)

I knew you'd respond. Smile And thanks for your reflections!
By the way, re Björk, I think her voice is a unique force of nature, however some of her musical choices are hard to grasp. She has two absolutely stellar tracks apart from I've seen it all in my view, probably both all too well known, but I repost them anyway.

The first one is the one track that I'd put as number one example of human music on one of these spacecrafts that were sent out to testify human existence to extraterrestials. It says perfectly what being human is about... in case the extraterrestials figure out English of course.

The second is maybe the most moving thing I ever saw on TV.

Videos removed for space.  Thank you, I will look forward to hearing them once I am settled for the day.  Smile
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:00
Wow, those were finalised faster than I expected (had an early night and a late rise).

Here is the Pedro choice (one I knew and loved):

Great choice!
Just a fanboy passin' through.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:18
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:26
I just discovered we can put a playlist in window if I put the "playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx43kHeV9vA1R9p4Ms_AnpCh" part of the url in the tube tags. 

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

While I suggested lesser know songs if going for Prog acts, that is not a rule, merely a suggestion. In this case I knew all of them -- I'd go with the Split Enz or Hammill myself. I'm planning to put the poll choices up today, maybe tonight in about six hours so the deadline lurks ominously close.

By the way, here is a rather upbeat, jaunty sounding one which has more morose lyrical content.

Belle and Sebastian - "Get Me Away From Here I Am Dying"

Video removed for space.  Sounds like if The Kinks and Donovan collaborated, they might do something like this.  Very enjoyable listen.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:34

Thanks, Lewian. This has all felt a bit rushed to me. Guess the work-week has flown by, but then I rushed putting together this topic.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

A couple of items/thoughts on these things ... 

One More Chance - Fairport Convention sung by Sandy Denny, and the remastered album has a piano version that is even more haunting. The album version appears to be a tribute to her. I always feel like ... she didn't get another chance!

Battered Ornaments/Pete Brown - My Love is Gone Far Away ... a song about the love has gone away with some incredible guitar work. Chris Spedding on guitar!

That Battered Ornaments one is very cool. Love it.

Sandy Denny, just a jewel, always.  I prefer the second one, as well.  The Battered Ornaments I'd not heard of, love the guitar work on it.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:36
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

[QUOTE=TCat]I'm surprised this one didn't get on someone's list.  I thought for sure that it would.  Yeah, it might be a bit sappy, but it was a big hit in the states, even when every one found out it was a song about Carl Wilson's (The Beach Boys) dog.  Dog/Pet lovers will need a box of tissue especially if you watch the video.

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

So, I don't really know this song, but I know a story related to the song. It was the song that was requested as a long distance dedication that lead to one of the infamous Casey Kasem outtakes. At 0:32 seconds onward.

Warning: some foul language. NSFW.

Then sound collage artists Negativland used it in their "I Still Haven't Found What I Am Looking For (Special Radio Edit Mix)" which is how I first found out about the Casey Kasem outtakes when a friend of mine gave me a copy on tape.

This is all sad, but in a funny pathetic sort of way.  
  Interesting, I'd never heard any Casey Kasem outtakes.  :D
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I knew you'd respond. Smile And thanks for your reflections!
By the way, re Björk, I think her voice is a unique force of nature, however some of her musical choices are hard to grasp. She has two absolutely stellar tracks apart from I've seen it all in my view, probably both all too well known, but I repost them anyway.

The first one is the one track that I'd put as number one example of human music on one of these spacecrafts that were sent out to testify human existence to extraterrestials. It says perfectly what being human is about... in case the extraterrestials figure out English of course.

The second is maybe the most moving thing I ever saw on TV.

Videos removed for space:  I found "Human Behaviour," quite chilling.  She is definitely as interesting to watch as listen to.  Joga is quite beautiful. Again, she is very charismatic, with the orchestra, this is indeed very moving.  I am changing my mind about her and thank you.  Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:52

Wow, those were finalised faster than I expected (had an early night and a late rise).

Here is the Pedro choice (one I knew and loved):

Great choice!
  Video removed for space:  A wonderful song, I love this and other versions of it as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 12:00
A bit more upbeat, yet still beautiful version of "Reynardine."  This one features another stellar singer, Jacqui McShee.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 16:21
^ Very nice,

Regarding Bjork, "Isobel" has long been my favourite Bjork track (and Joga):

A rather melancholy Beck one that I love:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 16:36
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain" (Roy Batty, Blade Runner).

With a heavy heart and an even heavier bladder, I'm dejectedly voting now. Sadly, lots I found very good, and I with great sorrow discounted the ones that I sadly already knew which I sadly appreciated, and I shall sadly vote for three now.

Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
Tenhi - "Surunuotta"
Antony & the Johnsons - "The Lake"

I am saddest of all because I can only vote for three.

Thanks to everyone who has participated.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 17:07

Playlist for the nominees:

Great!
"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 17:39
First part.

1) Death with dignity. Guitar arpeggio similar to that of Simon & Garfunkel. Tender song rather than sad, in my opinion. Nice

2) I don't know this group, and I don't search the net. Is the voice from an African American? I think so. It is highly expressive, hypersensitive. The mood is mournful, a bluesy, made symphonic by the strings, but it's not really sad, I would say rather melancholy. Still it is a great performance, a conventional melodic song beautiful for melody and singing. Podium candidate

3) Weyes Blood. Melodic, acoustic ballad, with an arrangement between the symphonic and the psychedelic. With a dream singing, it gives me a certain energy and serenity, on a musical level. Pleasant and relaxing.

4) One Last Goodbye. Slow ballad with a melancholy mood, which becomes powerful then in the chorus, although they sing I Still Feel the Pain, if I understand correctly. It's a good song, which I would put between the electric rock ballads of a group that I suppose is hard rock or heavy metal. Maybe he gives me too much energy and power to get on the podium, we'll see.

5) Chris Cornell was a big loss. Superunknown is my favorite hard rock / heavy metal album, and already there he gave his best when he wrote the less heavy ballads, and here he gives his best in a very well sung acoustic melodic ballad. As a mood I feel disappointment mixed with anger. Podium candidate.

6) One and Only. Another group I don't know. I share the youtube commentator: powerful song, with very heavy metal moments. Definitely angry song, but anger is one of the ways to react to sadness, without feeling it. The three basic emotions are: sadness, anger and fear. Then, depending on the classifications, you can reach 7 emotions with disgust, surprise, contempt, joy. All the others are similar to these sects. Moreover, if we consider disgust and contempt as a sub-category of anger, there are 5 left, and surprise as an emotion is less significant than the others, so there are 4 left. Hmmm what am I saying? Nice song, very hard rock, but I doubt it will make it to the podium.

7) Surunuotta. Classical acoustic song, but with a particular mood because it goes beyond sadness, it is a typically oriental contemplative sadness. Simple but very refined. Candidate for the podium.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 17:51

A bit more upbeat, yet still beautiful version of "Reynardine."  This one features another stellar singer, Jacqui McShee. 

That's a nice rendition, but it misses the dark intent resident in the Sandy Denny version. I still get a thrill when Sandy voices "His teeth did brightly shine" and you can feel the malice of the werefox Reynardine. Yes, a werefox. At least one adaptation of the Roud indexed English ballad casts Reynardine as a werefox, in any case. Perhaps drawing from the French fabliaux of the cunning trickster Reynard the Fox.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:00
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

That's a nice rendition, but it misses the dark intent resident in the Sandy Denny version. I still get a thrill when Sandy voices "His teeth did brightly shine" and you can feel the malice of the werefox Reynardine. Yes, a werefox. At least one adaptation of the Roud indexed English ballad casts Reynardine as a werefox, in any case. Perhaps drawing from the French fabliaux of the cunning trickster Reynard the Fox.
  I agree, it's much lighter.  A cautionary tale, indeed, as so many of these are.  Be careful out there!  Makes me also think of the folklore of the Trickster (Coyote) in Native American folklore, these tricky, smart creatures in various forms cross many cultures.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:15

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I'm surprised this one didn't get on someone's list.  I thought for sure that it would.  Yeah, it might be a bit sappy, but it was a big hit in the states, even when every one found out it was a song about Carl Wilson's (The Beach Boys) dog.  Dog/Pet lovers will need a box of tissue especially if you watch the video.

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

So, I don't really know this song, but I know a story related to the song. It was the song that was requested as a long distance dedication that lead to one of the infamous Casey Kasem outtakes. At 0:32 seconds onward.

Warning: some foul language. NSFW.

Then sound collage artists Negativland used it in their "I Still Haven't Found What I Am Looking For (Special Radio Edit Mix)" which is how I first found out about the Casey Kasem outtakes when a friend of mine gave me a copy on tape.

This is all sad, but in a funny pathetic sort of way.  

Videos removed for space issues.

I was aware of that story and the Kasem outtake.  He just kind of flew off the handle there, didn't he?

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:23
1. Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
2. Sebastian - "De grå katte"
3. Ray LaMontagne - "All the Wild Horses"

There were some excellent selections once again, and I almost hate to vote in the end because I don't like having to eliminate all of the great entries.  It makes me so depressed, despondent and sad.  I'm so sorry everyone, I wish you could all be winners.  I think I'll go listen to the list again just to cheer up.   

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:32

Hi,

A nice version, but the thing that makes the FC version work so well, is RT's guitar ... it's just as good as Sandy's voice in the song.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:45
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

A nice version, but the thing that makes the FC version work so well, is RT's guitar ... it's just as good as Sandy's voice in the song.
  Big fan of Mr Thompson as well, so I hear what you are saying.  Many people have covered this song and in different ways, which was my only intention, not to try to take away at all from FC's gorgeous version.  I think it's interesting that the same piece can come across quite differently, when approached from a different angle.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>