Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your fave Miles Davis Fusion albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your fave Miles Davis Fusion albums?
    Posted: November 01 2022 at 16:00

I just listened to Dark Magus and thought, this thread would be a nice idea, 
 so here are mine (live included):

Bitches Brew   (1970)

Live/Evil   (1971)

Dark Magus  (1977(1974))

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2022 at 16:25
Such an amazing, seminal period.  Can't pick one, plus the many artists & projects he inspired like Hancock, Williams, McLaughlin, Cobham, Coltrane.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2022 at 16:42
Miles @ Filmore 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2022 at 17:35
Much preferred Miles' bebop or cool albums.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2022 at 23:40
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Such an amazing, seminal period.  Can't pick one, plus the many artists & projects he inspired like Hancock, Williams, McLaughlin, Cobham, Coltrane.

Totally agree with you.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 06:52
Miles Davis – Live Around The World.  This album contains a song which was Miles' last recorded 'live' performance.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 07:26
I've got a quartet sharing the top spot: Bitches Brew, Big Fun, Get Up With It and In A Silent Way - whichever one of those I'm listening to will be my favorite.

These "proto-fusion albums are excellent too: Water Babies, Filles De Kilimanjaro and Miles in the Sky (which was recorded in the same era, but not released until 1976).

Also the hour of fusion you'll find on the odds & end compilation Circle in the Round is fantastic - and that goes for Directions as well!

Among the studio albums I'm not crazy about On the Corner and Tribute to Jack Johnson. The rest is gure gold.

-Except for Live-Evil I've grown out of love with his 1970's live albums. Or I've admitted to myself that their not for me. I can see why rockers find them attractive, but to me it's too harsh and abrasive and lacking in lyricism and atmosphere. Hard funksessions with not much happening in tems of chord progressions tc... is really not my bag. Besides Miles himself was so out of shape on those mid 70's live sets, that it's occasionally painful to listen to for that reason alone.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 07:59
"Get Up With It"
"Big Fun"
"Agharta"
"Pangrea"
"Live Around the World"

Also lots of earlier stuff, particularly "Birth of the Cool" and "Water Babies".
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 09:40
Silent
Bitches
Evil
Tribute
Fun
Corner

(+/- in chronological order)

BTW, Agartha a bit as well (Magus & Panaea are simply too dark and out there for me)

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I've got a quartet sharing the top spot: Bitches Brew, Big Fun, Get Up With It and In A Silent Way - whichever one of those I'm listening to will be my favorite.

These "proto-fusion albums are excellent too: Water Babies, Filles De Kilimanjaro and Miles in the Sky (which was recorded in the same era, but not released until 1976).

-Except for Live-Evil I've grown out of love with his 1970's live albums. Or I've admitted to myself that their not for me. I can see why rockers find them attractive, but to me it's too harsh and abrasive and lacking in lyricism and atmosphere. Hard funksessions with not much happening in tems of chord progressions tc... is really not my bag. Besides Miles himself was so out of shape on those mid 70's live sets, that it's occasionally painful to listen to for that reason alone.

Basically I agree on what I didn't edit out.
Filles & Sky are his better second quintet albums and (especially Sky) paved the way for Silent Way.

I must say that I also agree that the 74/5 live recordings haven't aged well with me, though I was into them in the late 80's.

Edited by Sean Trane - November 02 2022 at 09:48
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 13:06
In the same way that Abbey Road foresaw all that would happen in 1970s rock and pop, In a Silent Way did exactly the same for 1970s jazz and fusion.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 13:55
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Silent
Bitches
Evil
Tribute
Fun
Corner

(+/- in chronological order)

BTW, Agartha a bit as well (Magus & Panaea are simply too dark and out there for me)

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Basically I agree on what I didn't edit out.
Filles & Sky are his better second quintet albums and (especially Sky) paved the way for Silent Way.

I must say that I also agree that the 74/5 live recordings haven't aged well with me, though I was into them in the late 80's.
I know I'm probably a minority in regards to not loving On the Corner or Jack Johnson, but how come you don't enjoy all the amazing fusion stuff to find on Circle in the Round and Directions?   

Btw: I mixed up the Water Babies and Miles in the Sky-titles. The former obviously being the one released eight years after it was recorded.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 16:44
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

In the same way that Abbey Road foresaw all that would happen in 1970s rock and pop, In a Silent Way did exactly the same for 1970s jazz and fusion.

very farsighted! Big smile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 17:51
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

(Magus & Panaea are simply too dark and out there for me)

I have to admit that I only listen to the first half, as the second one is too far out for me as well. 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 05:32

A very good book about Jazz-Rock/Fusion is Stuart Nicholson's Jazz-Rock: A History (1998), of course also containing chapters 
about Miles Davis and references to his work throughout the whole book.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 12:53
Prefer the earlier HardBop, Modal stuff from Miles. I tend to stop at Bitches Brew, once the electric guitar, bass and piano started becoming more common in jazz, I'm not a big fan.
All of Herbie's hardbop stuff is so much more inventive than the fusion/rock stuff....for me.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 13:22

very interesting with all the different points of view

Edited by David_D - November 05 2022 at 14:34
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 08:39

A significant quote from the book mentioned above:

"For at least two years prior to Bitches Brew, jazz-rock had been bubbling beneath the surface, but the style needed 
someone of sufficient stature to "sanction" the dawn of a new era. Just as Joe "King" Oliver, Louis Armstrong, 
Bennny Goodman, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, and Ornette Coleman had come to personify areas in jazz history, 
so Miles Davis would come to signify the era of jazz-rock fusion. Consequently Davis would be credited with "inventing" 
the genre, and, thanks to his standing within the jazz world, he would also be acknowledged as establishing 
the new music's "legitimacy"." 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 10:12
^No doubt Miles was an innovator, but I'm not a fan of his fusion output.

It could be said that Chuck Berry invented rock n roll, yet I like other rock musicians/bands more than Chuck.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2022 at 06:52
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^No doubt Miles was an innovator, but I'm not a fan of his fusion output.

It could be said that Chuck Berry invented rock n roll, yet I like other rock musicians/bands more than Chuck.

Well, I could also tell that there's quite a lot of Jazz-Rock fusion I'm more fond of than Miles Davis' - maybe except from Bitches Brew

Edited by David_D - November 20 2022 at 04:24
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2022 at 05:19

But it looks to me like Miles' fusion work is less popular around here than I imagined.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>