Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jon Anderson: Wonderous Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon Anderson: Wonderous Stories
    Posted: September 28 2020 at 04:47
Jon Anderson has been weaving Wonderous Stories of mythical proggy adventures for over fifty years now, ever since meeting Chris Squire in Mabel Greer's Toyshop way back in 1968. His marvellous solo albums are stronger than ever at the Turn of the Century, with many songs having obvious Parallels with the songs of Yes. It's time to Awaken to the awesome power of prog  and celebrate together now with Jon Anderson as we're Going for the One album where his solo career began: Olias of Sunhillow

Jon Anderson's Discography

4 stars 1981: Jon & Vangelis - The Friends of Mr Cairo - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtJ1t-8bDOqVC7b9G1wDNFQ
 5 stars 1983: Jon & Vangelis - Private Collection - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtfSUU5PVNLFguKdQGK4O85
 3 stars 1988: Jon Anderson - In the City of Angels - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBZVbdK8jrx44SpMKmh_Bq-
 3 stars 1996: Jon Anderson - Toltec - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXK9m2PbaCQ
 3 stars 1997: Jon & Jane Anderson - The Promise  Ring - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCrJhOBfVElrkES9jlutw_I
 3 stars 1997: Jon Anderson - Earth Mother Earth  - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDqbtZDGZOX9Vx4aROFmjA6
 4 stars 2005: Jon Anderson - Tour of the Universe - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzC10NWCLXoqKdu2_8fnqbkn
 3 stars 2006: Jon Anderson - Watching the Flags That Fly - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBte4u1Tsmbp6oHJYYIzd3L
 3 stars 2007: Jon Anderson - Live from La La Land - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCFxZXLwhy4bpm9e9ucdfQh
 4 stars 2010: Anderson / Wakeman - The Living Tree - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCyu1g0LVusBKDtykc49jcC
 4 stars 2011: Jon Anderson - Survival & Other Stories - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCZwwlTtB1XsBQxh0HJm94V
 5 stars 2011:Jon Anderson - Open (E.P.) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR3zlvnpyAc
 4 stars 2015: Anderson-Ponty Band - Better Late Than Never - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDVrgEz7r3E0n78TwjSNz-6
 4 stars 2016: Anderson / Stolt - Invention of Knowledge - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCElVGw_tqrXc-fIpFzgwP8
 4 stars 2019: Jon Anderson - One Thousand Hands: Chapter One - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzC3IZrQV4m38Xwoz5smnZj0

"Open" (2011):- My all-time favourite song from Jon Anderson's solo albums, which brings back wonderful proggy memories of the classic Yes years. In my opinion, this is just as good as all of the Yessongs on Heaven & Earth, although you may disagree.  Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 29 2021 at 03:45
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 06:32
"Open" is good (although it doesn't take that much to be better than the songs on H&E), I like the stuff he did with Vangelis and One Thousand Hands is good and I haven't heard much from the others, but Olias is by far the best thing I've heard from him as a solo artist, easily a 5 star album.

The album he did with Stolt is good as well. How did he not get in the Prog Magazine Top 100 musicians poll?

btw - 1 mark off Paul for using a Squire song in your opening essay.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 06:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

"Open" is good (although it doesn't take that much to be better than the songs on H&E), I like the stuff he did with Vangelis and One Thousand Hands is good and I haven't heard much from the others, but Olias is by far the best thing I've heard from him as a solo artist, easily a 5 star album.

The album he did with Stolt is good as well. How did he not get in the Prog Magazine Top 100 musicians poll?

btw - 1 mark off Paul for using a Squire song in your opening essay.
When I said I like the "Open" song just as much any Yessong on Heaven & Earth, I meant Heaven & Earth itself, not the Heaven & Earth album. Smile

I had to include the Chris Squire song "Parallels" in my introduction to complete the list of five songs on the "Going for the One" album. Smile

My favourite piece of music on the Olias of Sunhillow album is the closing song: "To the Runner" Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 28 2020 at 07:10
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 06:50
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I had to include the Chris Squire song "Parallels" in my introduction to complete the list of five songs on the "Going for the One" album. Smile

My apologies, hadn't spotted that. Embarrassed

I agree about To The Runner but the whole instrumental bit leading up to it is magical as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 07:07
Jon Anderson has also collaborated with Michael Byrne on several superb New Age songs, none of which appear on an album, although I hope they will appear on an album sometime soon. Smile

Whispers of Forgiveness (Pale Blue Dot)

Dancin' & Jumpin'

Andromeda

Requiem for the Americas

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 11 2020 at 07:54
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 12:28
I am really enjoying Jon’s collaborations with Byrne on YouTube, and it would be nice if an album came out of it.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 13:19
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am really enjoying Jon’s collaborations with Byrne on YouTube, and it would be nice if an album came out of it.

I'd definitely buy the album, just on the strength of the four songs above. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 29 2020 at 09:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 07:44
Another one of my favourites from the Olias of Sunhillow album...

Solid Space

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 07:57
"Olias of Sunhillow" needs a decent re-release. My CD copy has just the front and back covers of the album booklet in type so small you need to be an ant to read it and the story is a major part of the whole experience.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 08:46

"Olias of Sunhillow" needs a decent re-release. My CD copy has just the front and back covers of the album booklet in type so small you need to be an ant to read it and the story is a major part of the whole experience.

I still haven't managed to get hold of the Olias of Sunhillow album on CD. The only Jon Anderson album I have on CD is "The More You Know" from 1998, which is not one of his best. Ouch
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 08:47

I still haven't managed to get hold of the Olias of Sunhillow album on CD. The only Jon Anderson album I have on CD is "The More You Know" from 1998, which is not one of his best. Ouch
It's £11.18 on that web site named after a well known South American river.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 08:57

It's £11.18 on that web site named after a well known South American river.
Thanks. I'll take a look at the Orinoco web site, although I like to buy CD's the old-fashioned way from a record store - that's if there are any left open at the end of the lockdown. I just heard my favourite music store in Nottingham (FOPP) has permanently closed its doors. Ouch
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 09:00

I just heard my favourite music store in Nottingham (FOPP) has permanently closed its doors. Ouch

Cry That's a bummer, I hope the one in Covent Garden doesn't shut.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 09:30

I just heard my favourite music store in Nottingham (FOPP) has permanently closed its doors. Ouch

FOPP is owned by HMV, so I'm just hoping that the Nottingham HMV store remains open, otherwise we'll have no decent record stores left in Nottingham.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 10:09

FOPP is owned by HMV, so I'm just hoping that the Nottingham HMV store remains open, otherwise we'll have no decent record stores left in Nottingham.
That really is depressing.
The only one near me now that I know of is in Rye, Kent.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 11:26
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

That really is depressing.
The only one near me now that I know of is in Rye, Kent.
We have a Rough Trade record store in Nottingham (one of only four in the world), but their rough & ready prog section is virtually threadbare. They didn't even have any albums by any of the "Big Six" the last time I went in there. Ouch
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 14:43
Oddly I don't own any Anderson solo albums although I have most of his collaborative efforts and enjoy them!

Anderson/Ponty band is probably my favourite. I even bought the expanded version having bought the single disc version to start with.

I imagine his solo albums to be a bit 'silly' but that is just a prejudice on my part.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 14:59
I've only heard maybe 40-50 percent of his solo albums(at the most) but have enjoyed most of the ones I have heard. My favorite is Olias of Sunhillow but I also really like in the city of angels and animation.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:35
My favourite song and video from Jon Anderson's second album: Song of Seven (1980)

For You, For Me

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 30 2020 at 09:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 09:04
Jon Anderson & Kevin Shima - Big Buddha Song, from the album, Survival & Other Stories (2011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>