Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKarnataka : overrated ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karnataka : overrated ?
    Posted: February 05 2005 at 08:56

There is a gap between my review of Karnataka's 'Delicate flame of desire' and the others :

KARNATAKA Delicate Flame Of Desire
Review by lucas biela @ 7:54:26 AM EST, 2/5/2005

PROG REVIEWER

0 stars  —  After I read the many good reviews about this album, I decided to put an ear to it. The least I can say is that I was very disappointed. From the descriptions I read, I was expecting some celtic traditional instrumentation blended with prog elements (something in the style of Clannad's 'Fuaim'), but what I heard is some insipid radio-friendly pop music. I don't even understand how such a band can be regarded as prog, as it is not very far from artists such as Lene Marlin or The Corrs. The same remark could apply to Mostly Autumn's music. Even the vocals, which are the only good point here, don't rescue the overall feeling I have about this record. I have nothing against pop : I like pop-prog (or art-pop if you prefer) artists such as Kevin Gilbert, Kate Bush, Rupert Hine, Tony Banks but here, the music doesn't make anything to me. As a prog album, I can't give any star and as a pop album, it doesn't even deserve more stars. I wouldn't advise anyone to purchase this album : this is IMHO a strictly commercial affair and if you want a sincere marriage of art- rock with celtic folk music, check out Clannad, Alan Stivell's 'Before landing' or Sally Oldfield's 'Water bearer', all three artists/bands proposing far more superior releases, both in terms of instrumentations and vocal harmonies.

Review by Adrian the Rock @ 11:39:34 AM EST, 1/29/2004

5 stars  —  My favourite album of 2004 by a long way, though it did take me about 20 hearings to really appreciate its subtlety. Rachel's singing gets better and better and the songs are well composed with engaging, intelligent lyrics. Karnataka are also fabulous on-stage entertainers! BTW they are from Wales though - not England!

Review by gary taylor @ 10:08:09 AM EST, 3/8/2004

4 stars  —  I went along to the Belfast gig to keep a Quo fan company and my only regret was that Karnataka did not headline. Having never heard them before I was blown away by their music and stage presence. Karnataka have a new fan in Ulster and I hope that they will return soon.

Review by Didier @ 7:53:29 AM EST, 3/23/2004

5 stars  —  The perfectl cd to listen to before going to bed or after a hard day. The voices are sublime, the guitars and keyboards so pure and the melodies so natural yet you can find some complexity after several hearings. Perfect in its style.

Review by Flinthills @ 11:05:00 AM EST, 5/12/2004

4 stars  —  Beautifully crafted melodic rock. The vocals are haunting and the the musicianship top class. This band deserves to be huge. The production is lush and song constructed. A worthy addition to the collection of fans of Mostly Autumn etc.

Review by Richard Rogers @ 4:53:08 PM EST, 6/1/2004

4 stars  —  Really 4 1/2 stars. Rachel Jones has the best female voice I have heard since the heyday of Anne Haslam and Renaissance. More of a prog-classic rock cross, with folk-Celtic influences, but not as much as Mostly Autumn. The entire CD is very good, with no weak songs to bring it down. The best songs are "Time Stands Still", "Strange Behaviour" and "Heart of Stone". Most of the songs clock in at the 5-7 minute range, with only "Heart of Stone" reaching epic length of 10:31. While the musicianship is excellent, it is the voice of Rachel Jones that carries your mind and soul away. Out of all the 2003 releases I bought, this was my my favorite. Highly recommended.

Review by Dominic Bourque @ 7:33:32 PM EST, 9/28/2004

4 stars  —  Rachel Jones WOW!!!!!! She have one of most beatifull voice in a world.The arrangement of baking vocals is so malodic and pure.I Listen this album for my relaxation. is very slow i think we have many prog asprct in a guitar and keys , but in general little pop(radio) music. There's why a recommande for all good music fan and prog fan.

So I was wondering : how one can discuss the progressiveness of Radiohead's music while here you have a perfect example of a non-prog band that wouldn't be regarded as such and rather be praised as a great folk prog band.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 08:58
All is subjective.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Richardw View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 09:56
Everyone has their own opinion, so if you don't like it, that's fine. I reviewed the album some months ago. I really like it, and gave it four stars. To each his own.
Mategra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 15:10

Yes lucas, I agree with you. I think Karnataka and Mostly Autumn are overrated.

If you want some really stunning and uplifting Celt-prog check out Iona!

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 17:48
Originally posted by Mategra Mategra wrote:

Yes lucas, I agree with you. I think Karnataka and Mostly Autumn are overrated.

If you want some really stunning and uplifting Celt-prog check out Iona!

Thanks Mategra, at last someone who understands me !!! I will check out IONA.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
 Post Reply Post Reply