Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1980s' other Progressive Rock than Neo-Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 19:05
^ I suggest not getting too hung up about it. I've thought about revising that, which was written back in 2005, for a long time. It was agreed on before 2010 that not every band/artist mentioned in the Prog forums need be included in PA, but that the emphasis should be on ones that have been deemed Prog by the site. I think most recognise that being included in PA does not make an act or album Prog, and not being in PA does not mean that it is not. It is there partially to make things simpler for moderators because a lot of stuff IS put in the wrong forum, and then moving lots of topics is a hassle, and we don't always have time to check or know if something is Prog, or argue the case. While it may have been determined that common sense is not as common as once thought, nor as sensible perhaps, the general idea of to trying to use it is advisable, and a little compromise can make people generally happier.

That said, you can set the rules of your threads as you wish (within the general expectations of what is proper at PA), and I will deal with ones often that break certain rules (abuse), but one only has much control over ones own topics often or the people who post there. A thread you start does not belong to you and I think it helps to focus on that which you appreciate more than that which you don't (hopefully one would not wish to come across as the complaining type, better to be easy-going methinks). One suggestion I might like to add to the rules is, in different words, "Try to not to get too anal about things, and most of all, have fun!"

On a personal note, I tend to think of albums and songs as Prog more so than acts themselves per se as many acts will play a range of styles. Of course not being ale to tag albums is limitation of this site.

Have you tried the Progressive Ears board? I just wonder if it might satisfy you more.

And actually, I don't consider that Tears for Fears album to be Prog, but a kind of art pop-rock.

Maybe I'll present a list here of albums that I deem Progressive Rock enough after I have done the 80-84 part of my topic series. There will be Swans' Children of God, various Art Zoyd and Cardiacs albums, various RIO, Codona, Thinking Plague, This Heat etc. etc. I love the 80s, especially if one is not limited to Prog, but then I really love every decade from the 60s up and so none are weak for me. I think I become more of a "glass half full" kind of guy the older I get.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 23:40
^ good comments. I feel that the 80's was a wasteland for 'true prog' (or more traditional prog bands). The late seventies punk/new wave purge mostly saw to that until bands and artists started to take power back from the record companies and record producers that wanted to control everything. The 90's was much better from our genre's point of view. As someone who lived through it (the 80's) I concentrated on artists that had something about them and certainly Tears For Fears stood out. There are many others as well of course but I believe it's way to subjective to make a distinction between the styles of so many diverse bands (ie some are prog or not). I looked through Paul's posts and certainly didn't seem too much that is out of place. His knowledge is sound and he has now dropped the whole everything after 1979 is neo prog thing thankfully!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 03:15
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I'm still on a Bob Fripp tear!  

The album by the Roche sisters featured Bob Fripp and Tony Levin.  Fripp's guitar work on this song is sublime. 

I find this music rarely acknowledged in prog land.  Sorry, 1979, oh well! 
It doesn't look Prog to me, either.  Wink
Compared to what, exactly?  Did you listen to Fripp's guitar work in any of those clips? 

The Roches are not included in PA. 

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 03:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Tears For Fears were 'Art rock' but then so was Kate Bush. Both were equally important and both were a massive respite from so much dismal over produced 80's shyte from artists with zero talent. 
If we dismiss Seeds Of Love as not being worthy of the tag 'prog' then we can equally dismiss The Sensual World IMO.
The idea of 'crossover prog' is just a massive deceit imo. Basically a bunch of artists that we randomly like or don't like that didn't make commercial driven music.

I've always disliked the Xover prog name - I would've much prefered Progresive pop (which RYM uses in their descriptions)

TBH, even if I preferred TFF to almost any 80's pop bands (along with Talk Talk), I still think it's too borderline to be included in PA, but the later wouldn't be in if it wasn't for their last two albums that started Post Rock. TFF and TT (or T2, but that would be confusing with the 70's trio) were miles above similar bands like Duran2, FoS, The2, Visage, 80's Ultravox and 80's Split Enz (though both these bands were much more interesting in their earlier albums), Human League, etc; and all of these electro-pop that were exposed on MTV, mire because of their sense of fashion than gpor their musical talents.

The main point here concerning Tears for Fears is that they are not included in PA, and thus are not considered to be Prog by PA. 
So if to respect my OP, the band should not be listed, neither if to respect the PA rules for Progressive Music Lounges. Personally, 
I consider The Seeds of Love to be Pop-Rock, and so do Paul, I think.

No need to be more catholic than the sinister JP2 or more ayatollish than Khomeini (to list 80's arseholes).
I never that it was a crime de lèse majesté to discuss (as in comparing) un-prog stuff in the prog chambers of our palace.

Yesssss, we know PP thinks of himself as facetious (we don't Sleepy), but I also list non-prog stuff in my lists - especially when it comes to those dreadful 80's. Hell I even listed Violent Femmes' debut in my list.

We all accept that Dire Straits is listed in those prog lists, despite DS not being in our DB. So why take offense in TFF?

Edited by Sean Trane - November 01 2023 at 03:54
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 04:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I suggest not getting too hung up about it. I've thought about revising that, which was written back in 2005, for a long time. It was agreed on before 2010 that not every band/artist mentioned in the Prog forums need be included in PA, but that the emphasis should be on ones that have been deemed Prog by the site.

To put it in short, I'd say we need to keep the PA rules because if we don't, then the strongest ones decide everything, including the means which are used. Cry
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 04:07

<snip>, <snip>, <snip>....

The Roches are not included in PA.

I'm soooooooooooo terribly, incredibly, hopelessly fed up with your prog definition fundamentalism....
And since I'm not a very unique person, I think I'm not the only one.

I guess, I hope, but I'm not sure, that you haven't read Logan's very polite post here above. It is so polite that maybe the message wasn't clear.

STOP BOTHERING EVERYBODY WITH YOUR PROG DEFINITION FUNDAMENTALISM !

You are not PA's Morality Police !

In 20 minutes in three different threads you are harassing the forum users with your dogmatic attitude. Please stop it

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 05:27

Det kalder jeg at tale med STORE BOGSTAVER, while Paul would ask if it's an eye test. Big smile

Edited by David_D - November 01 2023 at 06:12
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 05:42

But I'm afraid that this more drama won't make siLLy puPPy haPPy. LOL

And can we at least afterall agree that "my" threads tend to have many readers? Big smile

Edited by David_D - November 01 2023 at 05:59
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 08:31
^ Not to go from a Silly Puppy to a Snarky Puppy, but train wrecks and disasters generally get lots of views.

David, like it or not, what I described is the way things have worked for many years here, and a decision was made on this through an agreement with Admin before 2010. One issue with rules and guidelines is that they tend to be written as more black and white than is desirable because nuance is hard to get for some, some people will tend to bend the rules to the point of breaking them, give an inch and they'll take a mile sometimes, and subjectivity does come into play. Those original rules were ultimately agreed on and written by the select few, admin ratified, so one might say that the strongest ones decided everything.... Except that there have been discussions on site issue involving numerous people and suggestions have been welcomed as long as people are not trying to "force" the issues. We have not wanted this forum to become a free-for-all and at the same time we want to try to be accommodating and flexible to an extent.

I have received complaints about your behaviour, and I wanted to try to gently step in to explain things and suggest curbing your behaviour. Please stop harping on about it, and there was no need to bring it up cross topics. If you care about the perception of this forum, that does not help improve its look.

One of my favourite sentences in the Site Rules and Guidelines topic is "This is a very relaxed and inclusive forum. These rules and guidelines are intended to help you to get the most out of it. We hope you will enjoy your time with us."
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 11:43

For different reasons, I won't continue this discussion here.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 12:39

Have you tried the Progressive Ears board? I just wonder if it might satisfy you more.

I'm afraid, if I left the PA forum, you would miss me too much. Big smile
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 12:42

I'm still on a Bob Fripp tear!  

The album by the Roche sisters featured Bob Fripp and Tony Levin.  Fripp's guitar work on this song is sublime. 

I find this music rarely acknowledged in prog land.  Sorry, 1979, oh well! 

Fantastic song. I will have to check out the album. Clap
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 13:09
Did anyone mention Tribute yet? Very good Swedish band from that decade. They were in the symph direction but not neo.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 14:37

Yeah, I would miss you. But interesting to compare forums.

While I like lots of albums I deem Prog from the 80s, I will highlight just two now: Eskaton's 4 Visions and Jean-Paul Prat's Masal. Masal remains an underrecognised/ underheard Prog album, imo, that is awesome.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 14:43
Both great
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 15:01

Yeah, I would miss you. But interesting to compare forums.

Actually, I've done it, but I don't find Progressive Ears to be more interesting, on the contrary.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 15:22
^Yeah, PA would be less interesting without you, David. Also, I was banned from PE, so it's no longer of interest to me.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 15:58
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Yeah, PA would be less interesting without you, David.

thanks  Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 16:46

While I like lots of albums I deem Prog from the 80s, I will highlight just two now: Eskaton's 4 Visions and Jean-Paul Prat's Masal. Masal remains an underrecognised/ underheard Prog album, imo, that is awesome.

I've never heard this before. Embarrassed I like!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 05:50

If you care about the perception of this forum, ....

I have to admit, I love Progressive Rock more than PA, so that is much my starting point. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>