Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collaborative music project ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2022 at 02:25
Ha, well, well. many ways to skin a cat, JD. ;-) 

I shall retract my hasty comment. ;-)

Oh God, do I have to have a plan ? Well, I'll switch the synth on and see what comes out of it. If you've heard my stuff, I generally do Arabic / Middle eastern sounding stuff, generally weird scales, so I'll just put that on the website (eventually) and anyone who wants to contribute is more than welcome to send me something. 

So, no plan, really. I just like leaving things to evolve. As you say, it all starts with an idea...... ;-)

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2022 at 02:00
Just out of interest: I was going to do some Bob Calvert covers..... anyone here sing like Bob ? 

(And actually have a recording setup, singing into phones doesn't count.... ;-) ) 

Edited by Davesax1965 - April 12 2022 at 02:19

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2022 at 05:13
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2022 at 09:21
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Count me in as a keyboardist or vocalist Big smile

Thank God for that, no one wants to hear me sing. ;-)

Hi,

Why do you have to sing? 

Just do words, a sort of Robert Wyatt, and fly on the words alone as poetry.

to be honest, I'm sick and tired of singers. You would think that most of them would learn something BEYOND the notes, and the only real answer is ... no chance!

Make us cry and smile ... not because of the notes, but the quality of the words and how they are spoken or stated. It may have an amount of musicality to it, but sometimes, it is not necessary! Once we get off the idea of the "singer" and move on, I think any voice is just as good as the next. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2022 at 06:36
(facepalm)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2022 at 07:30

(facepalm)

Hi,

Not necessary. You've proved a lot with your amount of work. And singing, or word'ing (as I call it) is not something that you have given enough of a chance or tried. 

Just recently, I redid that Ygdrasil Poetry Magazine's monthly that I put together in May 1999 and I had to redo my own 2 poems. I have not liked my voice in these things, although when I read things out it feels alright. So I played the piece of music (with permission from the writer and author!!!) and redid the poems I originally had, and decided to concentrate on the words, and apply them better to the flow of the music ... and it came out way better than I thought, and the voice, "lived" well with the words, and it probably helped that this time, I "ditched" the poem idea, and just went into it with "total emotion" ... which fit things way better than before.

(.... https://www.academia.edu/73832614/Ygdrasil_JULY_2022_Audio_ISSUE_Edited_by_Pedro_Sena ... )

Sometimes, the "idea" of singing is the problem, because one thinks it needs this or that ... and if you throw that away, go to the bathroom and say the words to the mirror while shaving, you won't become Harry Secombe, and don't have to, but you will in due course find a way for the words to flow that sounds alright ... and is much better, and not weird, as you thinking of singing something!

Try it ... some improvisation actually works, on voice, even though musicians are so married to their scales they can't even move without getting slapped in the face for looking at another ... scale. (PDQ Bach joke!)

Edited by moshkito - April 13 2022 at 07:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2022 at 09:07
Mosh - "wanted, singer"
means "singer wanted".

If I wanted something other than a singer, I'd ask for it. :-)

Thanks for the input, though. 

Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 13:48
Hello Dave and all...

I'm a newb, but it didn't take long to realize that this forum is chock full of musicians and other creatives... goes with the territory for sure!

Anyway... so found this part of the forum, and then this thread.

Just wondering if anything came of this?

Speaking of Reaper, NINJAM is an interesting way to jam, if anyone's familiar with it? It takes a bit of getting used to and it's not the same as being in a room, but definitely a way that creative ideas can be hatched.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2023 at 11:26
I use Audacity Audacity 3.2.1
(someone I know uses another program, and the alignment is screwed up)

What I'd like to do is send a drum track with some "skin" (rhythm piano/guitar) and then have people add on to it.. Have a few different versions. I've done it, and the more you work together, the more better it becomes in every way. WeTransfer.com is a great free site I use where you can send files back and forth.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2023 at 22:25
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I use Audacity Audacity 3.2.1
(someone I know uses another program, and the alignment is screwed up)

What I'd like to do is send a drum track with some "skin" (rhythm piano/guitar) and then have people add on to it.. Have a few different versions. I've done it, and the more you work together, the more better it becomes in every way. WeTransfer.com is a great free site I use where you can send files back and forth.

Ideally, there shouldn't be any alignment problems between DAWs if things are done right.

Exporting tracks in mp3 can be a problem since mp3s do not have accurate start/end times. flac or wav is best.

Many DAWs do automatic time-stretching to project tempo, which can have weird results with files that aren't loops (and often hard to detect just by listening). As long as this behaviour is turned off when tracks are imported, there shouldn't be any problems.

Much as I respect Audacity as a very capable program, and excellent considering it's free, I couldn't personally see myself doing any in-depth production with it. I do use it for certain things, but most people have their own preferences for DAW and tend to get used to what they're working with. Hence cross-platform import/export is a must really.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 10:56
I'm not sure I could contribute anything, I like writing lyrics, but I'm not great LOL, I'm not sure I could help in any way, shape or form, but this would be great to hear!
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 16:10
I have a feeling that if I were to contribute to this, I would be summarily dismissed because my thoughts are kind of "out there." Unless this group is interested in making a wall-of-sound instrumental of noise about giant ducks that smell like libraries? 

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 17:35

JD, I hate to break it to you gently, but I don't think any album in the history of prog rock has been written by a lyricist. ;-) 

Just to interject, I would suggest, in a wholly formative and abstract manner, Peter Sinfield. He even came up with the name "King Crimson".
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 19:00
I would offer that Instrumental thing I made, but it's already slated for a spotify release (as a demo) and I'm planning to use it for personal use. Any other way I can be useful, message me
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 06:25
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

JD, I hate to break it to you gently, but I don't think any album in the history of prog rock has been written by a lyricist. ;-) 

Just to interject, I would suggest, in a wholly formative and abstract manner, Peter Sinfield. He even came up with the name "King Crimson".

The Poetess that wrote a lot of stuff for RENAISSANCE.
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2024 at 08:39
A shame that nothing ever came out of this, it could be very interesting. People could use a site like Bandlab to create it as well. I really hoped this would happen

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2024 at 15:43
Anybody using mixcraft? We could start with somebody making a single instrument track, about 3 minutes long. Let's say a drumloop. Then the first bassist who lands in this thread adds his bass line, then guitar, keys, vocals and so on. Let's limit it to no more than 8 tracks in total and see what we can produce.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2024 at 17:06
Then if this works out, we could make an album, now that would be really fun!

I'd happily write lyrics, but I am no vocalist. 

What software should we use? 

Bandlab or Mixcraft? 

They seem to be pretty similar, Bandlab you can have multiple people working on the same song at once, all contributors, it's pretty cool. That way you don't have to send audio files to people via email or PM here and such. 

Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2024 at 17:34
Funny - I just joined bandlab yesterday -- I was actually trying to sneak a backdoor into the old legacy cakewalk forums, but that didn't pan out.... so obviously this was the real reason, little did I know!

My main instrument is guitar, but can do a bit of everything... well, I mean: bass, drums, synths, programming, production... can even sing reasonably although it depends on the material :)

Who's gonna start us off? I could assemble a pretty nice drum track around 3 mins... are we staying 'prog' or what?

Who's on-board any what instruments do you play?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2024 at 17:35
I'll happily start us off, PM me if you'd like in, I can send people the link

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>