Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Rock Timeline: 1989

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
12 [23.08%]
1 [1.92%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.92%]
1 [1.92%]
5 [9.62%]
3 [5.77%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.92%]
1 [1.92%]
7 [13.46%]
7 [13.46%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.85%]
1 [1.92%]
1 [1.92%]
1 [1.92%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.62%]
3 [5.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 10:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe has always been a genuine YES album to me too - even though it doesn't include Chris Squire - in just the same way as The Quest (2021) and Mirror to the Sky (2023) are bona fide YES albums, even though the only original member is Steve Howe. My favourite YES album by far is The Quest, although some may say my heart is in the wrong place. Tongue

That's the beautiful thing about YES.  Every album can end up as your favorite.  Depends on the fan.  
I adore The Big Generator and ABWH.  Some folks dig Drama.  Other's go for the Quest.  I imagine "Mirror to the Sky" will wurm it's way into the hearts of others. 

Of course ABWH is a genuine YES album.  How many musicians have been members of YES?  ABWH had four members from it's Fragile/CTTE line up. Like Meat Loaf said, "Two out of three ain't bad"... if true, then Four out of five must be much better. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 04 2023 at 10:45
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 10:47
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Of course ABWH is a genuine YES album.  How many musicians have been members of YES?  ABWH has four members from it's Fragile/CTTE line up. Like Meat Loaf said, "Two out of three ain't bad"... if true, then Four out of five is much better. 

How is it genuine when even the musicians did not release it under the Yes name?! 
I read long ago that it was released under ABWH out of respect for Chris Squire, because he had been the heart and soul of the band, the driving force behind it. I can understand that. 
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 10:48
ABWH. Always liked Brother of Mine, Birthright and Order of the Universe. Teakbois is bad, like Circus of Heaven bad. The rest is decent enough though. I listened to the album often when it first came out. Solid effort overall.

Tears for Fears is not really Prog, but this was a good pop album. Kings X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska is the best album they did. They deserved a bigger stage than they ever received.

I have Rush's Presto, but it's a mediocre album. It's part of a run of mediocre releases by Rush that began with Hold Your Fire.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 10:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Of course ABWH is a genuine YES album.  How many musicians have been members of YES?  ABWH has four members from it's Fragile/CTTE line up. Like Meat Loaf said, "Two out of three ain't bad"... if true, then Four out of five is much better. 

How is it genuine when even the musicians did not release it under the Yes name?! 
I read long ago that it was released under ABWH out of respect for Chris Squire, because he had been the heart and soul of the band, the driving force behind it. I can understand that. 

I defer to Shakespeare-  "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 11:07

I defer to Shakespeare-  "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

again, the project was called ABWH, let's leave it as that. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 11:11

I read today that Squire instructed his lawyers to not let ABWH use the "Yes" name. I like the ABWH album but Bruford's snare sound spoils it for me. Tears For Fears album is good but there's nothing really prog about it so I'm going for ABWH.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 11:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I read today that Squire instructed his lawyers to not let ABWH use the "Yes" name.

Totally different from what i read... Definitely a wtf moment here... LOL
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 11:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I read today that Squire instructed his lawyers to not let ABWH use the "Yes" name. I like the ABWH album but Bruford's snare sound spoils it for me. Tears For Fears album is good but there's nothing really prog about it so I'm going for ABWH.

Correct. There was a lawsuit that was filed to prevent ABWH from using the name "Yes" in any of its promotional material for the tour. In June, 1989 a U.S. District Court Judge ruled in ABWH favor they could refer to their heritage and material to promote the tour.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 11:35

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

1. Tears for Fears
2. Kenso
3. Isidurs Bane
4. Outer Limits
5. Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe
Sorry Paul, but your #1 is pretty laughable top Progressive Rock album for 1989, even considering it's based on Wikipedia's timeline. Embarrassed
The Seeds of Love is the only 5-star album for me in this poll, so it was an obvious choice for the #1 slot, although it'd be a Mad World indeed if Tears for Fears were classed as a prog band here at ProgArchives. Still, stranger things have happened. Wink

Thanks for your explanation, Paul, and sorry again for getting a bit angry, but to me it's a matter of respect for Progressive Rock. Smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 13:19
ABWH > Saga > Tears for Fears > Marillion > Rush.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 13:33

^ Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe has always been a genuine YES album to me too - even though it doesn't include Chris Squire - in just the same way as The Quest (2021) and Mirror to the Sky (2023) are bona fide YES albums, even though the only original member is Steve Howe. My favourite YES album by far is The Quest, although some may say my heart is in the wrong place. Tongue

That's the beautiful thing about YES.  Every album can end up as your favorite.  Depends on the fan.  
I adore The Big Generator and ABWH.  Some folks dig Drama.  Other's go for the Quest.  I imagine "Mirror to the Sky" will wurm it's way into the hearts of others. 

Of course ABWH is a genuine YES album.  How many musicians have been members of YES?  ABWH had four members from it's Fragile/CTTE line up. Like Meat Loaf said, "Two out of three ain't bad"... if true, then Four out of five must be much better. 
Yes indeed! Four out of five ain't bad at all, but whenever I hear people say present-day YES is a pale imitation of classic YES, I feel every day a little sadder, maybe even a little madder, someone get me The Ladder album instead. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 14:34
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Thanks for your explanation, Paul, and sorry again for getting a bit angry, but to me it's a matter of respect for Progressive Rock. Smile

The positive side of it, I take you a bit seriously. Big smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 16:11
Thinking Plague > Ozric Tentacles > ABWH
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 17:20
So many great albums here but I gotta go with my favourite Metal band Fates Warning.
Next five in no order are by:
King's X
Marillion
Djam Karet
Art Zoyd
Thinking Plague
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 18:54
1. KING'S X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska (about as perfect a rock album as one can imagine) / DJAM KARET Reflections from the Firepool (a masterpiece) (tie)
2. KENSO Sparta / FATES WARNING Perfect Symmetry (tie)
3. OZRIC TENTACLES Pungent EffulgentDREAM THEATER When Dream and Day Unite (tie)
4. NUOVA ERA Dopo L'Infinito / ART ZOYD Nosferatu (tie)
5. RUSH Presto / ANDERSON, BRUFORD, WAKEMAN, HOWE (they're not consistent as previous releases, but have some fine songs) (tie)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2023 at 08:19
ABWH
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2023 at 08:41
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

ABWH

Seems pretty popular!!
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2023 at 09:38
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

ABWH

Seems pretty popular!!

It does, although that might also be because not enough of the other releases are known or considered strong or are as mainstream Prog audience. It definitely does have fans, but a very middling rating at PA (3.19) with 399 ratings. If it weren't a Yes album essentially, let me rephrase that, almost a Yes album in various ways essentially, then I wonder how popular it would be (like if Univers Zero came out with that -- I tend to think Univers Zero might be more popular than it is)
I don't mind it (even quite like it), and am not surprised that people like it, I'm just more into other stuff from the time -- not just so-called avant prog like Cardiacs' On Land and in the Sea (which should have been the representative but darned wiki bad timeline) and Thinking Plague, but more mainstream music like The Cure's Disintegration for instance.
Two Tracks Per Many of My Fave Acts: A Youtube Playlist
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2023 at 15:00
This was a great period for me musically - I was late teens and getting heavily into rock music. King’s X were my favourite band at this time and could do no wrong in my eyes!

But Faith No More with The Real Thing would have been a very strong contender this year too. And Can’t Look Away by Trevor Rabin - and I had no idea at the time that he had been involved with Yes….
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
woelfman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woelfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2023 at 19:13
I have to go with Marillion>Fates Warning>Jethro Tull>Rush>ABWH.  Not a great year for prog.  However, Season's End is my favorite post-Fish Marillion album and imho probably equal to the Fish-era albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>