Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Gone Wild Life-Have Yourself a Fifth

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What/who do you know of these bands?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [23.53%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
3 [17.65%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Gone Wild Life-Have Yourself a Fifth
    Posted: May 16 2008 at 23:23
Have a fifth on me!!!  You must be of legal drinking age to participate in this poll.  Wink  This is the fifth and final installment of my Prog Gone Wild Life series of educational prog polls.  There really is something for everyone included in this poll.  Cast a vote for the bands that you know in the poll, and take a little bit of time to recommend them to the rest of us.  I am familiar with a couple of these bands but I'd like to hear what you all have to say.

I have omitted Tartar Lamb and Tuna Laguna from this poll because they were previously included in the Food related prog polls.  If you would like to talk about these bands please track down those polls, cast a vote, and talk about 'em until your heart's content. 

Anyhow, participate responsibly.  And don't let friends vote drunk.

Edited by rushfan4 - May 16 2008 at 23:24
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 00:09
Vulgar Unicorn has a very original style , deeply disliked by our Sean Trane (yaye!) but I like it, yes I do !
Imagine sort  of Hatfield & the North meets Ozric Tentacles , sort of Cool Features lots of groovy, loopy tronics , trumpets and funny lyrics , Neil Randall on keys and Bruce Soord of Pineapple Thief fame on the guitar. All 3 records are amusingly good. Jet Set Radio is dab but I sort of like Under the Umbrella......
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 00:17
Wolves in the throne room=<3
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 00:40
1.- Sleepytime Gorilla Museum: Not my cup of tea, but I understand why Avant fans like them.

2.- Super Furry Animals: Don't understand why they are here.

3.- Tarantula: Very good Spanish band, inspired in early Italian Sy,mphonic bands, a good buy, specially Tarantula I.

4.- Unicorn: I believe that despite their clear Genesis influence, they should be moved to Prog Related, I heard them for the first time making a very good cover version of Afterglow in the Genesis Tribute album "The River of Constant Changes", but despite Dan Swano's efforts, their albums are disppointing.

5.- Yak:They were originally in Symphonic but moved to Prog Related, despite the terrible title, Dark Side of the Duck is a pretty decent album.

Iván

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 09:39
I'll mention two bands (not my picks, just for the info):

Skywhale  - they were formed in 1974 by Steve Robshaw in Bristol UK. If you read the bio it is full with  superlatives that I find over-exaggerated. A nice jazz-rock album, nothing spectacular but entertaining.
Listen here:

Yeti
A very interesting and intense mix of metal (heavy, crunchy, doomy), zeuhl, surrounded by a Red-era King Crimson sound. Both albums are recommended.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 16:33
Wow.  This last poll in the Prog Gone Wild Life series certainly died a quick and serious death.  Kind of like Friday the 13th 5 or Halloween 5 once the sequels reach this high the public loses interest.  I guess that was my lengthy way of saying "bump".

Edited by rushfan4 - June 04 2008 at 16:34
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 17:01
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I'll mention two bands (not my picks, just for the info):

Skywhale  - they were formed in 1974 by Steve Robshaw in Bristol UK. If you read the bio it is full with  superlatives that I find over-exaggerated. A nice jazz-rock album, nothing spectacular but entertaining.
Listen here:

I just gave the 4 Skywhale tracks on their MySpace a listen.  I'll agree with your assessment that it was nice entertaining jazz-rock but nothing spectacular.  And for what it is worth I mean that in a positive light, and not a negative one.  Thank you for the link. 

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 05:53
how about "Zzebra" (yes, with 2 Zs!)? a jazz-rock/fusion band that is not in the archives yet, to my surprise

Edited by BaldJean - June 06 2008 at 05:53

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 09:44
I saw Tubilah Dog supporting Hawkwind on a couple of tours in the early 90s(?). Usually Hawkwind's support band would be some terrible Heavy Metal band (any fans of Baron Rojo out there?) but Tubilah Dog fitted the bill perfectly. Classic Space Rock, very much influenced by Hawkwind. I looked for their album In Search of Plaice but couldn't find it anywhere...
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 09:51
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

1.- Sleepytime Gorilla Museum: Not my cup of tea, but I understand why Avant fans like them.

Not my cup of tea either.  But admittedly a leading member of the new "progressive" bands.  Truly progressing where music goes, but unfortunately what I have heard does not register well with the pleasing receptors in my ears. In reading various posts, I believe that El Bothy might be the expert and possibly the biggest fan of these guys.

I listened to the songs on their MySpace page.  Hard for me to gage based on 3 songs from one album from a band with 8 albums.  I kind of heard a little Moody Blues in the one song, but also some Talking Heads. 

3.- Tarantula: Very good Spanish band, inspired in early Italian Sy,mphonic bands, a good buy, specially Tarantula I.

Not familiar with them.  I will have to try and track down some samples to give them a listen. 

4.- Unicorn: I believe that despite their clear Genesis influence, they should be moved to Prog Related, I heard them for the first time making a very good cover version of Afterglow in the Genesis Tribute album "The River of Constant Changes", but despite Dan Swano's efforts, their albums are disppointing.

The name Dan Swano sounds familiar to me, but I am not sure why.  I am not familiar with this band either, but I would think that the Genesis influence would be generally a good thing. 

5.- Yak:They were originally in Symphonic but moved to Prog Related, despite the terrible title, Dark Side of the Duck is a pretty decent album.

I was able to listen to Dark Side of the Duck streaming on Last.Fm.  It is pretty mellow with some edgy parts and all instrumental.  I'm not sure that this is a good comparison but it kind of reminded me a bit of Camel's Snow Goose.  With a name like Dark Side of the Duck, one might expect it to sound like Pink Floyd, but I didn't really hear any Pink Floyd influences.

Iván

Thank you for the information.

Scott
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 09:57
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

how about "Zzebra" (yes, with 2 Zs!)? a jazz-rock/fusion band that is not in the archives yet, to my surprise

Hi BaldJean, I was limiting the bands to those in the archives.  I'm not familiar with Zzebra, although I am a little familiar with Zebra with 1 Z. 

Here is a link to the Zzebra MySpace page in case anyone is interested in following up with them.

And what the heck, while I am at it here is a link to the Zebra with 1 Z MySpace page too.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 09:58
I would like to mention the Deep Freeze Mice too. they were rejected from the archives when I suggested them, though I have no idea why Angry; the team must have been sitting on their ears, in my honest opinion Angry

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 18:11
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Iván back in blue: LOL

Not my cup of tea either.  But admittedly a leading member of the new "progressive" bands.  Truly progressing where music goes, but unfortunately what I have heard does not register well with the pleasing receptors in my ears. In reading various posts, I believe that El Bothy might be the expert and possibly the biggest fan of these guys.

Agree with you Rushfan, despite outr taste, thy sound new and fresh, they are one of the most trascendental bands in new Prog.

I listened to the songs on their MySpace page.  Hard for me to gage based on 3 songs from one album from a band with 8 albums.  I kind of heard a little Moody Blues in the one song, but also some Talking Heads. 

I don't kbnowm ,or me SPF has always been some sort of Techno (often mistaken for psyche), Alternative, Indie and Aorish combo, with nothing even remotely Prog that would justify their inclusion.

Not familiar with them.  I will have to try and track down some samples to give them a listen. 

You musyt get their albums, it's some soryt of Clñassic DSymphomnic mixed with Hard Rock and a touch of Spaon's etnicity, outstanding material.

The name Dan Swano sounds familiar to me, but I am not sure why.  I am not familiar with this band either, but I would think that the Genesis influence would be generally a good thing. 

Well, Dan Swano is the Tony Levin of Swedish Metal and Prog Metal, the guy is a multi instrumentalist who has played in such bands as Katatonia, Demiurg, Star One, Malstrom, Nightingale, Oddyssey, Edge of Sanity, etc etc.

That's why it shocks me his involvement with Unicorn, who are some sort of lame  watered Genesis inspired band, don't misunderstand me, I love Genesis and when I heard Unicorn's version of Afterglow in "The River od Constant Changes", I thought it wsa superior even to the original, but their own music is quite disappointing.

I was able to listen to Dark Side of the Duck streaming on Last.Fm.  It is pretty mellow with some edgy parts and all instrumental.  I'm not sure that this is a good comparison but it kind of reminded me a bit of Camel's Snow Goose.  With a name like Dark Side of the Duck, one might expect it to sound like Pink Floyd, but I didn't really hear any Pink Floyd influences.

This one still drives me crazy, I don't know what they pretended with the name and the ridiculous cover, the guys are really good, they make a decent album, but why do they make such an obvious reference to DSOTM when as you mention they have no connection with Pink Floyd?

Maybe they thought they would sellñ a couple more albums? They should had gone totally original, because they are very good

Iván

Thank you for the information.

You're welcome

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Being an OSIBISA fan Zzebra got my attention because of Loughty Amao, an excellent percussionist, and more when I found that in "Take it or Leave It" with 4 members of the Ghanian - African band, but honestly I see them more as Afro Funk.

If in OSIBISA they had a delicate¨Proto Prog - Ethnic soundm here they go fot a more early Disco oriented album with sytill some touches of World music more a la Eruption or EW&F (Even when better).

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply