Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhilosophy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 17:54

there is no why, well just assume its right. Remember what socartes said; "Only a fool thinks he is right."

and if you disagree with said assumption lets hear your opinion?

Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 18:10

Apparently this was a question on a fourth year Philosophy exam at some university. The question for debate was this:

Why?

Sun Tsu said: To fight and conquer in your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tsu: The art of War
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 18:20

The why question, remains the best question ever.

According to Garp:

What is the purpose of philosophy?

To improve our lives using intelect and imagination. with the purpose of becoming better than (potential) adversary's, coping with nature's laws. And thus for survival.

Edited by tuxon
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 18:22

The student who got the highest mark on the exam wrote:

Why not?

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the basis of human life.

Sun Tsu said: To fight and conquer in your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tsu: The art of War
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 18:30
Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

Why not?

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the basis of human life.

Was the last sentence also included in this students reply, or did you add it?

Edited by tuxon
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 18:32
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

The why question, remains the best question ever.

According to Garp:

What is the purpose of philosophy?

To improve our lives using intelect and imagination. with the purpose of becoming better than (potential) adversary's, coping with nature's laws. And thus for survival.

Seems like a wordier version of mine, so well use it.

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 18:59
Next question would be, what is philosophy?
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 19:23

All:

From Websters:

Main Entry: phi·los·o·phy
Pronunciation: f&-'lä-s(&-)fE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -phies
Etymology: Middle English philosophie, from Old French, from Latin philosophia, from Greek, from philosophos philosopher
1 a (1) : all learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts (2) : the sciences and liberal arts exclusive of medicine, law, and theology <a doctor of philosophy> (3) : the 4-year college course of a major seminary b (1) archaic : PHYSICAL SCIENCE (2) : ETHICS c : a discipline comprising as its core logic, aesthetics, ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology
2 a : pursuit of wisdom b : a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means c : an analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs
3 a : a system of philosophical concepts b : a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought <the philosophy of war> <philosophy of science>
4 a : the most general beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or group b : calmness of temper and judgment befitting a philosopher

Main Entry: re·li·gion
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back -- more at RELY
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Just figured we should have a basic parameter before this thing gets so deep we can't get out of the hole we dig...

Peace.

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 19:41

According to Garp:

Philosophy. The science of things in their ultimate reasons, causes, and principles, acquired by the aid of human reason alone.

Religion. A system of belief about deity, often involving rituals, a code of ethics, and a philosophy of life.

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 20:00

There, now back to the philosophies themselves

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 20:54
The wall on which the prophets wrote
Is cracking at the seams.
Upon the instruments if death
The sunlight brightly gleams.
When every man is torn apart
With nightmares and with dreams,
Will no one lay the laurel wreath
As silence drowns the screams.

Between the iron gates of fate,
The seeds of time were sown,
And watered by the deeds of those
Who know and who are known;
Knowledge is a deadly friend
When no one sets the rules.
The fate of all mankind I see
Is in the hands of fools.

Confusion will be my epitaph.
As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back
and laugh.
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying,
Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.
THIS IS ELP
selling_echoes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 21:44

Ironically, that song was the song that led me to philosophy (vanity, here I come again) in the first place. I dare not say I'm philosophising.

Especially this passage :
Knowledge is a deadly friend
When no one sets the rules.
The fate of all mankind I see
Is in the hands of fools.

Edited by selling_echoes
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 22:03

My passing interest in philosophy was sparked mostly by some serious studies i did into greek cultrue and history. But in terms of music, although this song is not prog, i would recommend "Within you, Without you" by the beatles.

We were talking-about the space between us all
And the people-who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion
Never glimpse the truth-then it's far too late-when they pass away.
We were talking-about the love we all could share-when we find it
To try our best to hold it there-with our love
With our love-we could save the world-if they only knew.
Try to realise it's all within yourself
No-one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small,
And life flows within you and without you.
We were talking-about the love that's gone so cold and the people,
Who gain the world and lose their soul-
They don't know-they can't see-are you one of them?
When you've seen beyond yourself-then you may find, peace of mind,
Is waiting there-
And the time will come when you see
we're all one, and life flows on within you and without you.

I'm not a huge beatles fan, but I love that song and what it says.

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 22:46

Hangedman:

Bravo!   It took me multiple listenings to "get" Within You Without You (hey, give me a break - I was only 9 at the time...).  However, I'd have to agree that that song was as responsible as any other for setting me on a philosophical (and later "faith") path.  "Epitaph" was definitely another.

But, like you, my true philosophical development came from reading, not music (lyrics), despite the fact that music has been central to my life since age 5.

Peace.

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 22:54

When I was 15, I began taking yoga and Eastern philosophy with Swami Satchidananda.  One of my favorite aphorisms of his is the following:

"When we are born, we are 'fine.'  We are simply the 'I am.'  As we get older, we 'de-fine' ourselves by adding to the 'I am': I am male, I am white, I am short, etc.  And we continue to 'de-fine' ourselves throughout our lives: I am a New Yorker, I am an American, I am educated, I am talented, I am a doctor, etc.  Eventually, we have so 'de-fined' ourselves that we feel the need to 're-fine' ourselves by getting back to the 'I am,' even if only for a few moments a day, because the process of 'de-fining' creates constant stress.  Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid it."

Peace.

Edited by maani
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 01:31

Quote Apparently this was a question on a fourth year Philosophy exam at some university. The question for debate was this:

Why?

LOL, when I was in first year of University in Perú in 1980, I heard the same anecdote,  and the guy who told me the story was suposedly in that class. I'm starting to believe it's an urban legend.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
felixxx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 13:29
PHILOSOPHY is a greek word and a greek patent on the way of leaving and thinking, or it used to be because modern greeks dont care about these stuff anymore, unfortunately they care only to consume and consume and consume!!Τhey try to follow the western way of life, the sitting in front of a tv watching craps and eating fast food sh*ts way of life.I hope that they will awake one day!! Anyway it's spelled like that in Greek: ΦΙΛΟΣΟΦΙΑ.  

Edited by felixxx
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 17:30

In very general terms, philosophy and theology co existed and frequently overlapped until the late eighteenth century enlightenment, most notably (though not exclusively) with Kant's great critiques.

Since then, philosophy has mostly concerned itself with theories of knowledge - what do we know, and how do we know if it is true, whilst theology has dealt with the questions of God's existence and the meaning of life. Of course, both sides continue to engage with each other - Kierkegaard and Nietzsche both tried to tackle the problem of God's place in post enlightenment thought in radically different ways, whilst the Copleston History of Philosophy was the work of a Jesuit (to pick a couple of totally random examples), but there definitely is a line between the two disciplines. 

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 17:37
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

When I was 15, I began taking yoga and Eastern philosophy with Swami Satchidananda.  One of my favorite aphorisms of his is the following:

"When we are born, we are 'fine.'  We are simply the 'I am.'  As we get older, we 'de-fine' ourselves by adding to the 'I am': I am male, I am white, I am short, etc.  And we continue to 'de-fine' ourselves throughout our lives: I am a New Yorker, I am an American, I am educated, I am talented, I am a doctor, etc.  Eventually, we have so 'de-fined' ourselves that we feel the need to 're-fine' ourselves by getting back to the 'I am,' even if only for a few moments a day, because the process of 'de-fining' creates constant stress.  Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid it."

Peace.

Ive never really given that too much thought before, but the more I throw the idea around the truer it seems. So a quick question for anyone interested in answering, what are some of the personal methods we use for getting back to the 'I am'? (apart from music of course, unless you want to describe how you feel in a particularily deep experiance with music).

I'll take a shot first. I used to practise martial arts, and I was tought a method of controlled breathing meditation which i still use today. I also like long hot baths in which i think about absolutely nothing but my immediate surrondings. 

Share with us, I find it interesting.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 18:07

I have a philosophy for my philosophy. I think one has to have proof for his/ her faith. Faith is important, but not so important and essential that it is sufficient to support itself. I have two proofs for my Christianity:

A) If God wasn't real, why would 2 billion people in this world all follow Christ and profess that that he is alive and working his power? Why would there be a 10-figure following for a wacko with no supreme powers. People come to church because something is pulling them through those doors every Sunday. Teenagers don't testify in front of their skeptical and judging peers because they like being pressured. Jesus Christ is working each and all of his people to spread His news.

B) Second, it says in Genesis that we are created in God's image. This is evident. We are clearly separate from all other living things. For example, we have art, literature, super-science and technology, and advanced communication skills; things that other creatures don't have. That being said, if that part of Genesis is obviously true, what reason do you have not to believe the rest of it...or the rest of the Bible for that matter? Find a reason not to believe the rest of the Bible and PM me. I really would like to hear. For those of you who believe in evolution and the survival of the fittest, tell me, how did dogs and lions and tigers and bears survive when we are obviously so much more fit than them? Logically, doesn't survival of the fittest asure that the creatures that come out on top should be equally fit? YES!!!

Be enlightened and give your life to God!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>