Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 37>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2022 at 15:48
Thumbs Up
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2022 at 07:37
Your website is looking great Steve. Really enjoyed the blurbs about local ales and Tiger Woods. Wish I lived closer, I would love to try out those ales.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2022 at 09:31
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Your website is looking great Steve. Really enjoyed the blurbs about local ales and Tiger Woods. Wish I lived closer, I would love to try out those ales.

Hey John thank you so much for these comments. There are some cracking ales at The Mansel and what would be great if you ever found yourself over here in Blighty, then all you have to do is call.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 12:49
Review of TFK By Royal Decree added, plus Pink Floyd re Ukraine. Hope to get the top ten of 2020 finished tonight, as over the weekend, I have a pile of gardening to get through, plus the pub, plus The Masters.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 13:23
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Review of TFK By Royal Decree added, plus Pink Floyd re Ukraine. Hope to get the top ten of 2020 finished tonight, as over the weekend, I have a pile of gardening to get through, plus the pub, plus The Masters.

Ohh great, interested in your TFK review. I've been spinning that album and I think it's an excellent pc of work.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 14:59
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Ohh great, interested in your TFK review. I've been spinning that album and I think it's an excellent pc of work.

I think some of it is, as the review makes clear. I would be interested in seeing your thoughts on it.

BTW, this is one of those album reviews where I am really glad I have not constrained myself by giving stars or ratings in numbers, because this one is challenging. I think when the album is excellent, it is mighty fine. However, there are parts I am really not liking at all. I think that describing this in words is far better than restricting oneself to having to give three or four stars and etc., and starting my site has made me far more understanding of the decision Jerry Ewing took to not have such ratings when Prog magazine started.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 17:55

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I think some of it is, as the review makes clear. I would be interested in seeing your thoughts on it.

BTW, this is one of those album reviews where I am really glad I have not constrained myself by giving stars or ratings in numbers, because this one is challenging. I think when the album is excellent, it is mighty fine. However, there are parts I am really not liking at all. I think that describing this in words is far better than restricting oneself to having to give three or four stars and etc., and starting my site has made me far more understanding of the decision Jerry Ewing took to not have such ratings when Prog magazine started.
I read the review, it's quite honest. From my media world, it's their second 3-LP release Smile

I enjoy it more than Islands and Waiting For Miracles. Lately I am more of a fan of TFK shorter pcs than the 25min epics, I don't mind them but this is a welcomed change. I sit and listen to them, I soak in the records and it becomes a very nice listen. 
You know the difference I think for me is that I have to get up every 20-25 min and flip the record and that gives me a couple minute break. I first played the 2-CDs and found myself wandering since it is non stop. For me I think there is some really great music on this album, I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

A reason I first came to PA was because I wanted to review albums, but then I found the process to cerebral with the ratings and all, it was too much thinking.....I really prefer a review of just words and no rating system. But that's me.......
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 01:53
I think a review has to be honest, otherwise the integrity of the reviewer is called into question. 

I think the strong points of this album are better than the preceding two, for sure. And we absolutely agree with each other regarding the short form - many bands can produce better music in six minutes than others in 20. Indeed, my main criticism of IQ’s Resistance was the fact that it was seriously overblown.

We were talking at the pub the other day about vinyl. I am jealous of you and my mate Paul, who has spent a fortune on his system. I couldn’t justify doing it and whilst I think the sound quality will always be better on that, I think the technology of digital formats and sound systems adequately fill my needs.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2022 at 15:12

I think a review has to be honest, otherwise the integrity of the reviewer is called into question. 

I think the strong points of this album are better than the preceding two, for sure. And we absolutely agree with each other regarding the short form - many bands can produce better music in six minutes than others in 20. Indeed, my main criticism of IQ’s Resistance was the fact that it was seriously overblown.

We were talking at the pub the other day about vinyl. I am jealous of you and my mate Paul, who has spent a fortune on his system. I couldn’t justify doing it and whilst I think the sound quality will always be better on that, I think the technology of digital formats and sound systems adequately fill my needs.
Ohhh yea, I have IQ Resistance bought the red vinyl variant on release. The good thing is it's worth more than dbl what I paid for it now, although I do struggle with the record now not as enjoyable as Road of Bones.

Well sound is one main reason, engagement, physicality, nostalgia, big a$$ artwork and fantastic packages as well. I have stated over and over that digital is theeee best way to capture a live recording in the studio. But what we as consumers end up getting once all the engineers do their thang' is not pleasing to the ear, for the most part with CDs and streaming files. And yes unless you wanna dump a load of cash on building a uber high-end digital playback system and spend $25-$50 on SACDs or DSD downloads it's really tough and expensive to enjoy digital. Very hard to explain analog LP playback, you really need to go in person and hear a system....I'm more than happy with my listening experience, besides chicks dig records!! Clap

36 Highlands Beatnik ideas | beatnik, beat generation, beatnik style

Edited by Catcher10 - April 09 2022 at 15:13
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2022 at 01:48
And Laz digs chicks! Big smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 13:48
Interview with Introitus from 2011 added, together with review of the new Tangerine Dream. 

New cds arriving in Lazland this morning were Dave Bainbridge and Jonas Lindberg and The Other Side. Will review after a few listens, but will hopefully post reviews sometime this week of Odin Dragonfly and Lalu
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 14:06
Have you heard Chronofonía’s album, Steve? I think you’d rather like it.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 14:54
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Hi Nick. No, I haven’t, but will be listening to this tomorrow afternoon. Sounds interesting, up my street, with some class guests, so thanks very much.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2022 at 06:31
Just a very quick update at lunchtime today, but I have added a very good interview with Fish which was in The Times of Malta today. Well worth a read - go to the Beer & News page.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2022 at 11:00
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

It really is excellent. I listened to it in full this afternoon, and will order the cd because this is rather special. Thanks Nick.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2022 at 14:34
New reviews of Burntfield and a classic by Lalu. Plus Beer of the Week.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2022 at 14:51
Wonderful stuff so far Steve, and I'm really enjoying all aspects of it. Especially the ale house expos, which has me pining for old Blighty in order to get a decent pint. This American piss doesn't cut it for me anymore, which is why I've turned to hard spirits. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Cheers.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2022 at 15:08

New reviews of Burntfield and a classic by Lalu. Plus Beer of the Week.

I knew you had the new review of Burntfield, because it was shared on FB by the band. 👍🏻

I like Burntfield, and pretty much most of the bands on the Progressive Gears label.

Glad you enjoyed Cronofonía. It’s a wonderful album.

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2022 at 15:10
Steve, I've just had a rummage through your site. Very well done sir, I shall certainly be going for more. Quite a professional look to it too - everything is large which helps old codgers like me.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2022 at 18:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Wonderful stuff so far Steve, and I'm really enjoying all aspects of it. Especially the ale house expos, which has me pining for old Blighty in order to get a decent pint. This American piss doesn't cut it for me anymore, which is why I've turned to hard spirits. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Cheers.
Generally I think European beer is far better than US, but recently two US beers came out that are not too bad. They are both dark winter time brews.
Breakfast Stout by Founders and
Dragons Milk by New Belgium
Not quite European standards, but still very good.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 37>