Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1980s' other Progressive Rock than Neo-Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 09:07

^ At least, not all true dinosaur albums. Big smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 09:53
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

There was plenty of good music around in the late-1980's. 

I'd say, there was a lot of good music in the whole '80s. Actually, it's my second favourite all-music decade next after the '70s, and not least thanks to various kind of Punk. Tongue

Edited by David_D - October 28 2023 at 11:01
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 10:11
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

There was plenty of good music around in the late-1980's. 

I'd say, there was a lot of good music in the whole '80s. Actually, it's my second favourite all-music decade next after the '70s, and not least thanks to various kinds of Punk. Tongue
Yes, and if you add Neo Prog and Synth-Pop/New Wave to the equation too, it more than doubles the amount of good music there was around in the eighties. Thumbs Up
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 10:20

Yes, and if you add Neo Prog and Synth-Pop/New Wave to the equation too, it more than doubles the amount of good music there was around in the eighties. Thumbs Up

Certainly yes! ....or at least for the Poppers. Tongue

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 10:47

There was plenty of good music around in the late-1980's. We just didn't know where to find it without the Internet. Smile

For instance, out of that 1989 albums list above, the only three albums I knew of before joining ProgArchives were by Kate Bush, Tears for Fears & Vangelis. Embarrassed

Yeah, but we"re talking about good music (prog or not)TongueEvil SmileLOL

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 13:27

But when talking about Prog Metal in the late-'80s, I finally today, after a year and many listenings, got almost into Voivod's 
Nothingface, which I'm not so little happy about, as I've had my doubts but have been much up to being able to do it. Tongue
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 13:33
Did anyone mention Bob Fripp's amazing League of Gentlemen? 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 13:40
As long as I'm on a Bob-Fripp-1980's tear, let's not forget his impressive work with Andy Summers!!

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 16:24
Reissues are again required for both Fripp/Summers albums!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 23:24
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Reissues are again required for both Fripp/Summers albums!

Thanks for reminding me of their second album, "Bewitched!" 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 23:51
The Police were actually close to becoming a prog band in my eyes when they stopped (perhaps thats the reason!). Andy Summers (ex Soft Machine) and Stewart Copeland (ex Curved Air) had already touched on the genre outside of this band. Shame they didn't continue although Sting did a crossover jazz fusion album Bring On The Night which is quite fun. IMO!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 03:47

I guess it won't surprise you, Paul, when I say that surely not all the albums you list would get the stamp from me as 
"proper Progressive Rock", even they're approved by Wikipedia. Wink
No, me neither. .....

5 stars 1989: Tears for Fears - The Seeds of Love

I wish, Paul, you had more respect for the OPs and for the strong feelings, I think not so few of us have for Progressive Rock as a genre, because at least for me, it is not easy to accept the way you act.

Edited by David_D - October 29 2023 at 13:11
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 12:22

Thank you very much for some good discussion here. Smile

Edited by David_D - October 29 2023 at 13:10
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 01:11
I'm still on a Bob Fripp tear!  

The album by the Roche sisters featured Bob Fripp and Tony Levin.  Fripp's guitar work on this song is sublime. 

I find this music rarely acknowledged in prog land.  Sorry, 1979, oh well! 

Edited by cstack3 - October 30 2023 at 01:13
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 04:54
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I know there is a "conspiracy" TongueLOL on PA to rehabilitate the 80's as a normal (good) decade, by seeing the amount of 80's polls series in the last two years of the forum, but the 80's still sucked because of its second half. Of course, the weak start (81 to 85) didn't help either.

I could mention a tracks "conspiracy" and a couple more. Big smile

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 06:55
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The album by the Roche sisters featured Bob Fripp and Tony Levin.  Fripp's guitar work on this song is sublime. 

It doesn't look Prog to me, either.  Wink

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 20:34

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

It doesn't look Prog to me, either.  Wink

Compared to what, exactly?  Did you listen to Fripp's guitar work in any of those clips? 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 06:47

I guess it won't surprise you, Paul, when I say that surely not all the albums you list would get the stamp from me as 
"proper Progressive Rock", even they're approved by Wikipedia. Wink
No, me neither. .....

5 stars 1989: Tears for Fears - The Seeds of Love
I wish, Paul, you had more respect for the OPs and for the strong feelings, I think not so few of us have for Progressive Rock as a genre, because at least for me, it is not easy to accept the way you act.

No comments, Paul?

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 11:34
Tears For Fears were 'Art rock' but then so was Kate Bush. Both were equally important and both were a massive respite from so much dismal over produced 80's shyte from artists with zero talent. 
If we dismiss Seeds Of Love as not being worthy of the tag 'prog' then we can equally dismiss The Sensual World IMO.
The idea of 'crossover prog' is just a massive deceit imo. Basically a bunch of artists that we randomly like or don't like that didn't make commercial driven music.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 18:27

The main point here concerning Tears for Fears is that they are not included in PA, and thus are not considered to be Prog by PA. 
So if to respect my OP, the band should not be listed, neither if to respect the PA rules for Progressive Music Lounges. Personally, 
I consider The Seeds of Love to be Pop-Rock, and so do Paul, I think.

Edited by David_D - October 31 2023 at 18:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>