Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ELP Underrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 15:44
^WTF are you talking about? Wacko
This was NOT proof that I met someone or saw someone. It was a hand made labour of love from my folks who knew they were my favourite band.
I'm getting ready to give up on this site altogether. Cry

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 16:07
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

This was NOT proof that I met someone or saw someone. It was a hand made labour of love from my folks who knew they were my favourite band.

Please don't pack in JD. That was just Mosh being Mosh. It's we that should be jealous that we don't have such awesome gifts from our parents. My father left me his Merle Haggard records when he moved out. Now that would make any prog fan depressed.

Edited by SteveG - April 11 2024 at 16:13
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:23
Was my favorite band back in the 70's . 
 BSS and after sounds dated now.
 The prior earlier records don't sound dated.
Except for benny the bouncer

Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:27
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Please don't pack in JD. That was just Mosh being Mosh. It's we that should be jealous that we don't have such awesome gifts from our parents. My father left me his Merle Haggard records when he moved out. Now that would make any prog fan depressed.

How can you possibly not LOVE this?  lol, When I was young, I lived on a reservation in Washington State for a year and a half.  They loved them some Merle.

Edited by Valdez1 - April 12 2024 at 11:31
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:49

Don't leave.  I just posted a Merle Haggard video.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 12:03
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

How can you possibly not LOVE this?  lol, When I was young, I lived on a reservation in Washington State for a year and a half.  They loved them some Merle.

Noooo! Confused

Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 15:06
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

One of the first vinyl albums I ever bought, and still my favourite ELP album Smile

EMERSON LAKE &amp;amp; PALMER Emerson Lake &amp;amp; Palmer reviews

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 15:33
First I thought the bathmat was caviar. Then I thought it was a cake.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 11:14
I like ELP, but they've never grabbed me like most other bands. Maybe it's because they have no fixed guitarist (beyond Greg Lake sometimes playing), and the heavy emphasis on keyboards. Also, no separate lead singer to front the band, not that that is necessary. Their music is good, but I could easily fit their most worthy material onto one full CD. Maybe also it's that trio aspect that I find lacking. Of the hundreds of bands I listen to, I don't think I have any favorites who are trios. Four members adds such a bigger dimension and seems like the minimum number. Oh well.

Edited by Boojieboy - April 15 2024 at 11:17
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 17:48
The reliance on keyboards is both their strength and weakness. Probably why Yes became bigger and more recognised over time after they added a keyboardist that matched Emerson. However in 1970 the world needed a band to get the most out of the prodigiously talented Keith Emerson and ELP was it. Could it have been better if a guitarist had joined? Without doubt but unfortunately that guitarist died the same year of a drugs overdose (after ELP had formed but I believe it could still have happened)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 18:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The reliance on keyboards is both their strength and weakness. Probably why Yes became bigger and more recognised over time after they added a keyboardist that matched Emerson. However in 1970 the world needed a band to get the most out of the prodigiously talented Keith Emerson and ELP was it. Could it have been better if a guitarist had joined? Without doubt but unfortunately that guitarist died the same year of a drugs overdose (after ELP had formed but I believe it could still have happened)
Excellent opinion and background on the band, Richard. And maybe one more reason. The money earned could go just as easily into 3 as would into 4.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 01:23

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Excellent opinion and background on the band, Richard. And maybe one more reason. The money earned could go just as easily into 3 as would into 4.

I suspect there is some truth in that as well. Keith Emerson's ego would also have been another reason not wanting to share the stage with another 'peacock' Smile
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 01:56
Yep, one of my favorite bands. The first four main albums only have two songs I would call true filler ("Are You Ready Eddy?" and "Benny the Bouncer"). Other than that, it's all peak classic Symphonic Prog. Emerson is one of the greatest musicians of all time, and is a true original. He developed a unique sound. His playing is instantly recognizable.
Criswell View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Criswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 09:01
[QUOTE=Floydoid]IMO all their album releases up to BSS (and possibly Works vol.1) are masterpieces of prog rock, and essential to the collection of any serious prog fan.

Concur 100%...a tremendous 5-album run up to BSS...
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 12:56
And quite possibly the greatest ever prog band that did away with lead guitar altogether (apart from the odd bit of acoustic by Greg - e.g. The Sage).
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 16:58
Greg Lake playing lead guitar in ELP:
Lucky Man
Battlefield (Tarkus)
From The Beginning
Still You Turn Me On
Karn Evil 9 1st Impression

Lake actually started as a lead guitarist but Robert Fripp asked him to play bass as lead was taken!
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 20 minutes ago at 13:44
I'm not saying they never used a lead guitar, but it was not the norm for them.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 37 minutes ago at 15:27
They are not underrated with me or my other prog friends....and the first 4 studio lps are all 4 star and the debut is the best......imho.
I never tire of hearing the debut...it's always fresh and beautiful to my ears.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 36 minutes ago at 18:28
ELP wasn't underrated in 1975.  But they're underrated now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123