Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Gabriel Is In Crossover!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 16:05
I'm still happy!
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 15:50
I agree with the move but i don't understand the sudden outburst of happiness. Is Peter Gabriel's music suddenly much better because he's been  moved to another genre?
I always thought he was ok and my opinion hasn't been altered by reading this.

Reading the reactions here it looks like there's some underground competition going on between bands where genre is more important than musical quality and discussions about genres overshadow the music itself, not a good thing IMO.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 16:19
I think that there should be a "former prog band member" sub-genre which can include all of the artists that belonged in a "classic" prog band at one point and then went on to do solo albums.  That way Phil and Pete can be together again with Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Mike + the Mechanics, and Tony Banks.  And Bill Bruford can be "grouped" with Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, and Chris Squire since all have solo albums.Wink

For what it is worth, I personally find the various genres and sub-genres are useful as a guide to give an idea of bands that might be similar in sound or character to bands that I already know, but obviously due to limitations you can end up with bands that are completely unrelated being included in the same genre.  It has been beaten to death in many a thread regarding how by their very nature there are many a prog band that defy categorization.  I feel that the Collaborators do a good job with what they have to work with regarding bands and genres.  As I read it, their goal is to try and keep a sub-genre into more manageable groupings.  Unfortunately, based on their categorizations the Art-Rock group consisted of 800 plus bands and it was decided that it was time to try and re-group into smaller more manageable groups.  I certainly can understand this and don't have a problem with it.  Admittedly, I don't fully understand the new categories and what they represent but hopefully with time I will get to understand them and I will benefit from these more compact groupings.  In all reality, if their goal was to group the bands into a category with a similar band, they could end up with 400 subgenres with only 1 or 2 bands each.

That being said, I agree with the previous poster that Peter Gabriel's solo music didn't just all of a sudden become more proggier because he was moved from Prog-related to Crossover prog.  It has just been deemed to be a better category for him. 

To all of the Collabs, thank you for all of your hard work in making this site such a wonderful resource for us prog rock afficianados to find new and old bands alike. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2007 at 16:32
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I think that there should be a "former prog band member" sub-genre which can include all of the artists that belonged in a "classic" prog band at one point and then went on to do solo albums.  That way Phil and Pete can be together again with Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Mike + the Mechanics, and Tony Banks.  And Bill Bruford can be "grouped" with Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, and Chris Squire since all have solo albums.Wink

For what it is worth, I personally find the various genres and sub-genres are useful as a guide to give an idea of bands that might be similar in sound or character to bands that I already know, but obviously due to limitations you can end up with bands that are completely unrelated being included in the same genre.  It has been beaten to death in many a thread regarding how by their very nature there are many a prog band that defy categorization.  I feel that the Collaborators do a good job with what they have to work with regarding bands and genres.  As I read it, their goal is to try and keep a sub-genre into more manageable groupings.  Unfortunately, based on their categorizations the Art-Rock group consisted of 800 plus bands and it was decided that it was time to try and re-group into smaller more manageable groups.  I certainly can understand this and don't have a problem with it.  Admittedly, I don't fully understand the new categories and what they represent but hopefully with time I will get to understand them and I will benefit from these more compact groupings.  In all reality, if their goal was to group the bands into a category with a similar band, they could end up with 400 subgenres with only 1 or 2 bands each.

That being said, I agree with the previous poster that Peter Gabriel's solo music didn't just all of a sudden become more proggier because he was moved from Prog-related to Crossover prog.  It has just been deemed to be a better category for him. 

To all of the Collabs, thank you for all of your hard work in making this site such a wonderful resource for us prog rock afficianados to find new and old bands alike. 

it is a better fit for him because he fits the definition of Crossover.. read it carefully... I make the point that it is a prog sub-genre ..that is different from the same old sh*t of side long epics, nebulous as hell lyrics, and blaa blaa blaa.  Prog was not about that... those were only characteristics of it... not things that made prog ...prog.  Prog fans should by the nature of the music we listen to...be fairly open minded.  But like life...  theory often doesn't translate to reality.  If so...I'd be calling you Comrade Rushfan1001 hahahha.

btw/

thanks.. and look for a X-mas card from the old AR team. Nice post

and I was kidding about 800...  it was aboutt 500 when that debate started... so ...hell... it might have been by now LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 02:14
Oh...that explains why I've reviewed a crossover album. I was worried, you know.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Clap Thumbs%20Up   great move

..and I wouldn't worry about Zep in Heavy.. they weren't prog (and I'm a Ledhead from way back)

(Psst! You move 'em to Heavy, and I've got this real keen Stairway to sell you!)
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 02:21
thank you rushfan4

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 02:29
At least someone who doesn't take us to task for real or imagined misdeedsWink...
Time Signature View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 10:24

But is that a genre as such. I see its value as a category, but I don't think it could be considered a musical genre.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 10:35
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

But is that a genre as such. I see its value as a category, but I don't think it could be considered a musical genre.

It's not a musical genre at all, and some of the artists Rushfan4 has mentioned have released albums that are not even prog-related. I don't understand... We are often taken to task for having added bands like BOC, Queen or Iron Maiden to the site (even though in PR, which they definitely are), when there are people who suggest adding Phil Collins or Mike and the Mechanics...Confused
Teh_Slippermenz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 18:38
Really?? YAY!!! PETER GETS A FULL-BLOWN PROG CATEGORY ON THE SITE NOW!!! LOL

PR wasn't the best place for him, I've always felt that his music was prog, even after he left Genesis. ("Mercy Street", anybody? Not your typical 80s pop song)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 23:04
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

It's not a musical genre at all, and some of the artists Rushfan4 has mentioned have released albums that are not even prog-related. I don't understand... We are often taken to task for having added bands like BOC, Queen or Iron Maiden to the site (even though in PR, which they definitely are), when there are people who suggest adding Phil Collins or Mike and the Mechanics...Confused

It was kind of a joke.  Basically I was reuniting the band members of these two classic bands by saying they should all be grouped together in a similar genre "former prog band members".  Hence the winking smiley face.  However, I am all in favor of the addition of Queen and Iron Maiden to the site.  I am only familiar with BOC's "hits" so I don't pass judgement there.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 08:26

^ I should mention that although that post was meant as a joke, where my thoughts lied towards that was the idea of having links to the complete discographies of members of prog bands.  i.e. if somebody wants to see what albums Phil Collins has appeared on they could click on his name and see Brand X and Phil Collins solo, etc...  That being said, I realize that AllMusic is already a resource for this type of search and that the purpose of PA is to cover Prog music, not All Music. 

First off, as I said in my previous post I respect the decisions of the Special Collabs and the site owners in regards to the genres decided and where the bands are placed.  Although I might not agree on all of them that is understandable on both sides.  Some bands could fit into multiple categories and it is a judgement call as to which genre that best fits them.  As I also mentioned at this time I don't fully understand what is meant by the various subgenres but this is due more to my limited knowledge of these terms.  I say this tongue in cheek, but to me the term Prog-Related would include Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel and Mike + the Mechanics because all 3 are pop bands that are "related" to Genesis the prog band because of the overlapping band member(s).  I understand that is not how PA defined Prog-related but to me that would be a literal definition.  Also, based on the six degrees of separation theory based on that line of thinking PA would end up including every band in All Music because somehow somewhere Cyndi Laupner is related to King Crimson because her horn player played in a jazz band that featured a guy who played in a band with Robert Fripp, etc... and that is most definitely not the purpose of PA.

I don't wish to enter this debate or rehash other thread arguments in regards to what I consider a fine line between prog-related and crossover prog and eclectic prog (which at this point I really have no idea what this is supposed to mean).   I suspect that there is some sort of standard measurement used such as if a band's music is "more than 25% proggy but less than 50% proggy" they are deemed prog related but if they are "more than 50% proggy but less than 75% proggy" they are crossover prog and if they are "greater than 75% proggy" they are eclectic.  As I said I realize that it is a judgement call and I respect that the Special Collabs are far more knowlegable about these items than I am and that much thought and discussion goes into where a band is eventually placed. 
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 00:02
Question for anybody:

If Peter Gabriel was never in Genesis in the first place, but had the exact same solo career (same songs, same everything), would you still call him prog?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 00:09
 ^ great question, and you make a good observation.. his music was undoubtedly progressive, whether it is prog rock is unclear.  I think what we see here is a love of this man's solo music and when compared to other pop music, it outshines it and is progressive.  But prog?  I don't know...   I supported his move but, in a way, he is the very definition of 'ProgRelated'

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 00:39

I say this tongue in cheek, but to me the term Prog-Related would include Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel and Mike + the Mechanics because all 3 are pop bands that are "related" to Genesis the prog band because of the overlapping band member(s).  I understand that is not how PA defined Prog-related but to me that would be a literal definition. 

No Rushfan, I know that, i wrote the prog Related definition that was approved by M@X and the Adm Team.

Prog Related is the category that groups bands and artists that:

- Without being 100% Prog, received clear MUSICAL influence of this genre, OR

- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community, OR

- Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog.

We specify the word MUSICAL because simple performance of a determined instrument in a Prog or mainstream band is not justification enough to include an artist, no matter how virtuoso he/she may be, Prog Archives has to evaluate their compositional work because the music is what determines the characteristics of a band or an artist.

(...)

Melgar Morey

There are three separete conditions that allow a band to be added, being part of a Prog band is not one of them. As a fact in the other parragraph it's specified that the simple performance in a Prog band doesn't give the artist the quality opf Perog Related.

The inclusion of an artist is only for MUSICAL/COMPOSITIONAL reasons, so Mike & The Mechanics or Phil Collins don't have a place here because in their solo work they never wrote a single Prog related note.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 28 2007 at 00:40

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 01:21
Hi Ivan:

Your position on post-Gabriel Genesis and Phil Collins' solo career are definitely well-known and expressed throughtout PA and I certainly have no intention of entering the battle waged on the Genesis Montreal thread. 

As I said in my post all that I was doing with my suggestion was having fun by "reuniting" the members of Genesis by suggesting that their solo bands be grouped together in the same made up sub-genre "former prog band members".  I am absolutely not suggesting that this genre be added; again I was only having fun with "reuniting" Genesis.  I believe that you overexaggerate with your comment about neither Mike or Phil writing a single prog note in their solo careers, but I also agree that neither of them are prog and that neither of them belong on Prog Archives. 

As far as the various sub-genres go, again, I respect the decisions and definitions that have been made by yourself and the other special collaborators and the site owners.  I realize that you have dealt with these various subgenres far longer than I have and that you definitely have a better understanding of them than I do.  I have read the definitions of these various subgenres and still find them somewhat unclear, but this again is probably more due to my lack of knowledge in these areas.  I am sure that there is a subtle difference between Prog-related and the Crossover Prog definitions that is taken into account by the decision makers when choosing the various bands' categories. 

Again I respect the decisions that have been made and I am not suggesting that any changes be made.  As an example, to me, a band like Iron Maiden is a heavy metal band that "crossed over" into prog with albums such as Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time.  But I also know that unless Ghost Rider works some magic it will be a cold day in hell before Iron Maiden is listed as anything but Prog-Related on PA.  It is what it is and the decisions that are made are the decisions that are made. 

Take care. 

Scott
ShipOfFools View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 02:15
Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

Question for anybody:

If Peter Gabriel was never in Genesis in the first place, but had the exact same solo career (same songs, same everything), would you still call him prog?

That's a good question, but if I had to answer honestly, I would say yes. Simply because his first few albums were highly influenced by Genesis(some songs on PG 1 sound like they could have been written by the band), and they fit snuggly under the prog rock genre.

However, if Peter had started his career at So, his music wouldn't be (and shouldn't be) considered prog (with a few exceptions.)

Edited by ShipOfFools - September 28 2007 at 02:16

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 02:32

Hi Ivan:

I believe that you overexaggerate with your comment about neither Mike or Phil writing a single prog note in their solo careers, but I also agree that neither of them are prog and that neither of them belong on Prog Archives. 

Never said Mike's solo career, I believe Smallcreeps Day could fit in PR, but Phil Collins necer made a prog song inn his solo career.

On the other hand, just explaining the point, because I heard this position repeatedly, I can't guess when something is a joke or is said seriously.

But don't worry not a Genesis Montreal thread, i'm also tired of that one.

Iván

BTW: If you noticed I have not posted a single time to support or not the Peter Gabriel movement to Crossover, so my position has nothing to do here.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 28 2007 at 02:34

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 04:46
Originally posted by ShipOfFools ShipOfFools wrote:

Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

Question for anybody:

That's a good question, but if I had to answer honestly, I would say yes. Simply because his first few albums were highly influenced by Genesis(some songs on PG 1 sound like they could have been written by the band), and they fit snuggly under the prog rock genre.

However, if Peter had started his career at So, his music wouldn't be (and shouldn't be) considered prog (with a few exceptions.)
You also have to consider his other albums, such as Birdy, The Passion, Rabbit Proof Fence and Ovo, while not being pop or rock, they do come under the prog umberella.
What?
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 09:18
 A good  decision I think.
 So something really positive related to the new sub-subgenres.SmileWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>