0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Gone Wild Life, Part Deux
    Posted: March 23 2008 at 22:48

I know that you all have been eagerly awaiting my tribute to the Oscar worthy video series, Girls Gone Wild, so I bring to you a second discussion thread/poll for Prog Gone Wild.  I have listed 25 bands from the letters F through H, with animal-ish names.  Same thinking as the 1st edition and my food poll/threads from earlier in the week.  I know that there are folks out there with knowledge of these bands.  Please share this knowledge with the rest of the class.  There are a few more recognizable names on this list, so maybe there will be a bit more class participation. 

If you are new to the site and not familiar with these bands this might be a great opportunity to learn about these lesser known bands.  If you see a band on the list that you would like to know about and it hasn't been discussed then please post and let it be known, because I am sure that the older more-experienced members would be more likely to participate if they know there is someone else out there interested in learning about a particular band that they are familiar with.

I will add additional Prog Gone Wild polls for the rest of the alphabet at a later time, but I am hoping that you will continue to participate and post in the Food-related band poll/threads and the first Prog Gone Wild poll.  For the old-time forum members I think that this thread is a great opportunity to talk about bands other than Genesis, Rush, Yes, ELP, KC, VDGG, GG, JT, and PF.  Most of the subgenres are represented so there is something for everyone to talk about.

This is as much or more about the discussion then it is about an actual poll.  The multiple vote option is allowed so please vote for as many of the bands as you would like to discuss in this thread.

Edited by rushfan4 - March 25 2008 at 07:49
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 22:54
I will follow up my first post with a link to a great thread that Avestin had started a while back that talked about A Helmet of Gnats, along with many other really good bands in a similar vein.  If you haven't seen this thread, you should check it out, and check out the links to some of the bands MySpace pages.  There is some really great music to be found. Thumbs%20Up

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 23:27
Moo.  Henry Cow appeals to my RiO and Canterbury side.  I'm really into Cow and Cow-Related music.

I like many here, though.  Finch is good, Fond of Tigers is very good from what I've heard, a local band I really want to see live, Frogg Cafe I really like,  Fuzzy Duck is good, Goblin is terrific, Gryphon is one of my oldest Prog loves, Hamster Theatre is good and gets extra marks for spelling Theatre correctly ;), Hawkwind is terrific,  A Helmet of Gnats is good from what I've heard, Honeyelk is very good, and I've been meaning to get that Horse Palace album.

Lots of great music here.
Astrodomine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 11:16
Hamster theatre are pretty good, I bought their last album and it's full of very good music.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 11:24
Oh wow, Honeyelk, I love their album (although I've only heard it in mp3 so far) - it's easy to tell apart from all the "groove" instrumental zeuhl bands because they actually wrote songs. Vocally similar to Ange or perhaps the italian scene. Not really as sophisticated as Magma but delightfully different.

Giant Squid's "Metridium Fields" is an interest post-something album, fairly gentle, expansive and lush. Not my scene but it didn't suck. ;P

I'm voting for Henry Cow because of their profound presence and influence among my favourite bands and songs. Go look at Logan's bizarrely titled thread about their offshoots for better info...

Funnily enough I've never heard any of Fish's solo work. I never liked Marillion (this is an understatement) so I don't really feel compelled to continue on to his own work.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 19:07

This thread didn't get as much attention as the previous threads, aside from my buddies above who have been kind enough to humor me and post in all of these threads that I have started. 

Fish is fairly well-known as the former lead singer of Marillion, and for his voice and stage presence  having a similarity to Mr. Gabriel.  A tidbit for Porcupine Tree fans, who might not be aware of this, but a certain Steven Wilson produced and performed on two of Fish's albums, Raingods with Zippos and Sunsets on Empires.  I like what I have heard from Fish's solo career, but I haven't  heard all that much.  I am still fairly new to Marillion, so I am even less so to Fish's solo career.  I have heard good things about his latest album, 13th Star, but I have yet to hear it.  Am I missing out on precious listening time by not possessing this album yet?  What says thee?

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 19:13
As I mentioned above in the listing of bands, Fond of Tigers is a new band. I'm not exactly sure how new they are, but they were just recently added to Prog Archives.  Here is a link to a thread started by (you guessed it) Avestin which suggested them for inclusion on the Archives.  As I said, they are relatively new to Prog Archives, so you should check them out and you might be the first on your block (or in your country) to post a review about this new band. So when they are rich and famous and there are thousands of reviews, you can brag that you knew them when...Wink

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45735&KW=fond+of+tigers&PID=2755259#2755259

Edited by rushfan4 - March 24 2008 at 19:15
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 19:24
I'll throw a few good words for the following:

Finch - When I'm in the mood for something with a great beat, jumpy as I like to refer to it, frisky and catchy, Finch do it very well for me.

Fond of Tigers - Recently discovered them and liked all I heard so far; when I'll have more money, I'll buy me some.

Frogg Cafe  - talk about a special sound and atmosphere; this band has this peculiar world they create with their special brand of jazz-rock/prog. I like all their 3 studio albums and recommend them. I thin I opened a thread for them as well.

Fuzzy Duck - nice and harmless psych/heavy rock band

Gecko's Tear  - Original progressive rock from Italy, started as a more metal band and then shifted. You can read the interview I did with them last year.

Giant Squid - Hypnotizing album by this metal band, talk about a trip!

Giraffes? Giraffes!  - still getting to know them but like it a lot so far.

Goblin  - soundtrack for horror movies... Read Philippe's blog !

Gryphon  - Anyone doesn't know them? If not, you should!

Hamster Theater - not at the top of the SMM school of RIO but I like what they do

A Helmet of Gnats - great music; looking forward to their new album to be released this year

Hoggwash  - still haven't heard them... Embarrassed

Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 19:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Moo. 

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 22:19
Gryphon: amazing. Red Queen to Gryphon Three is considered by many progfans as a masterpiece and they are....... Right! Check out the reviews, this recording is ultra-original, superquirky, tightly woven with superfluous playing (lead instruments: bassoon and krumhorn!) Yeah! Not really similar to Gentle Giant but heavily medieval and very english. Must have.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 22:22
Goblin's Roller is a ISP necessity! Fabulous rumbling bass, tight dual keys , gritty guitar and memorable instrumental music. Another slam dunker!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 22:27
Rushfan, if you ever want to see an amazing concert, you got to see Fish live, what an entertainer, arguably one of the funniest frontmen this side of Ian Anderson (or the late Uncle Frank Zappa) I think I read on PA that he is touring, if anywhere near you, swim there if you have to.  Vigil is a wonderful recording. Hug
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 22:40
Giant squid (which is a post metal band BTW).
Seltzer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 00:38
Nice job on the Fuzzy Duck... they're my favourite obscure psych band and I haven't until now met someone who has heard of them.

Edited by Seltzer - March 25 2008 at 00:38
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 10:57
Avestin did me a favor by bumping his thread regarding Gecko's Tear.  I seem to recall seeing it back when he created it, but since he resurrected it, I will provide those that are interested a link to his thread so you can check out what he and others have to say about this creative prog metal band from Italy.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 11:00
And since Avestin mentioned it in his previous post, here is a link to a poll that he created regarding Frogg Cafe's 3 albums.  I still have only heard Creatures, but I can definitely say that it is a wonderful album worth checking out.  The others are on the "list".

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 20:25
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Rushfan, if you ever want to see an amazing concert, you got to see Fish live, what an entertainer, arguably one of the funniest frontmen this side of Ian Anderson (or the late Uncle Frank Zappa) I think I read on PA that he is touring, if anywhere near you, swim there if you have to.  Vigil is a wonderful recording. Hug

He's so close, and yet so far.  Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland, and Toronto; but no Detroit.  I don't think I'll be able to make it out of town for any of those shows.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 16:18
oh man... no contest.. .popular or not

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 21:30
I put in two votes, almost put in a third, but realized it would be invalid:

The 'Almost Vote' almost went to Giraffe, though at the last minute, I realized that I'd simply be voting for them as I enjoy some of Kevin Gilbert's music.  I'd never actually heard a Giraffe song.

With that being said, Fish gets a vote.  13th Star is a great album and the song Darkstar is absolutely fantastic.  It's been in heavy iPod rotation since I first heard the song.

Also, Hoggwash gets a vote.  I'm just getting familiar with them, but I like everything that I've heard by them.  They remind me somewhat of Sylvan.
Weston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 21:57
A bit of a newbie to these forums, but I know Frogge Cafe somewhat.   A great band (which I now want to go listen to again.  I felt they started out as being Zappa-like, but by the album Creatures evolved into a unique experience, occasionally funny, but often a little creepy (in a good way).