Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-Collabs Best of 2023

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-Collabs Best of 2023
    Posted: December 01 2023 at 10:16
Time again for the non-collabs picks for best albums of 2023. If any are released this month that deserve inclusion I'll update my list. Listed in order of most to least faves. Great year for prog!

1. Rascal Reporters - The Strainge Case of Steve
2. Eyeless Owl - Murmurations
3. Mike Keneally - The Thing That Knowledge Can't Eat
4. Marco Minnemann - Their Colors Fade
5. Mats Öberg - Visa från Inneröra
6. Hiromi - Sonicwonderland
7. Matteo Mancuso - The Journey
8. French TV - A Ghastly State Of Affairs
9. Ok Goodnight - The Fox and the Bird
10. Haken - Fauna
11. The Filibuster Saloon - Going Off Topic
12. Zopp - Dominion
13. Amoeba Split - Quiet Euphoria
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 10:27
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 10:33
LOL, I was preparing a similar topic when you posted this. Mine is for collabs and non-collabs. Would people please post their lists in this topic as well with a given format? https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132143

We have wanted to open the AOTY up to all of our community, and had been planning on the topic for a couple of days. I don't want it to take away from this one, but that other one is intended to aid in an official Prog Archives Album of the Year tally.

Edited by Logan - December 01 2023 at 11:05
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 11:40
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I don't want it to take away from this one, but that other one is intended to aid in an official Prog Archives Album of the Year tally.
It does take away from this one, and you essentially killed this thread.

So, when will the results be posted? And are collab and non-collab votes equal?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 11:45
Sorry, but I had started preparing that quite some time ago and had not seen this thread at the time as I was writing it. This was already the plan to include all in the process and just had the mind to get it done now. I was going to post the thread yesterday, and got caught up in some other stuff. Sorry you went to the effort of preparing this one, although this one can still work for non-collabs specifically and for people who want to present lists in the way that, say, Paul did. I hope you don't mind and will present your list in the Prog Archives AOTY thread as one of the contributors.

Yes, votes are equal. And we don't have fixed date yet, but the earlier the better. I think February might work.

Edited by Logan - December 01 2023 at 11:48
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 17:28
Hi,

So sad to not see T. A. P. listed anywhere.

Not voting. Don't see the point in voting for the same old goons that do not have anything new in their work!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 18:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Not voting. Don't see the point in voting for the same old goons that do not have anything new in their work!

^ You know you can just list it yourself in your own albums of the year. And as for taking part in the Album of the Year, as long as it is in Prog Archives, it's up to you to choose what you want. The results are tallied from people's lists. Mike of awesomeprog has utility to use for the purpose. SO if you were to choose to vote for the same old goons that have nothing new in their work, that's on you. It's your list. I';m wondering if you misunderstood the point of these and how they work.

Edited by Logan - December 01 2023 at 18:02
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 00:13
^^ Yes, of course T.A.P. are available for voting! I did not vote for them simply because there are so many great releases this year that you can't cover all with just 20 votes. Which is why we need more participants Smile
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 01:44
^ What is T.A.P.?
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I';m wondering if you misunderstood the point of these and how they work.
The only thing preventing me to conlcude that "yes yet again Moshkito has misunderstood the point" - is that to misunderstand something, you have to make an actual effort to understand first.

-and old goons with nothing new, Moshkito? If you've actually listened to all the albums posted here by others, I'm sort of impressed. But my guess is that you're simply projecting.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 02:40
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

-and old goons with nothing new, Moshkito? If you've actually listened to all the albums posted here by others, I'm sort of impressed. But my guess is that you're simply projecting.

Hi,

Not really. I've listened to, easily, 75 to 80% of all the stuff listed, and somehow ... at the end of the day, I did not feel that I had heard a lot of "progressive" music ... that stood out. A lot of the stuff listed is the "same" in my ears, and then we wonder why 50 years later we're still finding out about bands that we did not bother listening to THEN ... we're doing the same thing right now.

I don't dislike (despite what some of you think!!!) some of the old goons ... I just don't find them as exciting and neat as some other stuff out there. Plain and simple.

IF, I knew what "projecting" was, I might consider saying something. I have posted and written comments on the many new things this year and am still posting some more stuff on one of the threads. There is a lot of neat stuff ... but while BBT is a nice band ... it really is no longer as important as we think, but everyone runs to them (and many others) like bees. It's downright scary ... that we say we're progressive listening folks, and we go back to the "same thing" ... it's downright crazy and silly.

I maybe the old fart, but your farts are not smelling any better! Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 23:50
Sadly I agree about BBT although I love them. They have created their own brand though and they aren't suddenly going to become something different having been around for nearly 30 years in one form or other. You can either take or leave them at your convenience. 

Post Reply Post Reply