Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite 12 French Prog albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 12:41
Sharing personal regional lists of favorites (and looking at what others post) for me is just an effective way of exchanging listening reccomendations. At least it is for me. I've never given a flying f**k about lists or charts or popularity or any of that. But this isn’t just the same 5 or ten folks over and over again.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 08:18
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Sharing personal regional lists of favorites (and looking at what others post) for me is just an effective way of exchanging listening recommendations. At least it is for me. I've never given a flying f**k about lists or charts or popularity or any of that. But this isn’t just the same 5 or ten folks over and over again.

Hi,

The hard part is explaining to many of these folks that "top" this or that, or "favorite" this or that, never has factored in my tastes for music, which are spread out all over the world, thus, my ability to state a favorite of any band is really hard and not worth the hassle.

When you have listened to music diligently for 60 years, and appreciated all different kinds of them, from classical, to folk, to jazz, to rock, to musicals, to this, to that ... you name it, as a person that loves music and appreciates it to no end, the idea of "favorite" is ridiculous and crazy!

I have some things I love to listen to now and then, but they are all already in my heart and I don't have to play it again to remind me of what I missed. This would be the case for AD2, Ange, Banco, Can and many others ... I guess they could be considered "favorites" but I have never looked at them as a nationality other than that of music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 08:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Sharing personal regional lists of favorites (and looking at what others post) for me is just an effective way of exchanging listening recommendations. At least it is for me. I've never given a flying f**k about lists or charts or popularity or any of that. But this isn’t just the same 5 or ten folks over and over again.

Hi,

The hard part is explaining to many of these folks that "top" this or that, or "favorite" this or that, never has factored in my tastes for music, which are spread out all over the world, thus, my ability to state a favorite of any band is really hard and not worth the hassle.

When you have listened to music diligently for 60 years, and appreciated all different kinds of them, from classical, to folk, to jazz, to rock, to musicals, to this, to that ... you name it, as a person that loves music and appreciates it to no end, the idea of "favorite" is ridiculous and crazy!

I have some things I love to listen to now and then, but they are all already in my heart and I don't have to play it again to remind me of what I missed. This would be the case for AD2, Ange, Banco, Can and many others ... I guess they could be considered "favorites" but I have never looked at them as a nationality other than that of music!

I am absolutely with you here, Pedro! To me, attempting to work out my favourite or top artists or albums is ridiculous and crazy. There’s just too much I love, spread across time and place.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2021 at 09:15
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I am absolutely with you here, Pedro! To me, attempting to work out my favourite or top artists or albums is ridiculous and crazy. There’s just too much I love, spread across time and place.

Considered entirely in general, I feel pretty much the same.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 19:17
In no particular order:

Gong - You

Atoll L'arignee Mal

Ange - Guet-Apens

Magma - KA

Magma - 1001 Degrees Centigrade

Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh

Eskaton - 4 Visions

Andre Fertier's Clivage - Mixtus Orbis

Shylock - Ile De Fievre

Clearlight - Clearlight Symphony

Carpe Diem - En Regarde Passe Le Temps

Edited by zwordser - November 29 2021 at 19:46
Z
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 19:54
only 12? Impossible is not French! 
Better known:
1- Children in Paradise- Essylt
2- Alpha Ralpha- s/t
3- Ange- Au Dela du Delire
4- JL Ponty- Enigmatic Ocean
5- Tai Phong- s/t
6- Pulsar- Gorlitz
7- Pierre Moerlen Gong- Gazeuse
8- Nemo-Coma
9- Seven Reizh- Strinkadenn Ys
10- Shylock- Ile de Fievre
11- Patrick Broguiere- Mont St-Michel
12- Taal- Skymind

Less known
1- ADN- Prelude
2- Artcane- Odyssee
3- Xang- Destiny of Dreams
4- Synopsis- Gamme
5- Neo- s/t
6- Ose- Adonia
7- Acanthe- Someone somewhere
8- Elixir- Sabbat
9- Elohim- La manna Perdu
10- Eidolon- Dreamland
11- Mandragore- A Revivre le Futur
12- Vent D'Est- s/t

hons: Maldoror, Molecule, Pentacle, Mona Lisa, Skryvania, Darkshot, Silver Lining, Motis, Angipatch, Minimum Vital, Eclat, Carpe Diem.

New artist called Phog has 4 awesome albums 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 07:14
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I can tell that - next after UK - Germany, Italy and France are my favourite Prog coutries. We've had German and Italian personal top 12 lists so hereby French one.

How about Danish Prog? Since you are located in Copenhagen, I would be curious to learn your Top 10/12 Danish Prog albums.

My fave French Prog albums are (1 album per band as requested, in alphabetic order):

Abus Dangereux - Le Quatrieme Mouvement (1980)  
Ange - Au-Dela Du Delire (1974)
Arachnoid - Arachnoid (1979)  
Atoll - L'Araignee Mal (1975)  
Carpe Diem - En Regardant Passer Le Temps (1976)  
Dün - Eros (1981) 
Eskaton - 4 Visions (1980)
Etron Fou Leloublan - Les Poumons Gonfles (1982)  
Magma - Kohntarkosz (1974)
Moving Gelatine Plates - The World of Genius Hans (1972)  
Pentacle - La Clef des Songes (1975)
Wurtemberg - Rock Fantasia Opus 9 (1980)  

Gong - "You" would make my list, but I don't consider them as French band (Various, not French)

Edited by enigmatic - November 30 2021 at 07:17
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 07:56
Welcome very much to your contribution here, as well, Enigmatic
"Danish Prog"? Well, such a thing it's not so much worth for consideration, if you ask me, maybe except from Prog Metal - even I surely could recommend for instance Secret Oyster's Sea Sun,  which I find allmost as good as the best of American Jazz-Rock.
So, I'm afraid, I won't be the one who makes a thread about it, but I can tell you that Mirakaze have plans for Swedish and Norwegian threads, which are something entirely else by my opinion, as well.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 09:23
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

How about Danish Prog? Since you are located in Copenhagen, I would be curious to learn your Top 10/12 Danish Prog albums.

But at your request, I'd be happy to post here my favourite Danish Prog albums, okay? - which you maybe just was asking for.

Edited by David_D - November 30 2021 at 09:24
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 09:40
So, here it comes, my Danish Prog favourites (all LOL of them):

3. Ache  -  De Homine Urbano  (1970)

4. Bazaar  -  Bazaar Live  (1978)

2. Burnin’ Red Ivanhoe  -  W.W.W.  (1971)

1. Secret Oyster  -  Sea Sun   1974)

6. Sievert, Tolonen  -  After Three Days  (1978)

5. Mercyful Fate  -  Melissa  (1983) (it's more Heavy than Prog Metal, but anyway)

Edited by David_D - December 01 2021 at 03:01
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 10:13
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Welcome very much to your contribution here, as well, Enigmatic
"Danish Prog"? Well, such a thing it's not so much worth for consideration, if you ask me,
There are at least 3 Danish Prog albums that are pretty high in my book:
Burnin' Red Ivanhoe - M144, not extremely progressive, maybe that's why low ratings on PA? I would put this album in jazzy psych/proto-prog category.
Coma - Financial Tycoon - jazz-rock/fusion with Zappa influence. Less known album because for many years not available on CD format. 
Culpeper's Orchard - S/T - this is more of a conventional rock album with some prog-y and folk-y elements
They are not essential but definitely excellent addition to any prog rock fan collection.
Ache - De Homine Urbano would be next on my list.

Thanks David_D for you Top 6 of Danish Prog. I see it now. 

Edited by enigmatic - November 30 2021 at 10:14
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 10:47

Culpeper's Orchard - S/T - this is more of a conventional rock album with some prog-y and folk-y elements

This one is well known and high-rated on RYM.

Edited by David_D - November 30 2021 at 10:52
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 15:24
PULSAR : Halloween
ATOLL : L'araignée-mal
ANGE : Au delà du délire
NEBELNEST : Same
XANG: Destiny of a dream
SYRINX : Reification
MAGMA : Live (aka Hhai)
ANGE : cimetière des arlequins
WEIDORJE : Same (Zeuhl)
and some other from : Atoll/Ange/Nebelnest/Taal/Wapassou...

Edited by mellotronwave - February 04 2022 at 16:42
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2022 at 01:38
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Arachnoîd - Arachnoîd

Arachnoid - Arachnoid (1979)

I discovered this album about a week ago. A great album! Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

Edited by I prophesy disaster - February 11 2022 at 01:39
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2022 at 02:35
I would like to mention an artist that as far as I saw has not been mentioned before: the French guitar player Christian Boulé. I highly recommend his two solo albums "Photo Musik" (yes, with a "k") and "Non-Fiction". here example tracks from both albums:

Edited by BaldJean - February 11 2022 at 02:41

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234