Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTool ... are they really all that good ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Tool ... are they really all that good ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
58 [54.21%]
49 [45.79%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tool ... are they really all that good ?
    Posted: January 16 2007 at 23:36
Lets face it some bands like shall I say for example Fates Warning or Shadow Gallery and  several others have produced some great work  ! but you wont likely walk past the guy in your local shopping mall and see him wearing a fates warning T shirt nor will they sell them in K mart

Neil Peart From Rush said in the lyrics of the song Roll The Bones  (remember it ? it had that rap bit in the middle) " Good Work is the Key to good fortune"  He also said "sometimes the winner takes nothing"  I find so often in prog the later to be the most likely,   lets face reality progressive rock/metal must be a real turkey to try and market remember most mainstream music consumers don`t care about terms like counterpoint or rhythmic syncopation,  whats a Moog solo ? who needs a bell tree anyway ..   all they want is what their "friends" think is "cool" or something they can   4/4   dance to.

In History The artist has always been made suffer   

even Van Gogh once said when he was alive " if I could only get back the cost of the canvas"  

So  my question is do you feel the band Tool has had an easy go when we consider the output of their work and the quality overall ? 

are Tool really all that good ?  

Edited by Masque - January 17 2007 at 06:07
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 23:46
To answer your poll question; I have to say that Tool did some pretty amazing job on their albums ( Lateralus, Aenima, 10,000 Days). The creativity, great musicality and the appeal is there. I also don't think that they had an easy go with their albums. Though the ealier realeases did not do much for me.

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 23:53
Lateralus and Aenima are simply perfect masterpieces, worth every bit of praise they get and much moreApprove 10,000 Says is a bit weaker but it's still great. So yea, they're that good, at least I think so. A matter of personal taste really.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 00:05

Aenima is their only great album. All of the songs are concise and powerful, and it flows really well. Lateralus is good, but the songs seem to drag on for too long.

They're basically a King Crimson tribute band, they've even admitted it themselves. Practically all of their songs sound like some varation of "Easy Money", "Discipline", or a combination of the two.

Edited by Harry Hood - January 17 2007 at 00:10
smithers View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 02:30
Can't stand them
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 02:35
I've only started listening to Tool recently but Aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days are all great albums, I've not heard Opiate or Undertow yet, but I intend to as soon as I can find them for a decent price.

So yes in my opinion there are very good Thumbs Up
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 02:35
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Aenima is their only great album. All of the songs are concise and powerful, and it flows really well. Lateralus is good, but the songs seem to drag on for too long.

They're basically a King Crimson tribute band, they've even admitted it themselves. Practically all of their songs sound like some varation of "Easy Money", "Discipline", or a combination of the two.

they can't even pull off the crimsonic chord changes... all of their work seems to be rooted in one minor key with obvious transitions. Tool are very good at the rhythmic side of composition but for all that they'll never write anything a quarter as good as Fracture.

I like to listen to Tool from time to time. poetic sentence, no?
archivep View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 02:44
I´m not a big fan of Tool, but I think they are pretty good...
Personally prefer different kind of prog metal, more in traditional vein of DT, Fates Warning...

Think Tool are quite original, but definitely not my cup of coffee..

theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 03:15
No, they are not that good....THEY ARE EVEN BETTER!!! And that comes from a guy who listens mainly to sympho and rio...
dedokras View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 04:25
I think they are pretty good at what they are doing. Perhaps Aenima is the best of their albums, followed closely by Lateralus. Also, I think their debut ep Opiate is absolutely amazing , it is so energetic and aggressive (despite not so prog), much better than Undertow IMHO. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 05:15
I should probably listen to them more carefully. So far, I've only heard "Lateralus" and "10,000 Days". The former is rather good, though a bit samey; while I found the latter positively dull. However, as I said above, I can't say I have listened to either of them very often - which is in itself a rather bad sign as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't in any case go so far as to say they're worthless.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 05:32
yes, I think so...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
enteredwinter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 05:33
For several reasons, Tool gets a huge spotlight thrown on it. I guess some reasons might be that a) they're hugely popular, b) they take so long to put out a new album and c) many people (including myself and other posters in this thread) think that they peaked at Aenima.

I know, some people just don't like them much. That's fine. It's frustrating to see all the hate they get, though, considering that they're one of the few truly unique and innovative bands in prog-metal. The majority of bands in prog-metal sound like Dream Theater rip-offs, to me anyway.

Do they deserve all the hype and attention they get? Maybe not, but at least a talented prog band IS getting a lot of attention these days. The more people that listen to this stuff as opposed to, you know, Britney Spears or something, the better.
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 05:42
Originally posted by enteredwinter enteredwinter wrote:

For several reasons, Tool gets a huge spotlight thrown on it. I guess some reasons might be that a) they're hugely popular, b) they take so long to put out a new album and c) many people (including myself and other posters in this thread) think that they peaked at Aenima.

I know, some people just don't like them much. That's fine. It's frustrating to see all the hate they get, though, considering that they're one of the few truly unique and innovative bands in prog-metal. The majority of bands in prog-metal sound like Dream Theater rip-offs, to me anyway.

Do they deserve all the hype and attention they get? Maybe not, but at least a talented prog band IS getting a lot of attention these days. The more people that listen to this stuff as opposed to, you know, Britney Spears or something, the better.
I definitely don`t hate tool ,  I think what I am trying to say is I just don`t understand them. I agree with  your comments though it is good that at least some interesting band cause Tool are interesting I will give tham that ! are getting some attention  Smile

Edited by Masque - January 17 2007 at 05:43
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 06:04
At their best (Aenima, Lateralus) yes, they are that good. On the other releases they're quite good, but not groundbreaking.  What is definitely not that good about them is the lyrics (with a few exceptions). Do they sound samey? No.
Lex C View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 06:48
What you think of tool depends on what you think about Rhythm Bands.
You think we've developed fast that we're civilized and intelligent I'll let you in on a secret...We've developed things the rest is just knowledge passed on.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 07:05
  Tool... are they really that good? YES, they are. Listen to their music with an open mind. And you'll see.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 07:05
Originally posted by enteredwinter enteredwinter wrote:

For several reasons, Tool gets a huge spotlight thrown on it. I guess some reasons might be that
a) they're hugely popular, >> I like them enough to say that they are one of the top progmetal acts (along with Opeth)
b) they take so long to put out a new album and >> make the few that they have way too long
c) many people (including myself and other posters in this thread) think that they peaked at Aenima.  >> Of which I am, also.

I know, some people just don't like them much. That's fine. It's frustrating to see all the hate they get, though, considering that they're one of the few truly unique and innovative bands in prog-metal. >>> Innovative might be way too strong a word, here. Sounding slightly different therefore alternative is a better qualifying word? But they make albums too long. I believe that they should really make three albums of every two albums they made.

The majority of bands in prog-metal sound like Dream Theater rip-offs, to me anyway. >> DT was a Queensr˙che rip off anyway

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 08:23
Yes. I ain't Metal fan(neither Prog nor Alternative where TOOL seemed to belong) mostly ,but they're my favourite Metal band."10 000 Days" is The album of the year for me (glad to see it takes #5 in Collabs' choise).
The title track is simply a masterpiece.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 08:26
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

the funniest thing I heard in years.You should write for TV    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>