Print Page | Close Window

My New Blog

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Get The Word Out
Forum Description: Promote your Prog shop, website, concert, book or CD...
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=128723
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 08:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My New Blog
Posted By: lazland
Subject: My New Blog
Date Posted: March 28 2022 at 13:22
Given that this was initiated by a PM exchange with one of PA’s esteemed admins, I trust that the great and the good will allow me to announce to the (prog) world that I have, after much thought, decided to set up my own blog site, where I will, in future, publish my reviews and not here on Prog Archives.

The site is at www.lazland.org.

There are only a couple of album reviews at the moment, but one of them you will not see on PA because nobody wanted to add them to the site. In addition, there are book reviews, including Mark Kelly’s autobiography, and my top ten list for 2021.

It has taken me quite a bit of time to set this up and get it to something like the format I wanted (difficult as a bit of a technophobe), and I intend to update it with new reviews and new content at least twice weekly.

So, enjoy. Comments from PA colleagues are welcome. Just PM me - I will put some other contact details on the site shortly, including on Facebook. This will be an organic thing as I am still very busy with my day job and hectic social life, but I am pretty excited about it. Ego is a wonderful thing!

Enjoy!

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Replies:
Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: March 28 2022 at 13:58
^ Looks good! I'm not one who reads many reviews (not here not elsewhere), but I hope your blog will be read by many. Plug it here when there is something new! I also hope you will remain active here, because your contributions on these forums are much valued and appreciated.
Beer

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: March 28 2022 at 14:25
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Looks good! I'm not one who reads many reviews (not here not elsewhere), but I hope your blog will be read by many. Plug it here when there is something new! I also hope you will remain active here, because your contributions on these forums are much valued and appreciated.
Beer

Thank you, Kees. Yes I will carry on posting here. I just wanted the freedom to review and comment under my own rules and nobody else’s.

-------------

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: March 28 2022 at 14:44
Best of luck Steve. I will try to drop by when I get a spare minute and I will also put a link to your blog on JMA.

-------------
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 28 2022 at 20:25
Hi,

I'm looking up Mark Kelly's book now ... 

Many books reviewed, and check this link, and it has 3 sections, the bottom one being books of interest. The site also includes over 500 foreign film reviews with about 150 of them I have to redo by taking away the old settings.

https://pedrosena.com/musicreviews.htm

BTW, shouldn't the blog be moved to the BLOG section? I had not even thought about that, since it is not exactly a blog, but I suppose that all those reviews would make it a "blog" ... but I'm not sure that this site is as interested in film, theater and the musicians as artists.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 28 2022 at 20:47
Looks great so far. Will you be adding a comment section, or is that too labor intensive (given trolls, spam and what not)? Would have loved to drop a line. Congratulations!

P.S. My nearly-dear certainly-departed ex-wife is from Valetta.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: March 29 2022 at 00:13
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Best of luck Steve. I will try to drop by when I get a spare minute and I will also put a link to your blog on JMA.

Thanks John. I really appreciate that.

-------------

Date Posted: March 29 2022 at 00:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Looks great so far. Will you be adding a comment section, or is that too labor intensive (given trolls, spam and what not)? Would have loved to drop a line. Congratulations!

Thanks, Greg. I will be adding a “contact me” link probably at the weekend, mainly for artists wanting stuff reviewed, but also for anybody wanting to say anything about a review & etc. As far as a general comment section is concerned, so like a forum, that will require a lot more thought on my part. I will probably start adding a humorous “news of the week” section, but in terms of political comment I need to be very careful given my occupation and the fact that my name is on the site. Accepting some of the trolling comments that we see on PA, for example, could land me in some trouble, so I will probably keep it to the email address link and publish comments from friends such as yourself after I have had the chance to view them first (I know I don’t need to with you, but you take my point).

I didn’t realise you had been married to a Maltese lady. That photograph on my site is one of perhaps my favourite place in the world and where I want to spend far more time when I retire in a couple of years.

-------------

Posted By: Archisorcerus
Date Posted: March 29 2022 at 06:10
I'll check your site out, Steve! Hope it will be like this (see the image):

The Honesty Bookshops in Hay-on-Wye, Wales
FO-c-Hj0-X0-A0cgs-F

-------------

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: March 29 2022 at 06:29
^ We have an honesty bookshop like that in my village too, although not quite on the same scale as Hay-on-Wye. It only has one small shelf of books. Unhappy

Date Posted: March 29 2022 at 07:02
Here is my blurb for your site. It is a 'sticky topic' in our General Music section. 'Sticky' of course means it stays at the top of the list, it does not mean what some of you are thinking.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29543&title=new-progressive-rock-review-site" rel="nofollow - http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29543&title=new-progressive-rock-review-site

-------------
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 29 2022 at 08:29
Good luck Steve, and smooth sailing.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: March 29 2022 at 09:45
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Thanks, Greg. I will be adding a “contact me” link probably at the weekend, mainly for artists wanting stuff reviewed, but also for anybody wanting to say anything about a review & etc. As far as a general comment section is concerned, so like a forum, that will require a lot more thought on my part. I will probably start adding a humorous “news of the week” section, but in terms of political comment I need to be very careful given my occupation and the fact that my name is on the site. Accepting some of the trolling comments that we see on PA, for example, could land me in some trouble, so I will probably keep it to the email address link and publish comments from friends such as yourself after I have had the chance to view them first (I know I don’t need to with you, but you take my point).

I didn’t realise you had been married to a Maltese lady. That photograph on my site is one of perhaps my favourite place in the world and where I want to spend far more time when I retire in a couple of years.
I think you are on the right track here. Nobody likes trolls and political propaganda.

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2022 at 13:51
Updated tonight with Tull and BBT reviews, plus a contact button if anybody wants to reach me.

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2022 at 13:54
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

I'll check your site out, Steve! Hope it will be like this (see the image):

The Honesty Bookshops in Hay-on-Wye, Wales
FO-c-Hj0-X0-A0cgs-F

I love that. Hay on Wye is simply divine.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: March 30 2022 at 16:39

Given that this was initiated by a PM exchange with one of PA’s esteemed admins, I trust that the great and the good will allow me to announce to the (prog) world that I have, after much thought, decided to set up my own blog site, where I will, in future, publish my reviews and not here on Prog Archives.

There are only a couple of album reviews at the moment, but one of them you will not see on PA because nobody wanted to add them to the site. In addition, there are book reviews, including Mark Kelly’s autobiography, and my top ten list for 2021.

It has taken me quite a bit of time to set this up and get it to something like the format I wanted (difficult as a bit of a technophobe), and I intend to update it with new reviews and new content at least twice weekly.

So, enjoy. Comments from PA colleagues are welcome. Just PM me - I will put some other contact details on the site shortly, including on Facebook. This will be an organic thing as I am still very busy with my day job and hectic social life, but I am pretty excited about it. Ego is a wonderful thing!

Enjoy!
Very cool my friend and kudos to you for doing this, quite an undertaking I am sure. Will go and check it our for sure Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2022 at 00:21
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Enjoy!
Very cool my friend and kudos to you for doing this, quite an undertaking I am sure. Will go and check it our for sure Thumbs Up

And I can confirm that the “Contact Lazland” button works! Thanks José!

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2022 at 09:21

Enjoy!

And I can confirm that the “Contact Lazland” button works! Thanks José!
Handshake

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2022 at 11:54
Updated with interviews with Three Colours Dark, Panic Room, Edison’s Children, and Sylvan. In addition, real ale of the week and news of the week.

Next album reviews, hopefully uploaded tomorrow, will be Nordic Giants and Toundra.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2022 at 14:34
 Updated with the start of a new project to list my top ten albums for all years. 2021 completed tonight, and will look to do this at least once a week until I get to 1969. There are links to tracks and I have included reviews.

New book review, The Best Catholics In The World, real ale of the week, and a sports news post re Tiger.

Presently listening to new TFK, Tangerine Dream, and The Foxholes to review in the next week, I hope.

Bloody hard work this blog malarkey!

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2022 at 15:48
Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 07:37
Your website is looking great Steve. Really enjoyed the blurbs about local ales and Tiger Woods. Wish I lived closer, I would love to try out those ales.

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2022 at 09:31

Your website is looking great Steve. Really enjoyed the blurbs about local ales and Tiger Woods. Wish I lived closer, I would love to try out those ales.

Hey John thank you so much for these comments. There are some cracking ales at The Mansel and what would be great if you ever found yourself over here in Blighty, then all you have to do is call.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2022 at 12:49
Review of TFK By Royal Decree added, plus Pink Floyd re Ukraine. Hope to get the top ten of 2020 finished tonight, as over the weekend, I have a pile of gardening to get through, plus the pub, plus The Masters.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2022 at 13:23

Review of TFK By Royal Decree added, plus Pink Floyd re Ukraine. Hope to get the top ten of 2020 finished tonight, as over the weekend, I have a pile of gardening to get through, plus the pub, plus The Masters.

Ohh great, interested in your TFK review. I've been spinning that album and I think it's an excellent pc of work.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2022 at 14:59

Ohh great, interested in your TFK review. I've been spinning that album and I think it's an excellent pc of work.

I think some of it is, as the review makes clear. I would be interested in seeing your thoughts on it.

BTW, this is one of those album reviews where I am really glad I have not constrained myself by giving stars or ratings in numbers, because this one is challenging. I think when the album is excellent, it is mighty fine. However, there are parts I am really not liking at all. I think that describing this in words is far better than restricting oneself to having to give three or four stars and etc., and starting my site has made me far more understanding of the decision Jerry Ewing took to not have such ratings when Prog magazine started.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2022 at 17:55

I think some of it is, as the review makes clear. I would be interested in seeing your thoughts on it.

BTW, this is one of those album reviews where I am really glad I have not constrained myself by giving stars or ratings in numbers, because this one is challenging. I think when the album is excellent, it is mighty fine. However, there are parts I am really not liking at all. I think that describing this in words is far better than restricting oneself to having to give three or four stars and etc., and starting my site has made me far more understanding of the decision Jerry Ewing took to not have such ratings when Prog magazine started.
I read the review, it's quite honest. From my media world, it's their second 3-LP release Smile

I enjoy it more than Islands and Waiting For Miracles. Lately I am more of a fan of TFK shorter pcs than the 25min epics, I don't mind them but this is a welcomed change. I sit and listen to them, I soak in the records and it becomes a very nice listen. 
You know the difference I think for me is that I have to get up every 20-25 min and flip the record and that gives me a couple minute break. I first played the 2-CDs and found myself wandering since it is non stop. For me I think there is some really great music on this album, I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

A reason I first came to PA was because I wanted to review albums, but then I found the process to cerebral with the ratings and all, it was too much thinking.....I really prefer a review of just words and no rating system. But that's me.......

-------------

Date Posted: April 09 2022 at 01:53
I think a review has to be honest, otherwise the integrity of the reviewer is called into question. 

I think the strong points of this album are better than the preceding two, for sure. And we absolutely agree with each other regarding the short form - many bands can produce better music in six minutes than others in 20. Indeed, my main criticism of IQ’s Resistance was the fact that it was seriously overblown.

We were talking at the pub the other day about vinyl. I am jealous of you and my mate Paul, who has spent a fortune on his system. I couldn’t justify doing it and whilst I think the sound quality will always be better on that, I think the technology of digital formats and sound systems adequately fill my needs.

-------------

Date Posted: April 09 2022 at 15:12

I think a review has to be honest, otherwise the integrity of the reviewer is called into question. 

I think the strong points of this album are better than the preceding two, for sure. And we absolutely agree with each other regarding the short form - many bands can produce better music in six minutes than others in 20. Indeed, my main criticism of IQ’s Resistance was the fact that it was seriously overblown.

We were talking at the pub the other day about vinyl. I am jealous of you and my mate Paul, who has spent a fortune on his system. I couldn’t justify doing it and whilst I think the sound quality will always be better on that, I think the technology of digital formats and sound systems adequately fill my needs.
Ohhh yea, I have IQ Resistance bought the red vinyl variant on release. The good thing is it's worth more than dbl what I paid for it now, although I do struggle with the record now not as enjoyable as Road of Bones.

Well sound is one main reason, engagement, physicality, nostalgia, big a$$ artwork and fantastic packages as well. I have stated over and over that digital is theeee best way to capture a live recording in the studio. But what we as consumers end up getting once all the engineers do their thang' is not pleasing to the ear, for the most part with CDs and streaming files. And yes unless you wanna dump a load of cash on building a uber high-end digital playback system and spend $25-$50 on SACDs or DSD downloads it's really tough and expensive to enjoy digital. Very hard to explain analog LP playback, you really need to go in person and hear a system....I'm more than happy with my listening experience, besides chicks dig records!! Clap

36 Highlands Beatnik ideas | beatnik, beat generation, beatnik style

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2022 at 01:48
And Laz digs chicks! Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: April 11 2022 at 13:48
Interview with Introitus from 2011 added, together with review of the new Tangerine Dream. 

New cds arriving in Lazland this morning were Dave Bainbridge and Jonas Lindberg and The Other Side. Will review after a few listens, but will hopefully post reviews sometime this week of Odin Dragonfly and Lalu

-------------

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: April 11 2022 at 14:06
Have you heard Chronofonía’s album, Steve? I think you’d rather like it.
https://homerecordsbe.bandcamp.com/album/cronofon-a" rel="nofollow - https://homerecordsbe.bandcamp.com/album/cronofon-a

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: April 11 2022 at 14:54
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

https://homerecordsbe.bandcamp.com/album/cronofon-a" rel="nofollow - https://homerecordsbe.bandcamp.com/album/cronofon-a

Hi Nick. No, I haven’t, but will be listening to this tomorrow afternoon. Sounds interesting, up my street, with some class guests, so thanks very much.

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 06:31
Just a very quick update at lunchtime today, but I have added a very good interview with Fish which was in The Times of Malta today. Well worth a read - go to the Beer & News page.

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2022 at 11:00

It really is excellent. I listened to it in full this afternoon, and will order the cd because this is rather special. Thanks Nick.

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2022 at 14:34
New reviews of Burntfield and a classic by Lalu. Plus Beer of the Week.

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2022 at 14:51
Wonderful stuff so far Steve, and I'm really enjoying all aspects of it. Especially the ale house expos, which has me pining for old Blighty in order to get a decent pint. This American piss doesn't cut it for me anymore, which is why I've turned to hard spirits. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Cheers.

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2022 at 15:08

I knew you had the new review of Burntfield, because it was shared on FB by the band. 👍🏻

I like Burntfield, and pretty much most of the bands on the Progressive Gears label.

Glad you enjoyed Cronofonía. It’s a wonderful album.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: April 14 2022 at 15:10
Steve, I've just had a rummage through your site. Very well done sir, I shall certainly be going for more. Quite a professional look to it too - everything is large which helps old codgers like me.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Date Posted: April 14 2022 at 18:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Wonderful stuff so far Steve, and I'm really enjoying all aspects of it. Especially the ale house expos, which has me pining for old Blighty in order to get a decent pint. This American piss doesn't cut it for me anymore, which is why I've turned to hard spirits. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Cheers.
Generally I think European beer is far better than US, but recently two US beers came out that are not too bad. They are both dark winter time brews.
Breakfast Stout by Founders and
Dragons Milk by New Belgium
Not quite European standards, but still very good.

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2022 at 03:04

Thanks Steve. John has pointed you to some potentials below to enjoy. I write this on Good Friday morning ever so slightly hungover - it was darts night last night, and I had far too many.

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2022 at 03:06

I knew you had the new review of Burntfield, because it was shared on FB by the band. 👍🏻

I like Burntfield, and pretty much most of the bands on the Progressive Gears label.

Glad you enjoyed Cronofonía. It’s a wonderful album.

Thanks Nick. I joined FB the other day specifically to get in touch with bands such as Burntfield. They sent me a nice message in response to mine. The first attempt was with Lalu, but I think I cocked that one up LOL 

There really is some fantastic stuff out there and that is the purpose of my site to celebrate that.

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2022 at 03:07
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Steve, I've just had a rummage through your site. Very well done sir, I shall certainly be going for more. Quite a professional look to it too - everything is large which helps old codgers like me.

Thanks Chris. Glad you like it - loads more to come! Us “old” 57 year olds have to stick together!

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2022 at 09:59

Generally I think European beer is far better than US, but recently two US beers came out that are not too bad. They are both dark winter time brews.
Thanks John. I will definitely check them out.

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2022 at 14:47
Album reviews 2022 revamped to make navigation easier. Beer & News page updated with some sports stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2022 at 09:25
Top 10 of 2018 added, plus a fresh book review (Quentin Letts, Stop Bloody Bossing Me About).

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2022 at 11:18
Bank holiday in Dear Old Blighty today, so lots of stuff added. Here goes.

1. Review of Jonas Lindberg and The Other Side new album, which incredibly has not had any reviews on PA. It is a damned fine effort
2. Review of new Odin Dragonfly which is not even on the site
3. New feature, namely Video Of The Week on the homepage, this week having as its star Merry Hell, a folk band from NW England. This feature will be prog, folk, punk, anything I enjoy at the time, really. No rules, see, aside from the fact I have to like it!
4. Beer of the week added. Nice one, too.

This evening, we are going to watch the Jimmy Saville doc on Netflix, and dependant upon what I see, I might post something about that in the week.

Enjoy.

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2022 at 13:55
Top 10 albums of 2017 added together with bloody good photo of the week added to Beer & News. For click bait purposes, let me just state it is of two birds………..

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2022 at 14:55

Top 10 albums of 2017 added together with bloody good photo of the week added to Beer & News. For click bait purposes, let me just state it is of two birds………..

Great tits?

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2022 at 15:18

Great tits?

Bloody big ‘un’s!Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2022 at 16:01
Just had a look, and they are big ‘uns, aren’t they? 😱

-------------

Date Posted: April 21 2022 at 00:14

Just had a look, and they are big ‘uns, aren’t they? 😱

Indeedy! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2022 at 09:20
Album Reviews of 2022 updated with reviews of Inner Prospekt and Salva.

Beer and News Page updated with a restaurant review.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2022 at 10:00
I love restaurant reviews, even if there is no chance of me going there. No ale, thats not cool, but I'm not sure what a 'smart bar' is.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2022 at 12:40

I love restaurant reviews, even if there is no chance of me going there. No ale, thats not cool, but I'm not sure what a 'smart bar' is.

Without having visited the page yet to read the review, I would assume it is a bar that looks smart. Generally bars that look smart don’t serve the beers I don’t like to drink, so I don’t tend to frequent them.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2022 at 13:00

Without having visited the page yet to read the review, I would assume it is a bar that looks smart. Generally bars that look smart don’t serve the beers I don’t like to drink, so I don’t tend to frequent them.

Yes, it is, indeed, a very fine looking bar, as opposed to an artificially clever or one that serves decent beer bar.

BTW, I had a choice of four different ales this evening, and it was rather difficult to choose an ale of the week. I might need to expand this to ales of the week! Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: April 23 2022 at 13:04
Steve, did you go and see Karnataka at Pontardawe Arts Centre last night?

Not sure whereabouts in Carmarthenshire you are, but being as it must be on your door step, I was wondering whether you'd be posting a review if you went?

Date Posted: April 23 2022 at 13:12

Yes, it is, indeed, a very fine looking bar, as opposed to an artificially clever or one that serves decent beer bar.

BTW, I had a choice of four different ales this evening, and it was rather difficult to choose an ale of the week. I might need to expand this to ales of the week! Tongue
I'll go with a dumbass bar if it has some good beer.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2022 at 13:19

If it doesn't sell at least a couple of good quality real ales (preferably local), then it isn't worth walking in to...

Date Posted: April 23 2022 at 14:46
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Steve, did you go and see Karnataka at Pontardawe Arts Centre last night?

Not sure whereabouts in Carmarthenshire you are, but being as it must be on your door step, I was wondering whether you'd be posting a review if you went?

No, I didn’t go Jared. I actually found out about it a couple of weeks ago, but we had arrangements to see a couple of friends before that, so we couldn’t go. It was a real shame, because Pontardawe is only about 20 minutes up the road. BTW, as a point of interest, it is where the choir on Roger Waters Radio KAOS was recorded. 

Hopefully, Ian and Karnataka will be fully functioning again and it will not be too long before we get the opportunity to see them.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2022 at 14:46

If it doesn't sell at least a couple of good quality real ales (preferably local), then it isn't worth walking in to...

Word!

-------------

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: April 23 2022 at 15:27

This is hooey. There are plenty of craft brewers in The States that have better beer than Europe/UK. Founders brewery was mentioned - try the KBS series. WinkGreat Divide brewery is superb. Granted, you won't get the charm and smells that an old ale house provide, but most of the craft beer I partake in is excellent.

BTW, cool website. 

Date Posted: April 24 2022 at 01:54
It’s a matter of taste, and so long as we recognise that it is a subjective opinion of what is better, it’s not hooey. I find British beers more to my taste than US beers, so I can say I find them better. That doesn’t mean I don’t like US beers, and obviously because I don’t live in the US, what US beers I have tried is only a small percentage of what is available.

But I have had a lot of NZ craft beers, and a lot of NZ brewers tend to take after the US style of craft brewing than the UK, which does give me a little more basis on which to feel more confident about saying I prefer UK style beers to US style beers.

The best beers I have tasted are either UK beers, or NZ beers in the UK style. I have tasted some mighty fine US beers, and NZ beers in the US style - but the best UK beers beat the best US (or US style) hands down.

The funny thing, to me, about UK and US beer styles is that it is similar to so much else between the two countries. The UK conforms to the stereotype of being subtle, and the US to the stereotype of being in your face. Depending on what flavour you like, and how you want to taste it, has a lot to do with whether one prefers UK or US beer.

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2022 at 05:03
Interesting conversation. I am a huge fan of classic real ale in the UK, but I am not particularly fond of many of the trendy “hipster” craft beers which have sprung up in recent times. My son very kindly purchased half a dozen of these from Cardigan for my Christmas present, and at least three of them were undrinkable. 

I like the beers of Malta a great deal, both the lager-like Cisk (perfect in the midday sun) and the more hoppy Hopleaf, a rather good ale and the only decent one I have had outside the UK.

My experience of American beer is very limited. I have never been there. All I will say is that I hate the corporate “beers” such as Budweiser and that bloody awful Canadian goose piss whose name I forget. However, I am absolutely confident that my very learned and tasteful friends here on PA will be drinking proper beers, brewed in proper ways.

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2022 at 05:30
Craft beer can mean quite different things in different countries. Certainly, in the UK, anything labelled craft, I tend to approach with a great deal of caution. There are a lot of UK craft beers that are not at all to my liking. It’s entirely possible (perhaps even probably) that people on either side of the Atlantic have vastly different ideas of what craft beer is.

Brewers have always experimented and innovated, but the difference between craft beer or not in the UK is often a similar difference between subtlety and over the top flavours that I already alluded to in the difference between many UK and US brewers. That doesn’t mean I don’t like it, by the way. There are some craft brews in the UK that I love, but they also tend to be the ones that may well have crossed the line, but haven’t left it too far behind.

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2022 at 05:50

My experience of American beer is very limited. I have never been there. All I will say is that I hate the corporate “beers” such as Budweiser and that bloody awful Canadian goose piss whose name I forget. However, I am absolutely confident that my very learned and tasteful friends here on PA will be drinking proper beers, brewed in proper ways.
If you ever make it to The States, I'm confident there are many brews you would enjoy. Those that say it tastes like piss aren't looking hard enough. There is enough variety to satisfy all tastes. I have never been to the UK, but I have drank plenty of Samuel Smith's, and Newcastle imports. Both good. I have been to several places in Europe, and drank several world renowned German, and other beers at the pub. All good, but nothing special to me. Tastes change and I stopped drinking IPA'S for many years but now enjoy them again. Stouts have always been a favorite to me. And now I'm enjoying several Burbon Barrel aged (minimun three years) ales that are amazing.

Anyway, cheers to good beer and good health.

Date Posted: April 24 2022 at 07:15

Craft beer can mean quite different things in different countries. Certainly, in the UK, anything labelled craft, I tend to approach with a great deal of caution. There are a lot of UK craft beers that are not at all to my liking. It’s entirely possible (perhaps even probably) that people on either side of the Atlantic have vastly different ideas of what craft beer is.
Craft beer to me is a brew with flavor, one that makes you notice and appreciate the art taken in the brewing process. I'm curious to know what brands of USA import beer are available in the UK? And of course beer, like everything, is subjective. One person's nectar is another's poison.

Date Posted: April 24 2022 at 10:03
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Craft beer to me is a brew with flavor, one that makes you notice and appreciate the art taken in the brewing process. I'm curious to know what brands of USA import beer are available in the UK? And of course beer, like everything, is subjective. One person's nectar is another's poison.

When people speak about US beer tasting like piss, they tend to mean the mass-brewed lagers like Bud - which do tend to be pretty gosh darn awful. I’m yet to taste one of those that I like. But lagers brewed by micro-brewers and craft-brewers tend to be full of flavour.

I’ve met a lot of US craft beer drinkers that find a lot of UK real ales flavourless and/or bland, simply because their palate is used to the full on flavours of so many US craft beers. When you say craft beer to you is a brew with flavour, then you seem to be leaning towards what I already said is the difference between UK and US tastes, when it comes to beer. Craft brewers definitely make you notice and appreciate the art taken in the brewing process - but UK drinkers tend to like subtlety, and US drinkers in-your-face. All taste for beer is subjective by nature, but that subjectivity can be affected by a number of things outside an individual’s control, and the brewing trends of where in the world one drinks is one such thing.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2022 at 10:56
Site updated with Top Ten Albums of 2016, new video of the week (classic Bowie), and beer of the week.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2022 at 12:07
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

This is hooey. There are plenty of craft brewers in The States that have better beer than Europe/UK. Founders brewery was mentioned - try the KBS series. WinkGreat Divide brewery is superb. Granted, you won't get the charm and smells that an old ale house provide, but most of the craft beer I partake in is excellent.

BTW, cool website. 
Don't take me too seriously. I just needed an excuse to switch to Irish whiskey. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2022 at 12:09
More primo stuff, Steve. Your blog has a become an early morning favorite!

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2022 at 12:51

More primo stuff, Steve. Your blog has a become an early morning favorite!

Thanks Steve, very much.

I think you will enjoy later this week my report of our”taproom takeover” by the founder of Evan Evans brewery. This was supposed to be last week, but somebody cocked up the beer delivery. Anyhow, we will be sampling five ales. I will be asking the missus to keep copious notes in case I become incapable of doing so! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2022 at 12:55

I will be asking the missus to keep copious notes in case I become incapable of doing so! LOL

Can't help feeling you've got a good one there, Steve! 

Date Posted: April 25 2022 at 13:09

I will be asking the missus to keep copious notes in case I become incapable of doing so! LOL

Can't help feeling you've got a good one there, Steve! 

Absolutely Jared. In all seriousness, I count my blessings each and every day.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2022 at 16:26
Sometimes I wish I was into this beer stuff more......Never was a big beer or alcohol guy, I have not a clue what all the jargon means. All I know is I tried a beer that was really dark colored and I about puked my innards, hideous tasting.....Dead

I can only drink beer that is very pale in color and that does not measure an 11 in bitter taste scale of 1-10. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 00:47

Sometimes I wish I was into this beer stuff more......Never was a big beer or alcohol guy, I have not a clue what all the jargon means. All I know is I tried a beer that was really dark colored and I about puked my innards, hideous tasting.....Dead

I can only drink beer that is very pale in color and that does not measure an 11 in bitter taste scale of 1-10. LOL

You’d quite possibly like some more UK-style beers. Definitely a lot of US brewers tend to focus on the hops and bitterness, and there are a fair few beers out there measuring at least 11 on a scale of 1-10.

But regardless of where you are drinking, there is an enormous difference in flavour profiles both between the various types of beer, and even within them. That difference is even greater when seen between geographic regions. Generally speaking, for example, I don’t particularly like UK brown ales, but I almost always love Belgian brown ales.

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 01:48

You’d quite possibly like some more UK-style beers. Definitely a lot of US brewers tend to focus on the hops and bitterness, and there are a fair few beers out there measuring at least 11 on a scale of 1-10.

But regardless of where you are drinking, there is an enormous difference in flavour profiles both between the various types of beer, and even within them. That difference is even greater when seen between geographic regions. Generally speaking, for example, I don’t particularly like UK brown ales, but I almost always love Belgian brown ales.

And to add to this, I cannot abide stouts or porters, the really dark ales. Guinness disagrees with just about every cell in my body. I will drink Newcastle Brown Ale if there is nothing else on tap, only the utterly undrinkable and disgusting keg creamflow processed bitters.

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 02:51

And to add to this, I cannot abide stouts or porters, the really dark ales. Guinness disagrees with just about every cell in my body. I will drink Newcastle Brown Ale if there is nothing else on tap, only the utterly undrinkable and disgusting keg creamflow processed bitters.

I love stouts and porters, but not Guinness. But then again, the Guinness you get in bars is nothing like any stout you’d get from a real ale brewer. Like the creamflow bitters, it has nitrogen added (to give it the creamflow), and it just tastes….meh. Newky brown disagrees with me as much as Guinness does with you. It’s the most horrendous example of a brown ale, and almost put me off the style entirely.

Probably because of what I grew up drinking, some of my favourite beers are UK ales brewed with NZ hop varieties, giving me flavours of the beers of both countries. Shepherd Neame makes some really nice beers using NZ hops, and one of them tastes very similar to one of my favourite NZ beers.

But really, I am no great connoisseur. I like loads of different beers from loads of different breweries across the country. So long as they don’t experiment too much with flavour (I don’t need a hazy ipa flavoured with guava, thank you very much), I tend to find some degree of enjoyment. What I do find frustrating, is when one brewery is bought up by another. My most local big brewer, Greene King, is the worst for this. As much as they might claim that the taste is the same, it never is. GK make some alright beers, and some of the beers they brew under the name of the breweries they’ve taken over aren’t too dissimilar - but there are some beers I really enjoyed before they became GK, that really don’t taste the same at all now.

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 04:23

I love stouts and porters, but not Guinness. But then again, the Guinness you get in bars is nothing like any stout you’d get from a real ale brewer. Like the creamflow bitters, it has nitrogen added (to give it the creamflow), and it just tastes….meh. Newky brown disagrees with me as much as Guinness does with you. It’s the most horrendous example of a brown ale, and almost put me off the style entirely.

Probably because of what I grew up drinking, some of my favourite beers are UK ales brewed with NZ hop varieties, giving me flavours of the beers of both countries. Shepherd Neame makes some really nice beers using NZ hops, and one of them tastes very similar to one of my favourite NZ beers.

But really, I am no great connoisseur. I like loads of different beers from loads of different breweries across the country. So long as they don’t experiment too much with flavour (I don’t need a hazy ipa flavoured with guava, thank you very much), I tend to find some degree of enjoyment. What I do find frustrating, is when one brewery is bought up by another. My most local big brewer, Greene King, is the worst for this. As much as they might claim that the taste is the same, it never is. GK make some alright beers, and some of the beers they brew under the name of the breweries they’ve taken over aren’t too dissimilar - but there are some beers I really enjoyed before they became GK, that really don’t taste the same at all now.

Yes, Bass has not been the same since it was taken over by Marstons. 

Re Shepherd Neame, the only one we see around here is Spitfire, which I have always liked. We did have a holiday in Kent a few years ago and sampled some different brews from them which were great.

With regard to nitrogen infested sh*te,absolutely. In fact, this will be the only question I will ask of politicians who come to m6 door grubbing for my vote in future - when will you ban this awful crap? Dead

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 04:26
Steve, I enjoyed the VM&J review. While not strictly prog, I enjoyed your take on this outside genre and it got me interested. Any chance of you doing a few non prog reviews in future. I'd love to read your take on an artist like Saxon. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 04:48

Steve, I enjoyed the VM&J review. While not strictly prog, I enjoyed your take on this outside genre and it got me interested. Any chance of you doing a few non prog reviews in future. I'd love to read your take on an artist like Saxon. Wink

Thanks Steve. In fact, it was the VM&J album which got me to set up the website in the first place. I had another of my occasional contretemps with PA Admin over them refusing to add them to the site. One of the great and the good suggested very kindly that I take my reviewing business elsewhere if I wanted to review them. So I did. He did me a huge favour by doing so, and I am extremely grateful because my site runs by my rules and is done my way. I answer to nobody barring the wife and the dog!

There most certainly will be non-prog reviews going forward, and funnily enough Saxon will be one of them, hopefully at the weekend. I am off work this week which means that I actually have less time to listen to music than usual - chores, gardening & etc. and I also have a couple of albums to listen to that Nick very kindly alerted me to.

Basically, the site is my vehicle to do what I want. Whilst I adore my prog, it is not the only genre or show in town.

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 05:15

Thanks Steve. In fact, it was the VM&J album which got me to set up the website in the first place. I had another of my occasional contretemps with PA Admin over them refusing to add them to the site. One of the great and the good suggested very kindly that I take my reviewing business elsewhere if I wanted to review them. So I did. He did me a huge favour by doing so, and I am extremely grateful because my site runs by my rules and is done my way. I answer to nobody barring the wife and the dog!

There most certainly will be non-prog reviews going forward, and funnily enough Saxon will be one of them, hopefully at the weekend. I am off work this week which means that I actually have less time to listen to music than usual - chores, gardening & etc. and I also have a couple of albums to listen to that Nick very kindly alerted me to.

Basically, the site is my vehicle to do what I want. Whilst I adore my prog, it is not the only genre or show in town.
I surmised that there was dissension in the ranks, but not this extent. Bully for you for striking out on your own.

-------------

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 05:19
Finally got a chance to peruse the Blog Steve, looks fantastic!.
My only question is...when are you going to resurrect your Birthday of the Day write-ups?
They were so good, I really miss them. I have a particular interest as the month of May approaches. Wink
You could rename one of your pages Beer, News and You's. Big smile

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 06:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Finally got a chance to peruse the Blog Steve, looks fantastic!.
My only question is...when are you going to resurrect your Birthday of the Day write-ups?
They were so good, I really miss them. I have a particular interest as the month of May approaches. Wink
You could rename one of your pages Beer, News and You's. Big smile

Ha! Thanks JD. Yes, I used to enjoy those birthday fun write ups. I couldn’t do one every day, but certainly one per week would be good. I will certainly cast an eye on the merry month of May Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 09:55

I could not for the life of me remember what it was, but I did enjoy some beer I had while in NZ, this was many years ago. Business trip for 2 weeks, the bulk on the south island in Blenheim, also in Otautau......I don't remember what it was though. Confused

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 09:57
^Then it must have been VERY good beer. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 10:00
^ Otautau! What kind of business takes you to Otautau? 😄

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 12:35

^ Otautau! What kind of business takes you to Otautau? 😄

Yea I hear ya!! LOL Forestry.....the oysters were good too.

-------------

Date Posted: April 26 2022 at 12:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^Then it must have been VERY good beer. LOL

Maybe so, the wine was much better Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2022 at 03:57
Reviews of new Saxon and t added to Album Reviews 2022.

By the end of the week, I will have done a report on last night’s brewery talk and sampling night at the pub, with some exciting news about how friends will be able to order said beer!

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2022 at 04:10

By the end of the week, I will have done a report on last night’s brewery talk and sampling night at the pub, with some exciting news about how friends will be able to order said beer!
Fantastic! I'm brewing a pot of coffee (to be boosted with a liquore!) to get ready for some enjoyable AM reading. Wii get back with some comments!

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2022 at 10:49

Fantastic! I'm brewing a pot of coffee (to be boosted with a liquore!) to get ready for some enjoyable AM reading. Wii get back with some comments!

Thumbs Up Hug

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2022 at 10:59
Yes, getting to sample some of this beer sounds like a great idea. Reading about beer is kind of a tease isn't it.

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2022 at 02:32

Yes, getting to sample some of this beer sounds like a great idea. Reading about beer is kind of a tease isn't it.

Yes, indeed it is! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2022 at 05:39
Great stuff, Steve. Looking forward to more!

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2022 at 09:33
Okay, the beer news is up. I have redesigned the Beer and News Page to make navigation a bit easier. As far as the ales are concerned, you need to go to the Ale of the Week bit to discover how you can soon be enjoying class Welsh ale if you live overseas. In addition, a really worthy cause is placed on the Ukraine page - basically, you can enjoy beer whilst helping out our Ukrainian comrades.

Also, Top Ten of 2015 added.

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2022 at 11:50
Very much wanted to get that gluten free Ukraine beer, my girlfriend has been looking for a good gluten free beer. Unfortunately they only ship to the UK for the time being.

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2022 at 12:00

Very much wanted to get that gluten free Ukraine beer, my girlfriend has been looking for a good gluten free beer. Unfortunately they only ship to the UK for the time being.

I think that should change in the summer, John. I imagine it will be available on Amazon with the rest of them. 

I will, of course, post the news about Amazon when I get it.

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2022 at 12:42
Sounds good.

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2022 at 14:21

[EDIT] - basically, you can enjoy beer whilst helping out our Ukrainian comrades
Ok, now I know there is a familiar relationship between Ukraine and Russia, but using this term to describe Ukraine friends...that just seems wrong to me.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk