Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aphrodites Child-666 or Soft Machine-Third

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [36.11%]
16 [44.44%]
2 [5.56%]
1 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 12:18
Greece 12 points
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 12:58
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Greece 12 points

No, that's 8 points for Greece and 12 pounds (I mean points) for England. Wink I must have SEBTP on the brain. Tongue
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 14:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Aphrodite's Child, by far.

Not a jazzy person huh? Wink

Tell that to all the jazz/fusion in my collection. LOL

AC has the better album. Why did you make this oddball poll?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 14:43
Originally posted by Zappastolethetowels Zappastolethetowels wrote:

Just to point out - that record was the poster child for the exhibiting excesses of Prog (for a while there) - turning many casual fans away in the process.

I doubt it, since Aphrodite's Child weren't a household name.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 14:54

It's what I do. Deal with it! Tongue
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 15:23

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Greece 12 points

No, that's 8 points for Greece and 12 pounds (I mean points) for England. Wink I must have SEBTP on the brain. Tongue

:-)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:15

If somebody shouldn't be familiar with the story behind 666, this quote from The Bible may help:

"Anyone who has intelligence may interpret the number of the beast. It is a man's number. This number is 666."
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:18

It's what I do. Deal with it! Tongue

At least be familiar with the music. LOL
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:21

Why did you make this oddball poll?

This thought has occurred to me too. Big smile

Edited by David_D - November 12 2023 at 16:27
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:23
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

If somebody shouldn't be familiar with the story behind 666, this quote from The Bible may help:

"Anyone who has intelligence may interpret the number of the beast. It is a man's number. This number is 666."

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:52
PE homie, the albums don't have to be similar to have a poll on them. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 12 2023 at 16:55
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2023 at 12:25
Just can’t compare them IMHO. Far too different but both great. I voted both equally
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2023 at 12:56
Hi,

From a writing/creative standpoint, I would think that AP's album is the more important of the choices, and it should be mentioned that the father of progressive music, is the person that produced, as he did so many other things that helped start up what we know today. The listing Mr. Gomelsky put together in his years (and ears!), is insane and I'm not sure anyone will ever get that close. Check out the Wiki listing, if you have the time, for a listing that you will go ... wow ... you gotta be kidding me. The guy obviously had a special ear for music that many of us don't.

SM's album is another story and a part of the scene in England that ended up being considered "Canterbury". However, unlike the composed material by AP, SM's was a live thing, and not quite composed, and that is where RW's name for his book came from ... "Different EVery Time" ... and it might be hard to not imagine that during that album or within a concert. SM, was, however the set/bunch of folks that were all around Kevin Ayers, whose family owned the house that many people came and went, including movie folks, music folks and literary folks ... something that we are not capable or willing to give credit for it helping the "development" of what we ended up calling "progressive music".

"Tonite We All Love in London" is the special that gives a really good look at the time in London, and then we have to realize how many of these folks were coming and going in that house. Daevid Allen mentioned it a lot, but he stuck to the literature guys and did not say much else. But the comments by others heard in the film, say a lot about what the music ended up doing ... or as Lee Marvin says ... "go ahead girl ... show it ..." which all in all was the sentiment about the arts as well ... just do it! 

And many did!

Within this context, SM's album will be more important, though AP's album was more reflective of a different atmosphere in Europe, which was not exactly "commercialized" like things ended up being in London, and then everywhere else, though similar ideas were also alive in LA, SF, NY, Tokyo, Paris and many other places.

I'm not sure both albums should be competing with each other. I believe they both were a part of our inner self, coming out and waking up ... and as such, this is very important.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2023 at 14:46

PE homie, the albums don't have to be similar to have a poll on them. Wink

Anyway, I'm happy about being able to vote for 666, and Soft Machine ain't bad to get in focus, either.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2023 at 09:54
SM

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2023 at 14:17
Soft Machine
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2023 at 14:19
Love both
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 00:03
"666"
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 04:25
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12